• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. presidents on funny book covers...

57 posts in this topic

It's only fitting in the pages of a comic book that someone would be resurrected. The "death," say, of someone in an Overstreet listing means the fat lady hasn't sung yet. When I was a kid, I was hoping for a Gwen Stacy resurrection somehow, but got the clone saga instead. :tonofbricks: Long live Lincoln, though.

91283433708.50.GIF

Here's an eerie one.

For all the adoration Lincoln generally gets, there's a provocative book by a guy named Lerone Bennett entitled "Forced into Glory" which argues that Lincoln shouldn't be deified as he has been. The author's going against the grain, big-time, but hearing of how Bennett worked nights on his tome for years and years was enough for me to grant him some measure of respect.

30175276240.2.GIF

JFK conspiracy theories. I'm no historian but have heard that (before and) since the Warren Commission officially concluded that Oswald was the lone gunman, conspiracy theories have run rampant. Maybe conspiracy theories got their start after JFK. :shrug: TV was in its infancy and the mass consciousness via a ground-breaking medium can't be overlooked.

But Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor who basically threw Charles Manson into prison for life, wrote a book not too terribly long ago that set out to refute EVERY conspiracy theory on the JFK assassination. :lol: (he also wrote another book more recently where I think he argues that Bush 43 could be charged and convicted of war crimes) I saw Bugliosi interviewed about his JFK conspiracy book (which, by the way, has endnotes numbering in the hundreds of pages, I think :eek:). My understanding is that he thinks Oswald was the lone gunman and he goes on the offensive in conspiracy theory land. I've never read War and Peace. I don't think I'll ever read Bugliosi's book, but the guy deserves some kinda medal.

I know he talks of how many just can't accept that it was just one guy. We want to think there's something larger. Bugliosi didn't even use a computer to do his research. I guess it was all printed matter in his hands and interviews. He wrote his manuscript out on legal pads and had a secretary transcribe it. Bugliosi couldn't believe he couldn't get a book off amazon.com if he didn't have an account via a computer. He had a credit card and a phone and wanted to buy, but couldn't. His children poke fun at his Luddite ways. Bugliosi rules. :headbang:

73328823244.2.GIF

billandtedsexcellent1.jpg

Kind of cheesy, but there is honest Abe in the middle.......................

Hey, did you delete the pic? :sumo:

Cheesy or not, this is a U.S. president funny book cover thread. Resurrect that pic! :preach:

Good one.

Here's an older Presidents thread but most of the image links are gone ...

Presidents

I sensed this had probably been done before, but didn't know for sure (nor did I do a search :blush:). An ecclesiastical nothin' new under the sun, no doubt.

I'm actually making a list for myself and might try to start collecting these...so thanks, Scrooge. :banana:

:thumbsup: I thought you might try that and that's why I pointed to that thread if it might help at all.

billandtedsexcellent1.jpg

Kind of cheesy, but there is honest Abe in the middle.......................

Hey, did you delete the pic? :sumo:

Cheesy or not, this is a U.S. president funny book cover thread. Resurrect that pic! :preach:

It must have been i glitch , no deleting has been done.

Hope you can see it.........

:thumbsup: I can. Maybe it was a glitch on my end.

Do the four issues of Prez count? Prez Rickard was the first teen-age president after all. (:

Didn't see this one listed yet

6026231_1.jpg

Score! The Hulk ish had Mount Rushmore, so the more the merrier. :thumbsup:

And we'd be remiss if we excluded Prez. One of those issues reminds me of bhhooks22, a previously active poster that just kinda looked like prez in some of those Ken-ish photos he posted of himself. :insane:

Okay, this one, as far as I can tell, should've been a President Carter one. But who we thought was Carter ended up being Impossible Man. I haven't read it, so maybe someone in the know can chime in. :wishluck:

Carter hailed from the state I've lived in for most of the last 16 years (though I'm a cracker from Florida, the Sunshine State, through and through). That a peanut farmer from Georgia who taught Sunday school every Sunday could make it into the Oval Office was nothing short of astounding. He actually PUBLICLY spoke of that scripture passage that talks of how a man is guilty of the sin when he lusts for a woman in his heart but isn't actually with the woman. He acknowledged he was guilty of that. That pretty much doomed his presidency. Humility can't rule a nation, can it? I don't mean it as a knock, but a generation later we had the denotative meaning of the word "is" and the DNA slam dunk of the blue dress. The times change very quickly, it seems. Carter might get emasculated by some of his critics, but the guy had/has some strengths that are undeniable.

52075323508.27.GIF

Spidey Super Stories?

The only issue I bought until very recently was a #17 which celebrated the Bicentennial of America. I was about 9 at the time so I didn't know the Bicentennial from Adam. Very recently I still didn't know Adam, but bought a Don Rosa copy of a Spidey Super Stories from mysterio. Who cares, cloudofwit, what's your point? I'm glad you ask. :smirk: See, joe_collector helped a brotha out yesterday when he posted this pic in the Bronze thread I started.

I guess that's President Carter in the car. Kingpin looks pizzed. If it is Carter, then he's not looking too presidential. It's the Electric Company, the 1970s, and the malaise had apparently hit the country like mayo. Carter used that word "malaise" in one of his speeches during his presidency. And an author very recently picked up, on and wrote, an entire book about Carter's presidency based on that one speech. The author got something very wrong about Bob Dylan (it was, admittedly, very incidental). So wrong that I had a hard time listening to the guy finish his speech. But one thing that is right on is that Carter actually quoted a Dylan line during his run for the presidency: "He not being busy born is busy dying." Though that line from "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" is epic, I'd just as soon listen to the liltiing pathos of "Mr. Tambourine Man." :cloud9:

!B7NuHgwEWk~$(KGrHqN,!hUEyrvBoq1LBMzh6g,t0!~~-1_3.JPG

88ec0d05a5e947312ec5f816035651cd_xl.jpg

If a peanut farmer from the South making the U.S. president was a bit mind-bending, then a Hollywood actor from the Golden State was equally or more so.

It's the 100-year anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth. I've heard and seen a lot about this anniversary.

When I was in high school, in '81-85, I just knew that a Reagan mask was pretty essential if you wanted to put on a mask. :shrug: Of course, the Nixon mask was there first. As far as political persuasions, I always remember what the writer Stanley Crouch once said about politics: "I'm not so concerned with whether the cow comes from the right or left side of the pasture; I'm just concerned with whether or not the milk is sour."