• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update: Storing Comics in Safes
2 2

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I keep a digital hygrometer that, aside from real-time temp/humidity, records min/max values. I just checked and min/max temps over the past month were 65/83 degrees, and relative humidity readings were 45/52. I think the humidity is ok, but the temp swing is too wide for books, right? Probably from the goldenrod, which generates heat...

What do y'all think? Okay for my books? Or no bueno...?

I am afraid that I can't give you any opinion about the temp swings. But I am definitely going to order a hygrometer with min-max indication for my safe as well now to keep an eye on the actual values of humidity and temperature. I live myself in Sweden and the inside temperature in our apartment is supposed to be more or less stable at around 72 degrees year around, but it will feel safer to actually see it being the case.

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

I am afraid that I can't give you any opinion about the temp swings. But I am definitely going to order a hygrometer with min-max indication for my safe as well now to keep an eye on the actual values of humidity and temperature. I live myself in Sweden and the inside temperature in our apartment is supposed to be more or less stable at around 72 degrees year around, but it will feel safer to actually see it being the case.

For what it's worth, I use the following: https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digital-Hygromter-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKQVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506959741&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+hygrometer

And it's always wise to calibrate your hygrometer upon receipt, I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-One-Step-Hygrometer-Calibration-Kit/dp/B000A3UBLA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1506959828&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=hygrometer+calibration+kit

I used to smoke cigars and learned about this stuff through that hobby...which is the target audience for these products.

Edited by Callaway29

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

I struggle with all this as well. I would really like to get a medium sized gun safe for a variety of valuables, including my best books. I'm encouraged that the dehumidification products seem to work well, so I may have to take the plunge on this sometime soon.

This is an old thread that was resurrected. Still very relevant. I have been using a large gun safe for going on 15 years with no problems. As mentioned above, I have an Eva-Dry inside the safe and run a dehumidifier during the warm weather. As an extra 'check' I have about a dozen, clean staples sitting open in an ashtray in the safe. I monitor them for any signs of rust and they have stayed clean. I originally had a goldenrod but I do not like it. I just don't think heat inside the safe is a good approach, also too much fluctuation. I have both raw and CGC slabs inside the safe along with the obligatory hand grenades(a reference to comments above). If you are going to purchase a safe, don't spare the cost. Buy a name brand, not a Costco special.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is an old thread that was resurrected. Still very relevant. I have been using a large gun safe for going on 15 years with no problems. As mentioned above, I have an Eva-Dry inside the safe and run a dehumidifier during the warm weather. As an extra 'check' I have about a dozen, clean staples sitting open in an ashtray in the safe. I monitor them for any signs of rust and they have stayed clean. I originally had a goldenrod but I do not like it. I just don't think heat inside the safe is a good approach, also too much fluctuation. I have both raw and CGC slabs inside the safe along with the obligatory hand grenades(a reference to comments above). If you are going to purchase a safe, don't spare the cost. Buy a name brand, not a Costco special.

Yes, I really went through a lot of threads looking for information about safes and comics and it was interesting to find this one as a follow-up of the original thread about the horror-story (that really scared me to be honest!). Thank you for the update and it sounds pretty safe to assume that with the right balance of humidity, regular airing and continued monitoring it should be fine. An Eva-Dry is already purchased and a digital hygrometer is on its way to me.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Pic of my safe..............

20160518_115725.jpg

20160518_120247.jpg

This looks awesome. And I love the Pope blessing the collection, lol. Mine is much smaller, with space for around 30 slabs and a drawer on the top, but it should do the job.

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

For what it's worth, I use the following: https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digital-Hygromter-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKQVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506959741&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+hygrometer

And it's always wise to calibrate your hygrometer upon receipt, I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-One-Step-Hygrometer-Calibration-Kit/dp/B000A3UBLA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1506959828&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=hygrometer+calibration+kit

I used to smoke cigars and learned about this stuff through that hobby...which is the target audience for these products.

Thank you so much for the info, I will check them out. I had no idea that you can (or should) calibrate it.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:06 AM, mysterio said:

I struggle with all this as well. I would really like to get a medium sized gun safe for a variety of valuables, including my best books. I'm encouraged that the dehumidification products seem to work well, so I may have to take the plunge on this sometime soon.

You and me both. My brother has been pushing me to get a safe for for a couple months now and this thread has a lot of useful information that I needed. I’m glad this got revived. 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:30 PM, SECollector said:

I am also considering to get a few of these slab pro portfolios to use for my better books inside the safe. Its more of a gimmick, sure but I think they will look nice and comfy in there.

s-l1600.jpg

Are they supposed to provide any extra protection for the books in regards to moisture in storage?

On 2/12/2011 at 5:36 PM, BronzeBruce13 said:

Recently I received a PM from Mintcollector about this topic (and other related questions) and tried to respond in the original locked thread below. I'm not sure why it was locked?, but I've included the link if anyone wishes to reference it. So, I'm forced to start a new thread.

Original Locked Thread on Fireproof Safes and Comic Storage

Following the unfortunate incident in 2006, I decided to test storing (much less valuable) CGC comics in the same fireproof safe (with desiccant) -- since there seemed to be some uncertainty as to the actual hazard a "fireproof" safe, in particular, presented. There was an assertion at the time from another "fireproof" safe owner (that used some sort of desiccant) in which he declared he had experienced no such problems while using a fireproof safe with a desiccant.

