• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where would you rate Micheline/McFarlane ASM Run...

85 posts in this topic

C'mon. Next you'll try to tell us you build good bridges in Minnesota. lol

Ouch, man. You Canadians are always making fun of our infrastructure. And we Americans have no ground to stand on. It sucks! ;)

Your infrastructure is better than ours. :gossip:

I think your assessment of after 102 is a little unfair. You name the lower points but the high points are pretty good. The truth is, since the Romita era, it's been a slow steady decline in quality with a few upticks but a vastly downward trend. Just because the Micheline/McFarlane era is a slight uptick in a sea of badness doesn't make it better than the death of Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin, the Jackal storyline, and who could forget the ghost of Hammerhead! :baiting:

For me, I thought it was more a plateau from 100 to about 380, with high points and low points. At about Maximum Carnage/Clone Saga, things just fell off a cliff. :(

Ouch, man. You Canadians are always making fun of our infrastructure. And we Americans have no ground to stand on. It sucks! ;)

I used to drive across that bridge everyday and drove across it the morning of the day it failed. Sadly, the bridge they replaced it with is particularly lame, but it's safe... at least I think it is.

I think your assessment of after 102 is a little unfair. You name the lower points but the high points are pretty good. The truth is, since the Romita era, it's been a slow steady decline in quality with a few upticks but a vastly downward trend. Just because the Micheline/McFarlane era is a slight uptick in a sea of badness doesn't make it better than the death of Gwen Stacy/Green Goblin, the Jackal storyline, and who could forget the ghost of Hammerhead! :baiting:

Whoa... I think if ANYONE ever tried knocking the ASM 121/122 set, then they're clearly not a long-term ASM fan. I mean, sorry, can't do it. They're foundational, bedrock books in the title. And FWIW, I specifically tagged out 129--not just for Punisher but the Jackal was a nice addition to the series (original clone stories were cool for me... too bad they spawned that craptastical mess later on...)

But, it take nothing away from them to recognize others. ;)

Erik Larsen is a dink who can't keep his stupid politics out of his art.

That makes him LAME.

It's fair to think that he's lame but that doesn't make him a bad artist.

Lebron James is beyond 'dink' level but he's an amazing basketball player.

You know what I'm saying here, and I can tell that you really do not like Larsen. :)

Larsen as a person, or Larsen as an artist?

I'm talking about his artistic merits, not who he is as a person. I feel the two can be separated.

Do you like his work? You can think that he's a dink AND a bad artist. :)

That is correct. I CAN think he's a dink and a bad artist. I can also think he's a dink and a GOOD artist.

I happen to think he's a dink and a functional artist, who has ruined his work by his nonsense partisanship.

Artists playing politics is old, old news, and almost every time it happens, it lessens their appeal greatly.

Politics and art...like politics and the CGC board...don't mix.

Outside of the fact that I still enjoy his artwork I have to agree with everything you said there. It makes me remember how much I used to enjoy Brian Micheal Bendis.

I used to drive across that bridge everyday and drove across it the morning of the day it failed. Sadly, the bridge they replaced it with is particularly lame, but it's safe... at least I think it is.

Whoa... I think if ANYONE ever tried knocking the ASM 121/122 set, then they're clearly not a long-term ASM fan. I mean, sorry, can't do it. They're foundational, bedrock books in the title. And FWIW, I specifically tagged out 129--not just for Punisher but the Jackal was a nice addition to the series (original clone stories were cool for me... too bad they spawned that craptastical mess later on...)

:headbang:

I couldn't agree more. I also want to reemphasize how cool of a villain the jackal was.

Yeah I think he's out of his tree with that statement...

There was a whole nest of awesomeness after Romita. The ASM title was in waves of so-so

books and homeruns until the McFarlane run. It seemed after that run around the ASM 320's

that they really didn't take this book seriously any more. The 90's were so rough on this title

I have no idea how it survived.

But to get back to the topic at hand the McFarlane run wasn't bad. I wasn't a fan of his work

back then, But it grew on me. Heck I even grew to miss it because after his run the was a

long dry spell (again the 90's) that were tough to wade through. I would take Todd any day

over the Bagwell slop!

The moderns are very fickle; they have a good read every now and then and then they

do something so F'n inane it just makes you want to flush the whole run of 330's–present down

the crapper! I have bought all moderns after the Kraven storyline (which was the last one

to get stupid) but I haven't sat down to even read them.