• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy Poll - Positions 28, 29, 30, 31

28th to 31st  

237 members have voted

1. 1. 28th to 31st

66 posts in this topic

It was tough,but bye

Flash #105 (Origin retold + 1st Mirror Master)

Sgt Fury #1 (1st Sgt Fury)

Detective #225 (1st Martian Manhunter/ start of SA

JLA #1 (2nd JLA and 1st Despero)

and I can`t believe people were in favor of voting to drop the first appearance of Sgt.Rock over Sgt.Fury. hm

DC fan here throughout, and have to say I am surprised by Spidey 50 getting as many votes as it has, as I would put it near the top 10, as no other villain on this list is as relevant as he. Don't get me wrong, Doom is a killer villain but the Kingpin has been a major villain for two of the biggest marvel heroes. A hero often times is only as interesting as his nemesis and Kingpin really has quite a storied past. I would put it ahead of almost all the DC keys! I love my DC keys but think B&B 28 and OOAW #83 and maybe Tec #225 are better. I sound like a should be a marvel fan.
Kingpin...really?

Yeah, most of the DC books on the list are revamped Golden Age characters (which I love). And while I think their monetary value is cool and all, I don't think they are particularly relevant nor interesting. I have not read every story written about Hawkman or The Flash but I can say that I have never been impressed by that which I have read. The same can be said for GL for me. I did not grow up in the Silver-Age of comics and I would certainly be biased towards the stories from that era were I. I am basing my valuation on the character's affect on comics as a whole, and I see the Kingpin really being a well written protean character in the years since his creation and because he is a writers character, the stories he has been in are those that we go back and re-read. Who here has gone back and read the third volume of Green Lantern? I can't imagine a worse fate.

Man, I`d hate to imagine what you would say if you weren`t a DC fan. :baiting:

I am a little surprised that Flash #123 has gotten so many votes. The first mention of Earth II is a big deal in the DC universe, and even though it opened a huge can of worms (that really should have stayed closed) it was still a giant book in terms of its significance for the shaping of the DC universe. It may not be popular, but in terms of significance and impact it has to make at least the top 30 (especially over B&B #34, which shouldn't have made this list in the first place).

Yeah, it`s pretty shocking that Flash 123 may be in danger of going out this round.

I agree about B&B 34, though, and it`ll be one of my picks next round if it`s still around.

Interesting to see that with around 50 people to date the highest vote against is only 21 votes.

This poll will get harder and harder as books drop out as I think there are no obvious candidates after this round.

On another front if you were looking purely at the significance of a comic in the SA only and not the importance of the character from the SA to date then Sgt Rock would have outlasted Sgt Fury. But as Sgt Fury #1 is the first appearance of Nick Fury and he has had an increasing importance in the Marvel Universe then I see it lasting for at least a couple more rounds.

It was tough,but bye

Flash #105 (Origin retold + 1st Mirror Master)

Sgt Fury #1 (1st Sgt Fury)

Detective #225 (1st Martian Manhunter/ start of SA

JLA #1 (2nd JLA and 1st Despero)

and I can`t believe people were in favor of voting to drop the first appearance of Sgt.Rock over Sgt.Fury. hm

:censored:

lol

OK you guys are nuts. If there are are five DC books deserving in the top 30 Flash 123 has to be one of them. It more than any book led to everything the DC Universe has become.

Introduction of Earth II

Reintroduction of the golden age heroes

Introduction of all the continuity problems

Resulting in Crisis on Infinite Earths and all the Crisis series since.

Now whether you like it or not, it set the table in motion for this. Name one book Marvel or DC that was not a First appearance that has had more importance.

OK you guys are nuts. If there are are five DC books deserving in the top 30 Flash 123 has to be one of them. It more than any book led to everything the DC Universe has become.

Introduction of Earth II

Reintroduction of the golden age heroes

Introduction of all the continuity problems

Resulting in Crisis on Infinite Earths and all the Crisis series since.

Now whether you like it or not, it set the table in motion for this. Name one book Marvel or DC that was not a First appearance that has had more importance.

Amazing Spiderman #1

I went with ASM 3, ASM 50, Flash 123, and JLA 1.

Sad to see Sgt. Rock going, but it's not too surprising considering the number of cape-lovers here.

It`s all good, us Sgt.Rock fans will a nice big budget movie in the future :cloud9:

I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm about an upcoming movie. :eek:

There's an overwhelming amount of Marvel Zombie-ism going on in this poll.

But bye bye ASm #1, 3, 14, and 50. So not important to anybody but SPIDEY.

:hi:

Flash #123 in danger? (tsk)

Love it or hate it, Flash #123 is the foundation for much of DC's history for the last FIFTY YEARS.

It was quite clever in execution, and far more compelling than what Marvel did (albeit, working with a much smaller palette.)