• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decent price?

48 posts in this topic

Actually I have been wanting to say this for the last day.

DC Comics did not expect to cater to off center pickers in the 1940's

If you read the CGC census only what 6 are in the high grade including mine.

IF my book were cleaned as CGC said would the dirt on my book have been removed??and My book if in your grade spiderman would be worth

$50,000 tongue.gif

Neither Marvel nor DC catered to "off center pickers" until the late 1990s. Marvel's comics from the 70s are particularly bad. However, about 1 or 2 in 5 copies seemed to roll off the stands with decent centering on almost every comic from every age...I usually hold out for those.

Cleaning can't get everything off, according to Susan Cicconi. So if the stain is bad or something that is non removable, then the can only clean what can be removed. CGC will still say that it's been cleaned if they think that any part of the book has been cleaned.

Slight surface dirt is easy to remove.

This is why I think there was a mistake in the grade this book recieved.

One particular point on the back would have been easily removed but it is still there.

I had books restored before and had a cleaning to them the end result was a super brilliant cover with 90% of all the dirt and stain removed.

This book however has the signs of every UNRESTORED book to ever catch my eye.

I think I will re-submit, but in all honesty do you really think that if confronted on this issue would CGC reconsider it's grade and change to a universal??

Even if they were proven wrong they would have to deny it and stick to there guns as it would create a snowball effect to all of the other comics they graded.

They would not want that to happen.

If you read the guarantee on the back lable it does say that grading is subjective and varies. CGC does not guarantee it's grade will be accepted everywhere. wink.gif

Yes but that certainly doesn't mean that it's NOT restored. No offense to you ablue, but I think I'd take the opinion of a certified professional like Friezen (sp?) over yourself. He may be wrong, but if I had to bet between the two of you as to which is more likely right..I'd be going with him :\

Good luck with the resubmit though

Brian

Personally, I would consider this...

If you re-submit the book and it comes back purple 'cleaned and pressed' again, I would contact Matt Nelson and ask him what he would charge you to clean and press the book himself. Send him the scans and see what he thinks.

If CGC is going to list your book as 'cleaned and pressed' no matter what you do, and you think there is cover soiling that was not cleaned, why not have the work done yourself?

Send the book to Matt (or another resto expert if you have a favorite), have him clean and press the book, nothing more. He will submit the book to CGC directly including his paperwork on the resto work that he did.

You might very well wind up with an 8.0 that still shows the same level of resto, and better eye appeal to boot...

Just a thought...

----

As far as the original post in this thread, I think you got a great deal murph. That's a TOUGH book to find at 9.6 and its value is far more stable than some random 9.8 book from 1977 whose only value is from a multiplier. Less than 4x guide for a semi-key 9.6 is not bad at all. I can't see you ever losing money it.