• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restorative Date Stamp

77 posts in this topic

<--- Wins. acclaim.gif
Your predecessor was much more interesting!

P.S. To POV - Blow me! grin.gif

Clark had a predessor?

PS - close your eyes and dream. ::eeeyyyeeewwwwwww::

:In my soup nazi voice: - "No more bronze DC horror for you" makepoint.gif

Jeeze - you think I had asked for some extra bread or something!

<--- Wins. acclaim.gif

I assure you, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Screw you shill. Even you aren't that stoopid! foreheadslap.gif

Not "shill", dingleberry, "secret identity." There is a difference. 893naughty-thumb.gif

How can it be secret when any competant fool knows who you are! popcorn.gif

One parting shot, If you straighten the fold ,you have in effect returned it to its previous unfolded state,(only now with a crease, a lesser defect) Thats gotta be restoration, Right??? confused-smiley-013.gif

STOP RUINING THIS THREAD!!!

Shut yer piehole

<--- Wins. acclaim.gif

Not "shill", dingleberry, "secret identity." There is a difference. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You would THINK that would be the case, wouldn't you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

<--- Wins. acclaim.gif

You would THINK that would be the case, wouldn't you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How can it be secret when any competant fool knows who you are!

::psst:: - It is "competent", not "competant".

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greggy's spelling corrected by POV????????? The shame, the shame.

sleeping.gif

How can it be secret when any competant fool knows who you are!

::psst:: - It is "competent", not "competant".

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greggy's spelling corrected by POV????????? The shame, the shame.

sleeping.gif

Yeah, me too. Nite Greggy! hi.gif

One parting shot, If you straighten the fold ,you have in effect returned it to its previous unfolded state,(only now with a crease, a lesser defect) Thats gotta be restoration, Right??? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's kind of a redundant point, isn't it? EVERY crease involves the paper having been folded into a non-original position...so if the paper gets folded back...you know without a doubt that it has been "restored" back to its original condition. The fact that there used to be a fold isn't hidden--it's explicitly obvious because the crease is present. Pressing is undetectable unless you do stereoscopic evaluation--it's very explicitly hidden.

Turning back a fold is a type of restoration, but it's about as worthwhile to note as wiping off a booger you sneezed onto a comic.

Maybe I missed something....but where did you get this from?

Which part? If you mean stereoscopic evalution, it's a hypothesis on the only way I can think of to detect heat pressing that doesn't rely on extreme, prolonged pressure. It may in fact be that detecting heat pressing is indeed impossible. I've had a restorer tell me that it is, but I find it difficult to believe that folding paper over and then back doesn't leave SOME detectable trace under magnification.

However, even if there is a detectable trace, I really doubt there's a way to determine how the hidden damage got there. Most of our scenarios involved a collector pressing a comic out, but another possible example is a book getting bent at the printing press, then getting smashed into a bundle, tied down, stacked up on a pallet, and shipped out. The pressure of the binding could lead to a pressing effect similar to the one an intentionally pressed comic does. This is why I maintain that inability to prove intent is the primary reason pressing shouldn't be a stigma. Physical pressure can be exerted on a comic in far too many natural ways to automatically treat smoothed-out damage as an exception to normal comic use.

Very poorly-done amateur pressing under hundreds of pounds of extreme pressure that leaves readily-visible traces is something else entirely.

So what do you think about Marnin's comments about detecting pressing

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=428593&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Quote:

For example, I have seen so many books with white spine stresses or corner creases that have been pressed, and the result is stress lines and creases that spread and become wider from being squeezed. Do you realize after a book is pressed, it actually grows in size by a few millimeters? Then you've got books that have been pressed multiple times and pretty soon CGC will have to design a slightly larger holder!! Even books which are perfect candidates for press, where the results are dramatic, still have a pressed look, which I can spot with one eye closed. The more I look at pressed books the less I like the unnatural appearance caused by the incredible pressure the book incurs during a press. In other words, the book DOES NOT look the same as the book once did when it hit the news stand as a NM 9.4 or NM+ 9.6. Even when pressed by a professional, the natural, puffy, virgin appearance of a non-pressed 9.4 or 9.6 is removed forever.

Your last statement stated:

I tend to agree, although I'm not at all certain yet. Which begs the question...why is Marnin saying he can detect pressing based upon the books he's getting back from Susan Cicconi? Is she using "amateur" pressing techniques?

And I stated:

I think he mentioned because of the "widening" of the creases. Also he mentioned where the two halfs of the book form a clam shell. Thats the "puffy, virgin appearance".

You can't have a fold without a crease, but you CAN have a crease without a fold.

So, is a bend a fold without a crease? And how do you detect if a bend has been pressed out?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan