• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do some keyword searches work and others don't?

33 posts in this topic

I'm cursed with a small wonder :cry:

They say it's not the size of the boat, but the motion in the ocean.

...nah. They don't really say that. It is the size of the boat. :gossip:

:lol:

And a collective sigh from 1,000 board members!

And how big a sail it has....

Are you referring to the frank or the beans (shrug)

Both responses are probably gross:lol:

And how big a sail it has....

Are you referring to the frank or the beans (shrug)

Both responses are probably gross:lol:

Ahhhhhhh.....neither.......

Why is it when I search for tales or batman the search works fine but when I search for 39,#39, Jim or x-men I get no results even though I know the words were used recently?

Try to learn Boolean search operators.

First remember that it helps to put search terms in quotes. Batman and robin is different from "batman and robin." In the former case it will search for instances of "batman," "and" and "robin." In the latter case it will search only for the complete phrase "batman and robin."

Second remember that Boolean terms are based on AND / OR / NOT.

If you want to search only for two terms together, you must use a plus symbol. Example: "batman" +"robin". Or you could type batman +robin.

If you want to search for only Batman but never Robin, use the minus symbol: "batman" -"robin". Or batman -robin.

If you want to search for Batman or Robin, just search for batman robin. Though each search function operates differently, and some will automatically add Boolean logic even if you don't want it. That is, some searches will assume when you type batman robin, you want only batman AND robin, and not batman OR robin.

Go to Google and look up "boolean search" and you can get more information. By the way, the term Boolean is based on a form of logic and algebra.

Thanks to all for their help and especially this detailed explaination. It's funny I was looking all over the search page for help except dead center where it says advanced search tips. doh! Now I can work on being a search master. I want to find a quick way to search for all #1 issue's somehow.

In all honesty though, that is pretty interesting and other than the quotes the rest is news to me.

On the search page it is all under advanced search tips link.

The search function really isn't that tough.

No, it isn't.

All it takes to learn is a five minute reading of how to use the search function.

That is why love when members make a snarky comment about using the search feature, when you need the rosetta stone, a six pack of Schlitz, two car batteries, and a copy of War Games, to figure out how to use it.

There are about sixteen members on these boards who are proficient with the search feature, about the same number of "Small Wonder" fan club members (thumbs u

I sugest everyone PM Roy if you are looking for something specific. I'm sure he won't mind. :insane:

I have my inbox forwarded to Sal.

(thumbs u