• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EIDES ff's bring big $$$

102 posts in this topic

I HAVE SPENT A FAIR AMOUNT ON MY COLLECTION MYSELF, AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THOSE WHO TAKE PRIDE IN COLLECTING. WHAT I TAKE ISSUE WITH IS THE FACT THAT PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW ME, OR WHAT I HAVE, TELLING ME THAT I'M ENVIOUS. I HAVE NO REASON TO BE ENVIOUS

I couldn't have said it any better myself. If any of you jokers on the Boards can prove to me that you slept with Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima, then you can officially call me envious. If you think that dropping a bunch of dough on a comic book is supposed to fill me with envy, however, then please run along little boy, I have no time for you.

Gene

Gene, I deleted all my recent posts because it just isn't worth it. Instead of trying to convince these guys that there's more to life for some of us than a number on a slab, just go and enjoy your night as I'm about to do. It isn't worth it.

There seems to be more BSD/BS action with Silver Age collectors. You usually do not find this type of resentment/attitude in the Golden Age mix!

Timely

With the new generation of BSD's, there are three reasons for this:

1) They buy SA because they can relate to it and know nothing at all about GA.

2) They buy SA because these are available in high grade and it helps to feed their ego. They can't buy GA because these are not available in high grade and leads only to frustration.

3) They buy SA because these are still affordable in the 5 figure range for most of the key books in high grade. They can't buy GA becasuse these are well into the 6 figure range for key books in high grade which is even more than they are willing to spend on an individual book.

must be something in the air today around these boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

What do you mean TODAY? It seems like every post around here lately has eventually led to mean-spirited criticisms, innuendo and in some cases outright slander. Doc's posting about X-Men #1 selling on Comiclink somehow devolved into accusations of Comiclink manipulating prices, and his posting about Eides' FF sales somehow devolved into other imposing their value system on everyone else.

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off arguing with unreasonable people.

COI, if your initial post was a joke, then I apologize, but let's just say that without any emoticons to indicate you were joking, and given the acerbic nature of some of your prior postings, surely you can't be surprised that more than a few of us mis-interpreted your post.

There seems to be more BSD/BS action with Silver Age collectors. You usually do not find this type of resentment/attitude in the Golden Age mix!

Timely

Maybe because none of the really big GA BSDs frequent these boards... tongue.gif

A joke usually has a punchline, paraphased 'you're a comic loser' isnt really a joke.

Some things are better left unsaid, afterall going overboard on comics is hardly a high-crime as far as the sin wagons concerned.

cloud9.gif

Some of what you said about collecting SA is right on the mark. I have collected nothing but high grade Marvel silver for a very long time and am finally just about done with my marvel collection except a few upgrades. There was a recent post about collecting not being fun anymore and I have been thinking that also as far as high grade CGC marvel silver goes. You can't look at a CGC book and a lot of the prices have no resemblance to the guide or waht I knew about pricing for a very long time. The influx of speculators and book flippers and coin dudes etc is also a drag. But I am intent - tenacious if you will - and will finish what I started. What are the alternatives? To give up and sell off? These bubbles never last forever and things may have been pretty crazy for the last 6 months but it won't last. So back to Golden Age. I have startes putting together some GA books because I love the great covers from the 40s on the mainstream heroes. Also GA books in the 6.0 to 8.0 range seem like bargains compared to the over inflated SA prices. CGC grading is so strict that GA books in the 6 to 8.0 range look fantastic. Have recently picked up Batman 6 7.0, many Actions in the 25 to #40 range, some Flash etc all at or below guide. And am happy to have those books - i feel like I got a deal. i guess that is part of what has taken the fun out of the current SA/BA area - with cgc in the mix, there are no deals. You usually end up paying thru the nose for waht you have to have. That was part of the fun of cons and raw books - trying to dig up that great book at a decent price.

Thanks for sharing clobbertime--I admire your willingness to hang in as a collector despite market conditions. Your comment about GA grading being strict is interesting. I've read a lot on these forums about CGC grading GA books with a lenient eye, as they are much stricter on BA and MA books. I think the question here is: do we have different grading standards based on age of the book? CGC apparently does. Anyone want to comment?

Maybe we expect more of the newer books because they are newer and because of the premiums paid. I have about 50 cgc graded Golden Age books none higher than 8.5 , and am very happy with the price I paid and the appearance of the books.

I think the question here is: do we have different grading standards based on age of the book? CGC apparently does.

I don't think there is much to debate on this issue. Golden age often gets the benefit of the doubt, especially recently with some well-publicized resubs. But then, I personally think grading golden age is also harder and takes a bit of grading experience (compared to Silver/Bronze).

