• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess What I Bought for $1.96 Today?

127 posts in this topic

Not to get into a contest but that argument is ridiculous. Are people in suits the qualifiers for what is generally acceptable?

In an OFFICE ENVIRONMENT (which is what we're talking about Blindy) it certainly is. doh!

Or do you think people wear ratty T- in a corporate workplace?

Ok you win, in an OFFICE ENVIROMENT collecting video games is more acceptable.

But just for clarification, in a bodega, in College Point, on a Tuesday, at dusk, in March, while raining comics are way cooler (thumbs u

New comic day is Wednesday, not Tuesday (tsk)

Wasn't implying that, but it does add more depth. Thank you

Not to get into a contest but that argument is ridiculous. Are people in suits the qualifiers for what is generally acceptable?

In an OFFICE ENVIRONMENT (which is what we're talking about Blindy) it certainly is. doh!

I work in a corporate setting and if I ever wore a suit (or even a tie) I would be tempted to beat myself up.

I work in a corporate setting and if I ever wore a suit (or even a tie) I would be tempted to beat myself up.

Let me buy you a suit. :wishluck:

I will send you my shipping address and then we can see if it works

[You said no one would buy an Atari game for 10K, when someone had already spent more than 5 times that on one already.

No, it was in the context of the FUTURE, as in no 12-year today is going to grow up and want to buy an old Atari game for $10K.

Comics actually have a very serious advantage over games, as the Superman and Batman of the 1930's was the same Superman and Batman of the 70's/80's/90's. That continuity (and the fact that comics has remained physically the same) really helped drive newer readers to the older material.

But I see none of that in games, which is why I would never pour any serious money into the vintage material. Games look more like the Modern market to me, buying hot material low and selling it high - holding looks very dangerous over the longer term.

By the way 2 Atari 2600 games have 1st appearances of very major characters.

Donkey Kong (1st appearance of Donkey Kong, 1st appearance of Mario)

Mario Bros. (1st appearance of Luigi)

There are other 1st appearances as well.

Empire Strikes Back (1st appearance of a Star Wars game)

Spider-man (1st appearance of the character Spider-man in a video game)

Super-man (1st appearance of the character Super-man in a video game)

There are also some firsts on this system as well.

Space Invaders (1st killer app game)

Pitfall (1st platform game)

Adventure (1st easter egg game when a player could make the programmers name appear, also first adventure game)

Also Joe, I would encourage you to PLAY these Atari 2600 games before writing the system off.

Pitfall II, H.E.R.O., Megamania, Yars' Revenge, Montezuma's Revenge, Galaxian, Ms. Pac-man, Frogger, Jr. Pac-man, Turmoil.

If you don't like those games, than hey whatever it is not your cup of tea. One final note on the Atari 2600. The Atari 2600 is an amazing system to collect for yesterday, today, and tomorrow. This of course has nothing to do with what the current price the market is at. The games could lose 95 percent of their value, and it is still an amazing system to collect for, and they could jump in price by 20 times, and it would be an amazing system to collect for. There is a ton of history a ton of fun, and a collecting adventure that will literally take you more than a lifetime to accomplish. No one has every single piece to the Atari 2600 puzzle, and no one ever will. Heck no one even has every single Atari 2600 game made.

I actually find parts of both of Vince's arguments compelling:

As games went from the Atari/Intellivision, to Colecovision, to the NES, the age range of the standard gamer expanded from early adolescence outward. On into the SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2 eras, this range expanded further. Stats of household percentage with video game systems will bear this out. I have no doubt that he is correct in saying that in the future, a huge number of people will be nostalgic for their PS1/PS2 games. I wouldn't be so quick to agree with his dismissal of the earlier games though - it's the nature of the collector to seek out related collectibles.

Are video games more 'acceptable' than comic books? I don't know that 'acceptable' is the right term, but in terms of awareness and interest levels, video games are far ahead of comic books.

By the way 2 Atari 2600 games have 1st appearances of very major characters.

has every single Atari 2600 game made.

Are first appearances important in the game collecting community? Just asking - I'm not a game collector.

[You said no one would buy an Atari game for 10K, when someone had already spent more than 5 times that on one already.

No, it was in the context of the FUTURE, as in no 12-year today is going to grow up and want to buy an old Atari game for $10K.

Comics actually have a very serious advantage over games, as the Superman and Batman of the 1930's was the same Superman and Batman of the 70's/80's/90's. That continuity (and the fact that comics has remained physically the same) really helped drive newer readers to the older material.

But I see none of that in games, which is why I would never pour any serious money into the vintage material. Games look more like the Modern market to me, buying hot material low and selling it high - holding looks very dangerous over the longer term.

I can see Atari games holding up well given the historical importance of that system. Much like die hard Marvel zombies will also buy GA titles of no relation. In that respect serious video game collectors of the future might treasure the early keys found on Atari or such similar systems in the same respect that younger collectors value the golden age keys featuring characters of little current importance.

I think NES to 32 bit wares will continue to grow in price. However, I think there's a strict cap to a lot of those prices because the most important games in it's history aren't all that hard to find. In comics, Action #1 or Tec#27 are nearly impossible to locate in any grade and if you do they'll cost you. Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros. or Pac-Man in every possible format and condition are readily available.

Current systems and the last couple of console generations are finding and owning there games via virtual libraries or emulation. Also, (and I believe this will be difficult to explain) earlier systems provided much more interaction with the physical aspects of the games/cartridges themselves. For example, any cartridge based system had games that would frequently stop working correctly(see blowing in a NES game). This makes for actual memories of more than just playing the games.

