• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ultimate, "judge the book not the grade?"

59 posts in this topic

First, see this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=50&Number=3938908&Searchpage=19&Main=189316&Words=Bill+Robinson&topic=0&Search=true#Post3938908

Look at the book in the slab - same book, no doubt.

marvel_feature1cgc92_front.jpg

marvel_feature1cgc92_back.jpg

Now look at the grade:

marvel_feature1cgc92_header.jpg

Am I crazy, or did CGC give me a huge grade bump? How is this a 9.2? Maybe some of you have seen crazier examples of generous grading, but this has to be on the list.

It's not a 9.2 in my eyes but sometimes you roll the dice and you win...other times the house wins.

I have 6 comics at CGC right now with a "scheduled for grading" status. Man I hope they are as generous as some of the comics I have seen lately...

Really? With that soft top left corner, the staple wearing through the cover and the bend at the bottom right of the bc?

The soft corner is a defect, but the staple wear and the bottom right on the back cover are indicative of square bounds and treated as production.

The staple wear doesn't really come into play unless it pokes a hole in the cover.

I know that cgc uses a different standard than overstreet, but i'm looking at my 1/3 complete overstreet guide that i borrowed from the library and on page 140 of the August 2006 edition is a comic that looks worst for wear than this one that is overstreet graded as 9.2.

Based on the overstreet standard, this looks like a 9.2 to me.

With that top left corner, I would think it would keep it out of the 9.2 range....congrats on the grade though. If I submitted it and it came back a 9.2 I would be pleased

I am - I'll be able to get about $60 more out of the book than I should have. I'm just really surprised. I am also stunned by CGC's seeming infallibility in some people's eyes. (shrug)