• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ultimate, "judge the book not the grade?"

59 posts in this topic

With that top left corner, I would think it would keep it out of the 9.2 range....congrats on the grade though. If I submitted it and it came back a 9.2 I would be pleased

I am - I'll be able to get about $60 more out of the book than I should have. I'm just really surprised. I am also stunned by CGC's seeming infallibility in some people's eyes. (shrug)

It's not that CGC is infallible. That book is a CGC 9.2. Is it a a Flaming_Telepath 9.2? No, it isn't. CGC weighs certain defects heavier than others and some, deemed production defects, not at all.

With that top left corner, I would think it would keep it out of the 9.2 range....congrats on the grade though. If I submitted it and it came back a 9.2 I would be pleased

I am - I'll be able to get about $60 more out of the book than I should have. I'm just really surprised. I am also stunned by CGC's seeming infallibility in some people's eyes. (shrug)

It's not that CGC is infallible. That book is a CGC 9.2. Is it a a Flaming_Telepath 9.2? No, it isn't. CGC weighs certain defects heavier than others and some, deemed production defects, not at all.

joecollector's X-men 94 is a good example of the flip side. It is CGC 4.0 that looks waaaaaayyyyyyy better than that.

The ding on the back is not a production defect. Yes, grading is subjective, but I have a couple of 8.5's that are much nicer than this book. My point is not that I'm unhappy with the grade or that there is only one standard. My point is this - I personally don't know anyone who grades books that would see this one as a 9.2. In fact, everyone on the PGM thread said it looked like a 7.5 - 8.5 MAX. For CGC to give this book a 9.2 is a mistake. A happy mistake, but a mistake all the same.

The ding on the back is not a production defect. Yes, grading is subjective, but I have a couple of 8.5's that are much nicer than this book. My point is not that I'm unhappy with the grade or that there is only one standard. My point is this - I personally don't know anyone who grades books that would see this one as a 9.2. In fact, everyone on the PGM thread said it looked like a 7.5 - 8.5 MAX. For CGC to give this book a 9.2 is a mistake. A happy mistake, but a mistake all the same.

Send it back and get it regraded? (shrug)

Maybe it will come back an 8.5 next time.

I've spoken with CGC graders before about Marvel squarebound books (e.g. GS X-Men 1, UXM 137). They have shared how these are graded a little more lenient because of the production process involved.

That's why with the PGM section you have to be careful. You'll get folks that grade books by the same standard all the time, no matter if it is Golden Age, squarebound, or books with known production defects. There is a difference.

Yours is the final judgment in the end what to expect.

looks like some boardies can't grade. hm

Is that directed at those that don't agree with CGC's opinion grade?

I think it's directed at those people who called this book a 7.5 (which it clearly isn't) :gossip:

No, it's not. Equally, it's not a NM-. It's a CGC 9.2, but my point is that failure to agree with CGC's opinion is not an indicator that you can't grade.

Hell, looking at a number of the books in the grading contest, I'd suggest it's possibly the opposite. :/

Well, send it back to CGC and ask them to kindly place the book in a holder with an 8.0 label. (thumbs u

Well, send it back to CGC and ask them to kindly place the book in a holder with an 8.0 label. (thumbs u

Better yet, buy the book from me for the 12 month gpa - $250 and you re-sub it. You and Timmay can split the cost. (thumbs u

Better yet, buy the book from me for the 12 month gpa - $250 and you re-sub it. You and Timmay can split the cost. (thumbs u

I don't want it... regardless of the grade. :gossip:

Knowing Timmay, I'd say he doesn't want it either. hm

However, if I resubbed it, I bet I could get it up to a 9.4. :o

I just want to give kudos to the OP. It`s not often that a boardie comes on and publicly admits that CGC gave his book a gift grade. (thumbs u

You can now expect Gman to offer you a lowball price, which he will justify by pointing to the soft top left corner, the staple wearing through the cover and the bend at the bottom right of the bc. :baiting:

I got the opposite with my last submission.

I had two INSANE Captain Marvel #2s. Both looked to be 9.6-9.8. I was only going to submit 1 but couldnt decide which was nicer so i sent both in. 1 came back a 9.6, the other a 8.5. I called for the graders notes and it said 1/3 inch tear on the bottom staple.

Apparently, in shipping or at CGC the bottom staple pushed in the tiniest bit causing a tear that you really cant even see. Other than that tiny tear you cant see without a magnifying glass, the book is a strong 9.6 at worst. Because of that tear though, i now have without question imo, the NICEST 8.5 book on the planet :censored:

The 9.6

cm296.jpg

And the worlds SICKEST 8.5

cm285.jpg

I had two INSANE Captain Marvel #2s. Both looked to be 9.6-9.8. I was only going to submit 1 but couldnt decide which was nicer so i sent both in. 1 came back a 9.6, the other a 8.5. I called for the graders notes and it said 1/3 inch tear on the bottom staple.

Apparently, in shipping or at CGC the bottom staple pushed in the tiniest bit causing a tear that you really cant even see. Other than that tiny tear you cant see without a magnifying glass, the book is a strong 9.6 at worst. Because of that tear though, i now have without question imo, the NICEST 8.5 book on the planet :censored:

This is a much more typical post after receiving CGC`s grades. lol

The problem is that CGC grades square bounds differently than other books. It is just a fact. The glued spines/oddly stapled books are different than a typical book because of the way they are made. There are flaws which turn up due to the production of the book. They also don't tend to down grade for miscut books.

Aside from that, this book probably would have gotten a 9.4 if you had that corner crease pressed out.

Strictly speaking it is a 9.2, just not a very attractive one. I think everyone here will agree that all books of a certain grade are not the same, and they certainly don't have the same eye appeal.

This is a much more typical post after receiving CGC`s grades. lol

lol

For me it usually is! I was actually VERY happy with my last 30 book submission since it had a TON of 9.8's but this one book REALLY annoyed me.

That TINY, minute little tear knocked this down from a monster 9.6-9.8 to a $20 8.5. My 8.5 CM2 is the ultimate buy the book not the label. If i had never posted it and let them use it for the grading contest, i'd bet anything that 90% at least would have voted it at least a 9.4.

Oh well, what can you do (shrug)