I believe that will eat into the nostalgic attachment of actually owning the physical versions of later gen material. If you just remember the game itself, I feel that there is and will continue to be little incentive to collect physical copies when you can easily download them.

Also Joe, I would encourage you to PLAY these Atari 2600 games before writing the system off.

Oh I have, and I am a big fan of retro gaming (didn't you see my Intellivision Lives scan?) and own virtually all the console compilation packs - Capcom, Data East, Atari, Intellivision, SNK/Neo Geo, etc.. I just don't see any reason to own the physical games.

Other than Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, which certainly deserve attention, I view the PS1 as ushering in the true Golden Age of console gaming, as at that point both the graphical capabilities and storage options allowed developers to do far more than just basic platform/arcade games.

Then the PS2 and Xbox took it a step further, and this probably remains the high point for home gaming, as it allowed an incredible number of genres to flourish, some of which have almost disappeared in the current "shooters" generation.

Ok you win, in an OFFICE ENVIROMENT collecting video games is more acceptable.

But just for clarification, in a bodega, in College Point, on a Tuesday, at dusk, in March, while raining comics are way cooler (thumbs u

New comic day is Wednesday, not Tuesday (tsk)

Wasn't implying that, but it does add more depth. Thank you

The bodegas down here are always hopping on March Wednesdays at dusk. New comic day. Just figured it was the same in College Point.

There are other 1st appearances as well.

Empire Strikes Back (1st appearance of a Star Wars game)

Spider-man (1st appearance of the character Spider-man in a video game)

Super-man (1st appearance of the character Super-man in a video game)

There are also some firsts on this system as well.

Space Invaders (1st killer app game)

Pitfall (1st platform game)

Adventure (1st easter egg game when a player could make the programmers name appear, also first adventure game)

When dealing with true first appearances I think it's important to consider coin ops too. I'm not disagreeing with you entirely but it is an important factor.

I I wouldn't be so quick to agree with his dismissal of the earlier games though - it's the nature of the collector to seek out related collectibles.

Agreed, and stuff like the early Mario/Star Wars games mentioned will always have appeal, and that statement was more for the other 99.9999% of Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/Odyssey/etc. games out there.

When dealing with true first appearances I think it's important to consider coin ops too. I'm not disagreeing with you entirely but it is an important factor.

I was going to mention that, but didn't want to start another fight. (shrug)

I I wouldn't be so quick to agree with his dismissal of the earlier games though - it's the nature of the collector to seek out related collectibles.

Agreed, and stuff like the early Mario/Star Wars games mentioned will always have appeal, and that statement was more for the other 99.9999% of Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/Odyssey/etc. games out there.

hm

Tough to say.

Don't dismiss the collector mentality, where buyers may only care that the game is a collectible. The herd mentality says 'if that guy wants it, and so does that other guy, then I guess I do too'

Oh I have, and I am a big fan of retro gaming (didn't you see my Intellivision Lives scan?) and own virtually all the console compilation packs - Capcom, Data East, Atari, Intellivision, SNK/Neo Geo, etc.. I just don't see any reason to own the physical games.

Other than Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, which certainly deserve attention, I view the PS1 as ushering in the true Golden Age of console gaming, as at that point both the graphical capabilities and storage options allowed developers to do far more than just basic platform/arcade games.

Then the PS2 and Xbox took it a step further, and this probably remains the high point for home gaming, as it allowed an incredible number of genres to flourish, some of which have almost disappeared in the current "shooters" generation.

Sorry, I can't imagine the PS1 ever being more collectible than the NES. Maybe it will be one day more collectible then the SNES, but that is where it will stop. I am not even an NES collector, and I can vouch that this system will be the head honcho for systems to collect for, for some time. To believe that the PS2, and Xbox will be the most collectible systems is kind of nutty. Who knows maybe your right.

By the way, you do know there is a company that intentionally buys the rights to PS2 Xbox titles, and reprints the label perfectly without any references to it being a 2nd printing? They do that with any rare game that goes over the $100 range.

Here is the company Game Quest Direct

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/17/game-quest-direct-and-the-secret-of-rare-game-reprints/

So basically any game that actually gets valuable Game Quest reprints. So yeah the stuff you collect for is the stuff Game Quest loves to reprint over, and over without any mention of it being a reprint.

Sorry, I can't imagine the PS1 ever being more collectible than the NES. Maybe it will be one day more collectible then the SNES, but that is where it will stop. I am not even an NES collector, and I can vouch that this system will be the head honcho for systems to collect for, for some time. To believe that the PS2, and Xbox will be the most collectible systems is kind of nutty. Who knows maybe your right.

By the way, you do know there is a company that intentionally buys the rights to PS2 Xbox titles, and reprints the label perfectly without any references to it being a 2nd printing? They do that with any rare game that goes over the $100 range.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/17/game-quest-direct-and-the-secret-of-rare-game-reprints/

So basically any game that actually gets valuable Game Quest reprints. So yeah the stuff you collect for is the stuff Game Quest loves to reprint over, and over without any mention of it being a reprint.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Unlike comic books I don't feel that there is anything stopping a company like this from making EXACT duplicates of sought after games. I don't think they could ever make these for NES, Atari, Neo Geo or other cartridge based games though.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Unlike comic books I don't feel that there is anything stopping a company like this from making EXACT duplicates of sought after games. I don't think they could ever make these for NES, Atari, Neo Geo or other cartridge based games though.

Yeah, it seems they stop right at the PS1 era. I have never seen them print anything before. The cartridge making machines have long been either recycled or converted into something else.