• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Postage Surcharge INTO the US.

7 posts in this topic

A quick question to the UK/Europe members on here...

Are you guys being slugged a surcharge by your postal authorities for items being posted to the US?

Australia Post recently included a AU$9.00 extra charge, on top of the normal postal rates, for any package over 500grams to the US.

The charge is actually coming from US Customs to pay for the cost of checking each package coming into the country.

Just wondering if it's a world-wide phenomena!

It looks as if it's just us getting screwed AGAIN :cry: .

Here's a link to the Royal mail website that notes delays with mail going from the UK to the US.

As stated there, the Poms have other methods of getting parcels to the US - cargo planes and ships. There is no mention of surcharges, just delays.

Way over here, we do not have that many cargo planes full of mail and ships would take at least a month. My guess is that Homeland Security has to have all the mail over 500g vetted, either here, or on arrival.

Either way, we get to pay for the checking. Sucks, but the alternatives (DHL, Fedex etc) are way more expensive.

I hope a UK boardie can confirm or deny this.

From reading eBay forums, the surcharge was to cover the cost of US Customs checking incoming international mail for security reasons!

Are Australians now some sort of increased terrorist threat!

Has there been a marked increase in the importation of effing Vegemite!!

The last time I shipped slabs out I did notice a hike in the International Signed For rates, but I'm presuming that was just the pricing structure as no surcharges were mentioned. I know all of the women who work in the PO, and it was my cousin who actually served me on the last two occassions so she would have mentioned something.

It is a shame I can't ship a slab fully insured and tracked to the US for $24 anymore though.

From reading eBay forums, the surcharge was to cover the cost of US Customs checking incoming international mail for security reasons!

Are Australians now some sort of increased terrorist threat!

Has there been a marked increase in the importation of effing Vegemite!!

Mmmmmmm - vegemite. :cloud9: