• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big Book Of Fun Comics

128 posts in this topic

I would like to pool all of our collected knowledge and try to work out how many copies are known of this rarity.

It came out in 1936 as the first "annual" from DC.

It collected the first five issues of New Fun, and was apparently only available at Woolworths.

And it now has the distinction of being my most wanted comic out of the fourteen.

Christine apparently has one.

Al Stoltz had one but traded it.

Metropolis had one about ten years ago - this may or may not be the same one that Al Stoltz had.

Harley says he's never ever had one for sale himself.

Does ANYONE know of any other copies ???

Does ANYONE on these boards actually possess a copy ???

We can't even ask CGC how many they've ever slabbed, as it's too big a size to be slabbable.

Please everyone, have you ever seen one ????

This is the closest I've ever come to seeing a copy. That starting price is sure looking like a bargain.

Oh I just KNOW I'm gonna regret asking this, but when was that ??? And where ??? And can we trace who bought it ???

Hi, Ian! That was an auction I found in The Comics Buyers Guide from November 1996. The seller was "Clubhouse Comic Auction" in Michigan. I doubt if they are still around as their name doesn't jump out at me as being one of the Big Dealers. frown.gif

That was an auction I found in The Comics Buyers Guide from November 1996. The seller was "Clubhouse Comic Auction" in Michigan. I doubt if they are still around as their name doesn't jump out at me as being one of the Big Dealers

Time for us all to become amateur detectives (that's why it was called Detective Comics).

That's eight years ago.

Can we find out who ran the Clubhouse Comic Auction ???

If we can find out who bought it, maybe the trail can be followed.

Imagine if some unsuspecting casual collector paid three hundred dollars for it, stuck it away in his attic for the last eight years, and here I am about to give him five thousand for it.

He would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO pleased, if only we could find him.

One of the midwest dealers had a copy in the 96-97 time frame.

It was featured on the front of their catalog. I want to say it was

John Hauser, but I really don't remember.

I've been trying to find the catalog, but can't locate it right now.

Is this the book you are looking for?

I can tell you from experience that it is the rarest DC. Period. In the nearly 30 years I have been collecting I have seen three copies (not including the obscenly priced "Lost Valley" copy), and one coverless copy. One copy was good-, and the two other copies were in the fair range. I bought it from a New York collector about 3 years ago. He had it for many years.

Good luck finding one.

the%20big%20book%20of%20fun%20comics%20smaller.jpg

Not as rare as Double Action #3!!!!! insane.gif

Is this the book you are looking for?

I can tell you from experience that it is the rarest DC. Period. In the nearly 30 years I have been collecting I have seen three copies (not including the obscenly priced "Lost Valley" copy), and one coverless copy. One copy was good-, and the two other copies were in the fair range. I bought it from a New York collector about 3 years ago. He had it for many years.

Good luck finding one.

the%20big%20book%20of%20fun%20comics%20smaller.jpg

So what's the current over/under on how many times Ian will call goldencomics at his house begging him to sell the book?

I got some money I want to put on the "over".... devil.gif

The over is 95. I'd like to place a bet on the over as well. Any takers?

So what's the current over/under on how many times Ian will call goldencomics at his house begging him to sell the book?

I got some money I want to put on the "over".... devil.gif

Doesn't have my number, and it isn't for sale. grin.gif

Doesn't have your number? Pffffttt....

This is IAN LEVINE we're talking about!

Doesn't have my number, and it isn't for sale. grin.gif

Heck, I probably just found it after only two minutes of searching. Doncha just love the Internet? smile.gif