• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ultimate, "judge the book not the grade?"

59 posts in this topic

On a side note, if i send CGC a pack of Windex wipes, do you think they would actually wipe down their scanner for freaking once?!?

Look at all those damn smudges on their imaging! $3 a book and its covered in smudges (tsk)

The problem is that CGC grades square bounds differently than other books. It is just a fact. The glued spines/oddly stapled books are different than a typical book because of the way they are made. There are flaws which turn up due to the production of the book. They also don't tend to down grade for miscut books.

Someone should have pointed this out before.

Oh - wait... (:

On a side note, if i send CGC a pack of Windex wipes, do you think they would actually wipe down their scanner for freaking once?!?

Look at all those damn smudges on their imaging! $3 a book and its covered in smudges (tsk)

CGC does not scan books for imaging.

The images are photos/digital camera,with the back ground cropped to the edges of the holder.I've asked this stuff of CGC before.

It may however be a dirty camera lense.

If it is the smudging in the black you are referring to, it may just be the digital medium. I just can't get this ST135 to scan with the smooth dark purple that exists on the book. The colours are far nicer than the scan suggests. It's a bit frustrating.

The scanner, in this case, picks up uneveness in the colour that my eye does not register.

ST135FAug65.jpg

Squarebacks are VERY hard to grade. I had a DD GS #1 that graded a 7.0 the first time a I sub'd it. After 2 more submissions of the book within a years time, I finally agreed with the grade they gave it of a 9.0.

Squares are very subjective to CGC.....

Squarebacks are VERY hard to grade. I had a DD GS #1 that graded a 7.0 the first time a I sub'd it. After 2 more submissions of the book within a years time, I finally agreed with the grade they gave it of a 9.0.

So a 7.0 can be a 9.0 without any manipulation? hm

Am I the only one who thinks this is appalling? (shrug)

No, I think it's fishy.

No, I think it's fishy.

hm

Some of my most atrocious grading gaffes have been squarebounds. Is this my redemption?

Some of my most atrocious grading gaffes have been squarebounds. Is this my redemption?

NO, Stumpy.

NO, Stumpy.

:cry:

The images are photos/digital camera,with the back ground cropped to the edges of the holder.I've asked this stuff of CGC before.

Then how do they deal with reflection from the case? I've tried polarizers, different angle lighting, very low F stops, but I keep getting some background artifacts. The only thing I have been unable to do is shoot it in a 100% dark room shooting from behind the lights.

No, I think it's fishy.

Whats fishy about it?

This was many many years ago. And after the book got the grade it deserved, I stopped subbing to CGC for nearly 2 years. And no, I never sent the book for pressing or had it altered in any way. Just different grades from what I assume would be different graders from one year to the next.....

I've had it go the other way as well. Sent a square to be slabbed, came back another 7.0 that I didn't agree with, uncapped it, resubbed and it came back a 6.0!

Wasn't trying to sound absurd, just giving my example of squared submissions.

Then how do they deal with reflection from the case? I've tried polarizers, different angle lighting, very low F stops, but I keep getting some background artifacts. The only thing I have been unable to do is shoot it in a 100% dark room shooting from behind the lights.

I have no idea,as i've often wondered the same thing,as my pictures always have glare/shadows,ect also...Which is why i asumed they scanned the books.

I asked CGC for higher resolution scans,and the first thing they told me was "The images are not scans,we use a camera also."

Call CGC and ask for the imaging department and see what they can give you for pointers...