• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 19th to 21st

19th to 21st  

228 members have voted

1. 1. 19th to 21st

61 posts in this topic

DD #1

Sgt Fury #1

ST #110

And yes, I am a self-professed Marvel zombie too.

So Goblin is more important to comics history than Dr. Strange, Daredevil and Sgt Fury?

Yes, he is.

Ok, thanks for clarifying

:insane:

DD #1

Sgt Fury #1

ST #110

And yes, I am a self-professed Marvel zombie too.

So Goblin is more important to comics history than Dr. Strange, Daredevil and Sgt Fury?

Yes, he is.

Ok, thanks for clarifying

I'll admit that as a huge Spidey fan I may have been biased to keep the goblin in (and you could add the weak argument that it is also the first meeting of Spidey and the Hulk), but I think that you could argue that the Green Goblin has had a bigger impact on the Marvel universe (particularly if you include the modern stuff) than any of the characters that I voted to leave. I think he is the second best Marvel villain after Dr. Doom (though the Red Skull is up there too), and he is more important to the Marvel Universe than either Dr. Strange or Sgt. Fury (though, again, Fury has become more important lately and has a higher profile because of the movies). The DD #1 vote was tougher than the first two, for me, but I have long thought that he is the weakest SA character in the Marvel stable (aside from maybe Dr. Strange). And to clarify, I mean weakest as in least interesting. DD's "golden years" came much later with Miller.

I don't understand why ASM 1 is getting a lot of votes this early on in the voting.

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe. Just because it was a 2nd appearance don't underestimate the impact this book had on comics.

I don't understand why ASM 1 is getting a lot of votes this early on in the voting.

Spider-Man was the most important character of Marvel and if he doesn't get his own title he would be just another prehero sidenote. FF was not a popular title until the crossover in ASM1. Without ASM1 Marvel would have lasted about as long as the Valiant Universe. Just because it was a 2nd appearance don't underestimate the impact this book had on comics.

ASM #1 does seem to get disrespected around here quite a bit. I don't venture into the Golden Age Forum that often, but I wonder if Superman #1 is dismissed in the same way. Spider-Man is arguably the most popular comic book character of all-time. It's hard to imagine what the comic book landscape would be like today if ASM #1 had never been published.

ASM #1 does seem to get disrespected around here quite a bit. I don't venture into the Golden Age Forum that often, but I wonder if Superman #1 is dismissed in the same way. Spider-Man is arguably the most popular comic book character of all-time. It's hard to imagine what the comic book landscape would be like today if ASM #1 had never been published.

There is indeed similar talk about Superman #1. Especially because, as I understand it, Supes #1 is mostly reprints from Action.

And I don't see how one could argue that Spider-Man is the most popular comics character of all time. It's Superman, and he's far beyond the rest, even Batman, although Batman's pretty freakin' huge. If you're not a comic person at all and you get a superhero tee-shirt, it's Superman. Getting a comic book tattoo? Superman's logo. He's been #1 since before Spider-Man existed. he's had tv shows, movies for decades, radio shows, serials, merchandising of any sort imaginable in every country on the planet it seems, and every kind of media you can think of. When a little kid is pretending to be a superhero, he puts a cape on and pretends to fly. When Superman's comics aren't selling very well at all, he's still #1. He's up there with Mickey Mouse, beyond Bugs Bunny and Sherlock Holmes. I'd say he's as important a character as Don Quixote or Hamlet in the Western world (is that going overboard?). Spider-Man might be cooler, he might have a more interesting personality or whatever, he might be drawn by cooler artists, but Superman is still untoppable. He's reached a point where the comics could cease to exist and he'd still be on top.

There is indeed similar talk about Superman #1. Especially because, as I understand it, Supes #1 is mostly reprints from Action.

And I don't see how one could argue that Spider-Man is the most popular comics character of all time. It's Superman, and he's far beyond the rest, even Batman, although Batman's pretty freakin' huge. If you're not a comic person at all and you get a superhero tee-shirt, it's Superman. Getting a comic book tattoo? Superman's logo. He's been #1 since before Spider-Man existed. he's had tv shows, movies for decades, radio shows, serials, merchandising of any sort imaginable in every country on the planet it seems, and every kind of media you can think of. When a little kid is pretending to be a superhero, he puts a cape on and pretends to fly. When Superman's comics aren't selling very well at all, he's still #1. He's up there with Mickey Mouse, beyond Bugs Bunny and Sherlock Holmes. I'd say he's as important a character as Don Quixote or Hamlet in the Western world (is that going overboard?). Spider-Man might be cooler, he might have a more interesting personality or whatever, he might be drawn by cooler artists, but Superman is still untoppable. He's reached a point where the comics could cease to exist and he'd still be on top.

Comparing Supes to Shakespeare's greatest creation....?

hm

Maybe a bit overboard.

But I understand the sentiment.

After all, when Supes "died", DC sold over 4,000,000 copies (and, in a concession to CKB a long time in coming, probably could have easily sold double that amount), bringing in people who didn't even know comics were still being published. It was a media sensation.

ASM #1 is a great book....but it's not in the same league as FF #1, or, dare I say it, Hulk #1, or even X-Men #1, all of which introduced foundational Marvel U characters.

Had Spidey first appeared in ASM #1, it would easily be the most important book of the entire Silver Age, with FF #1 following. As it is, it's Fantasy #15. Not a problem, just recognizing that the SECOND appearance of a character, even the acknowledged most important character of the SA, has never, ever been as important as the first.

I think at this stage in the poll, it`s just a case of deciding whether a 2nd appearance of Spider-Man, or 1st Marvel cross-over, or 1st Chameleon, or 1st JJJ, is more important than the 1st appearance of other major characters.

Yeah he got his own title which is now Marvel`s flagship title, but it was hardly a groundbreaking concept by the time ASM 1 came out. Would it really have made that much difference to Spidey`s popularity if Marvel had just continued Amazing Fantasy, ala JIM, rather than giving Spidey his own title?

I don`t think anyone`s disputing the importance of Spidey in the Marvel universe, but he will get his due when AF 15 is inevitably voted as the #1 book. Therefore, I think some people are voting against ASM 1 as being duplicative.

Indeed, Superman was the most popular character of all time, but somewhere along the way, say the 1980's, he was replaced by Spider-man. The endless Spidey cartoons, merchandise, and movies have far eclipsed those of Superman during the past 20-25 years. Kids (mine, my nephews, my friends kids) do not pretend tie a towel around their necks pretending to be Superman. Instead, they pretend they have web-shooters and cling to walls. For Halloween, not a single Superman came trick or treating, but we saw lots of Spidey, Spider-girl and Wolverine. When I tuck the kids to sleep, they chose to be in Spidey PJs, not Superman. Saturday mornings - in front of the TV watching Spidey and the Avengers. So I say to you, Superman who? (shrug)

Late to this party (should get out more) but:

Sgt Fury #1

Legend has it the result of a bet that Stan had regarding the "secret formula" for successful comics.

DareDevil #1

A mating of Batman and SpiderMan.. Didn't hit its straps until Miller came along.

Amazing Spider-Man #14.

I don't know why the Green Goblin is so popular as a villain. Spidey's got lots of better ones. Yeah, got the BFF (for a while) thing going with Harry, but still . . .