• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Age?

121 posts in this topic

"What the are you talking about? I simply listed several well-known civil rights activists as a comparison to what you are trying to do with the Comics Code. Never once did I make the error you are, and mistake my "book reading" for actual real-life experience, and try to enforce my view of an era I have only read about or watched on TV."

There you go again. Do you think it helps you make your point when you use that profanity icon? Or do you do it because you're trying to intimidate me and this makes you feel like a tough guy?

Look, nobody is trying to enforce a point of view of an era on you. This is a discussion board and what we do here is discuss. Discussions entail the give and take of opposing and like views. If you've read all of the other posts in this thread (except for yours), you'd fully understand what a discussion is all about.

"What I'm really getting at is that book knowledge is no replacement for real-life experiences,especially when you're talking about something as biased and open to interpretation as the historical account. I've watched documentaries where fresh-faced academics offer opinions on world events that they have only read and researched about, and disagree vehemently with people who were actually there."

You just made a blanket statement. Sometimes book knowledge is certainly not a replacement for real life experience, but that's not always the case. If you were watching a documentary about Watergate, would you better trust the comments made by academics and journalists who've researched this subject for years, or would you place more faith in the words and recollection of the men who were at the heart of the conspiracy?

What if your descendents several generations from now wanted to study the state of comic books in the 1970's but could not find anyone alive who could talk to them about it? What then? Well, I think they would have to resort to books and news clippings and then do their best to understand the subject at hand. Some of the source material would be more reliable than others, but if they have enough of it, they'd eventually have sufficient info to allow them to understand the era better than you or me.

Yes, there can be different viewpoints of historical events. It's good that you are able to recognize that, but you also need to develop an ability to balance the differing viewpoints you come across in order to come up with a perspective based on your own personal thinking.

Single-mindedness can be noble if you are pursuing a worthwhile goal, but in the pursuit of knowledge you need to be open-minded and willing to consider the views of others.