• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Marvel Super Special #7

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was trying to put together a set of Marvel Super Special, I am down to needing 3 more..the 2 Kiss issues and the other one is issue #7. I dont think I have even seen issue #7. I looked in Overstreet and it says "#7 Sgt. Pepper Movie adap. withdrawn from U.S. dist. (french ed. exists)" Does anyone have information on this mag? Have a scan of the cover? Why it was withdrawn? Thanks for any help!

Frankie

From Wikipedia:

Marvel Super Special #7, an adaptation of the film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, was never published in the U.S. "because the book was late and the movie proved to be a commercial failure," according to a contemporaneous news account, which added, without substantiation, that, "Reportedly, Marvel's adaptation was published in Japan."

Penciler George Pérez, who with inker Jim Mooney supplied art for that issue, recalled that Marvel had "...nearly zero cooperation from the Robert Stigwood company [which produced the film] and we didn't realize that the -script was still in so much flux that things we were putting in the comic were not going to appear in the movie and things we didn't know about were going to be added to the movie. The plot was so convoluted and cheesy — even on the printed page — and after a while we realized it was not really going anywhere. They said they were going to have all these superstars appear at the end of the film and, of course, in the end they couldn't get them — not that we could have used them anyway, because we didn't have the licenses to use their likenesses. Also, I was paired with a very incompatible inker because the book was running so late. I was doing a terrible job on it, Jim Mooney was a terrible fit for me — though he did the best he could — [and] it was just one disaster after another. It was one of the nadirs of my career. I was so grateful that the book never got an American release. I've yet to see a copy of Sgt. Pepper."

I made this thread two years ago and never even saw a copy of this magazine. Today I got a copy! If it were not for the message board that might not have ever happened. I still have never seen a copy of this mag sell, or be offered for sale. I was just lucky to begin to talk to a board member who knew someone who had one. I am just down to needing issue #5! one of the KISS issues to have the complete set.

Marvel Super Special #7 :headbang:

a554e06e6448aefc3926db6ad8f17668_zps34773564.jpg[/img]

I did a whole thread about this book a while ago. I bought mine from a guy in Belgium who had no idea what it was worth or how rare it is. I bought it for virtually nothing. I understand it is worth between $500-1000. I don't think you will find one in the states. Your best bet is to look in Europe.

Sgt001_zps8af1a426.jpg

I did a whole thread about this book a while ago. I bought mine from a guy in Belgium who had no idea what it was worth or how rare it is. I bought it for virtually nothing. I understand it is worth between $500-1000. I don't think you will find one in the states. Your best bet is to look in Europe.

Sgt001_zps8af1a426.jpg

Yeah I saw your post about this mag, and so did the seller that I bought my copy from....so I did not get this mag cheap based on your opinion on what you believed the price should be. :tonofbricks: Like I said I have never seen a copy sell....or one be offered for sale.

Unfortunately, it appears that the book on Ebay did not even sniff a minimum bid at $399.00. And the copy for sale on Ebay looks gorgeous. The seller has it listed as FN/VF but it looks like a NM-. Definitely an Unread, very sharp copy.

Remember folks, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Good luck.