Even though the damage to my books appeared to be *corrosive* (not just rust) -- I had not been using any desiccant at all. I was oblivious to the need unfortunately. Anyway, I purchased reusable desiccant products from "Eva-Dry" (see pic below) and carefully monitored the books within that same fireproof safe. After 4+ years now, I've had no problems at all. I now believe that the "fireproof" aspect of the safe's construction (whatever is added that is not present in "non-fireproof" safes - possibly chemicals and/or insulation) has little to no impact *IF* a proper desiccant product is being used and maintained*. The apparent corrosive appearance of the staples suffered on some of my CGC books may just have been typical advanced rust decay -- or even possibly an additional unknown reaction to the air-freshener I also had within my safe but did not consider to be relevant at the time. Maybe it was, especially combined with the humidity that built within.

Anyway, the most important factor here is proper desiccant usage and maintenance. I believe the "Eva-Dry" products to be very effective and affordable -- and convenient too. I originally bought an intermediate model (EDV-300) which I had to service approximately every 3 weeks. Later, I bought the (High Capacity) model that can go for 6-8 weeks (in the size safe I have).

After these Eva-Dry products become saturated with moisture, the silica within turns a different color to alert you (pink for moist, blue for dry). The size of the safe will impact the "service timing" needed. I emphasize that you will need to check the units manually and develop your own "check schedule" depending on the unit purchased, conditions around the safe, and size of your safe. Once saturated, you simply plug them in, they heat up, dry out, and are ready again to absorb moisture -- after they cool down. I now use both units in my safe as they don't take up much room and I can go 2 months+ without thinking about it.

I was also asked about "safety deposit boxes". I researched that option too (years back) and the bottom line seems to be the individual conditions that are (or are not) maintained by the provider. Having a stable, reasonable temperature is obviously important, but so is the humidity control. Anyone considering this option should obtain the exact specifics from the provider. If the answers are not clear -- I'd be cautious.

I'll answer any questions I can -- if anyone has any.

*It is a fact that some (possibly all) "fireproof / fire resistant" safes are prone to develop >more< moisture than "non-fireproof" safes since many contain insulation, which in turn, contains water crystals; thus the high content of moisture.

109222.jpg.786bb553a4b0dab46c87ce250247a8ad.jpg

Thanks a million for this information! This is a super important thread! I just bought these for a smallish fire proof safe even though it came with 3 silica bags. I think I'll only use 1 dehumidifier though. Thanks again https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier-2-PACK/dp/B00LVN7BM0/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary

Fireproof safe ? there was bad fire in my area hundreds of home's on fire someone I know had a nice fire proof safe with document's and other things and the safe was not so fire proof all burned. Does anyone know how long most safe are fireproof ? I have read most safes are 45 min fire proof than things burn and these homes where on fire for hour's

Edited by woowoo

34 minutes ago, zupaphly said:

Anytime this thread gets revived it freaks me out, and makes me want to go check on my safety deposit box... 

Tell me about it. I discovered this thread after I purchased my small fireproof safe. I believe however that there should be no issue if the humidity is monitored regularly and controlled by a dehumidifier. I suspect that the damage in this horror-story was caused by another factor, as stated in the first thread "The apparent corrosive appearance of the staples suffered on some of my CGC books may just have been typical advanced rust decay -- or even possibly an additional unknown reaction to the air-freshener I also had within my safe but did not consider to be relevant at the time."

This is my simple set-up: I use a pretty small safe, that holds however at least 30 slabs, along with a digital hygrometer, that registers also min and max values of humidity (and temperature) and I keep inside an Eva-Dry dehumidifier that I check a couple of times a week. I may actually add another one, even if the humidity is pretty good with this one (usually at around 37-38, but I have a max value at around 45).

Anyway, this works probably better than a CGC box. And definitely much better than a safe deposit box in the bank for me, since I really enjoy having my books around :-)

Edited by SECollector

8 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Fireproof safe ? there was bad fire in my area hundreds of home's on fire someone I know had a nice fire proof safe with document's and other things and the safe was not so fire proof all burned. Does anyone know how long most safe are fireproof ? I have read most safes are 45 min fire proof than things burn and these homes where on fire for hour's

Most of them are supposed to hold for 60-90 minutes. For me personally, this is just an extra feature. I just want to make it harder for any wannabe thieves. I hope that I will never need to find out if the "fireproof" aspect really works ¬¬.

Just now, SECollector said:

Most of them are supposed to hold for 60-90 minutes. For me personally, this is just an extra feature. I just want to make it harder for any wannabe thieves. I hope that I will never need to find out if the "fireproof" aspect really works ¬¬.

(thumbsu

Just my two cents on the "Fireproof" part of these Safes.  They are designed to prevent paper from combusting for up to 90 minutes, BUT that is not the same as keeping a comic stable in an environment where bad things don't start to happen condition-wise.  I Assume that if I have a fire that lasts for an hour that my slabs are toast.   My safe is to keep sticky fingers away from my slabs, and it is indeed bolted down...  To the cross-beams with 4-inch lag bolts.  :)