Sure. Read this thread. I recently discussed this very issue with Steve Borock. Grading variations by age.

Thanks for sharing clobbertime--I admire your willingness to hang in as a collector despite market conditions. Your comment about GA grading being strict is interesting. I've read a lot on these forums about CGC grading GA books with a lenient eye, as they are much stricter on BA and MA books. I think the question here is: do we have different grading standards based on age of the book? CGC apparently does. Anyone want to comment?

What do you mean TODAY? It seems like every post around here lately has eventually led to mean-spirited criticisms, innuendo and in some cases outright slander.

I haven't agreed with all of the "mean-spirited criticisms" and "innuendo" on the Boards lately, but remember, some of the targets of these comments are the same people who are:

1. Pressing books left and right and refusing to disclose it (insert the name of several major popular dealers here)

2. Fabricating stories about stock market losses to promote investment in comics on television (I'm "tripping" over my memory to remember which collector and Major Enterprise might have played a part in this, which other collectors will readily admit to me off the record was, at the very least, a terribly inappropriate move)

3. Maintaining opaque online ordering systems which, if they are not prone to manipulation, are at least capable of severely disappointing collectors who may have thought they actually bought something when they did not

4. Doctoring scans (if Redhook's CGG thread is to be believed)

5. Missing some resto (I believe CGC has been a big net positive to the hobby, but some of the photographic evidence is extremely disturbing)

6. Coming on the Boards to openly belittle those collectors/customers who haven't spent big coin on comics (at least 2 major dealers, 1 legitimate BSD and several BSD wannabes)

7. Hyping up investment in comics at what I believe are extremely dangerous levels (I get "dizzy" just thinking about who might be doing this)

8. Keyword spamming on eBay trying to sucker coinees to spend big $$$ on comics (you figure it out)

If some of my comments from the past couple of days have seemed unusually harsh, perhaps it's because it makes my blood boil to see people sticking their heads in the sand and blindly supporting and kissing up to all these dealers, BSDs and grading services as if they were saints, angels and heroes. Even if there is no "smoking gun" in some cases, with a track record like the above, collectors have every right to suspect the worst, ask pointed questions and challenge the status quo. There is an inordinate amount of greed and a surprisingly low standard of ethics in this hobby, I suspect even versus other collectibles. That is the real issue - not market crashes, not imposing value systems, not BSD envy. The sooner we all realize this, the better off we'll all be as a hobby. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Timely

That's because we GA collectors freely admit to our envy.

There is an inordinate amount of greed and a surprisingly low standard of ethics in this hobby, I suspect even versus other collectibles.

With regards to ethics, I think of comics as worse than coins but much better than cards--at least for now. Still lots of time left in the hobby for major scandals to arise! frown.gif

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off arguing with unreasonable people.

COI, if your initial post was a joke, then I apologize, but let's just say that without any emoticons to indicate you were joking, and given the acerbic nature of some of your prior postings, surely you can't be surprised that more than a few of us mis-interpreted your post.

Are you guys not seeing the grin.gif on that post? It's been there the whole time.

grin.gif is my way of saying that I'm joking. There was a time when most of the regular posters here knew me well enough that I never had these kinds of misunderstandings. But I've been posting less and less lately, and the number of regular posters has grown considerably, so maybe I should take that into account from now on. I'm not a liar, and I stand behind all my posts, so how many times did I have to say that I was kidding?

As for my posts being acerbic in nature; it isn't my intention, but if that's how I'm coming off, it's probably because my outlook on this hobby has grown steadily negative in recent months. With all the points Gene mentioned above, it's getting hard to remain positive. I guess it might be time for me to back off from the hobby for a while. I find myself getting more aggrivated with it, instead of enjoying it. It may be time to take a break.(From the entire hobby in general). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I completely agree. Can everyone take what people say a little less seriously and be a little less sensitive? We're talking about COMICS, for goodness sake. Remember, a hobby we are supposed to enjoy?

must be something in the air today around these boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

What do you mean TODAY? It seems like every post around here lately has eventually led to mean-spirited criticisms, innuendo and in some cases outright slander. Doc's posting about X-Men #1 selling on Comiclink somehow devolved into accusations of Comiclink manipulating prices, and his posting about Eides' FF sales somehow devolved into other imposing their value system on everyone else.

That is it! I have had it...if someon doesn't apologize to this BSD right now I am going to stomp up and down and hold my breath til I faint!!!!!

If I receive no apology soon the wheels will be set in motion...and you will rue the day you were ever born....

Of course I am just kidding...

Everybody just hold hands and smile while you read your funny books!

V