• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver or Golden Age Gem Should I Build A War Chest For?

109 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone for contributing and giving me some ideas. Also exposing me to the Golden Age. I suddenly have a higher level of appreciate for these books. Have a great week!

1) AF 15 (This was in my top 3 before this thread)

2) Showcase 4 (Still want this as The Flash was what got me into comics as a kid)

3) B&B 28 (Would like to upgrade my 1.8)

4) These are all tied for fourth:

Hulk 1

TOS 39

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

Batman 11

Detective Comics 168, 225

Superman 14, 53, 76

Captain America 46

Blue Beetle 54

Great list (thumbs u

in fact this is my list. lol

Incredible. We'll have to keep each other in mind if there are any upgrades or down grades to be considered in the future!

Just sold my JIM #83 5.0. War chest complete! I'm going to do a post in WTB soon, but if anyone has any leads on books on my wish final list hit me up with a PM! I want to be very selective and get a long time keeper.

1) AF 15 and Hulk 1 (tie)

2) Showcase 4 (Still want this as The Flash was what got me into comics as a kid)

4) These are all tied:

TOS 39

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

Batman 11

Superman 14, 53, 76

Captain America 46

Blue Beetle 54

All right everyone. Any suggestions?

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

+1 - I don't get collectors like this. "Hey everyone please tell me what to buy" :screwy:

Here is my rationale. I love comics. I love a lot of different characters and books. Buying with your heart and not your head can lead to poor decisions. My OP was about getting a feel for what this community suggests at this moment in time. It provided some insightful information, helped me to discover some books I knew very little about and was fun. My goal is not to blindly purchase what the people here tell me to. It was simply to get as much information to make a good decision with my hard earned cash. Does that seem less :screwy: ?

I would say RMA is on point with the Tec 168. A VERY VERY difficult book to fing in grade, and throw your OSPG in the garbage can. Amazing book, and wanted by ANY serious Bat collector. There is just so much that book has to offer IMO.

I also like the Showcase 4. It to me is one of the best SA keys to own, and for me personally would rank with Hulk 1 and FF1. Any one of those 3 are just seriously cool books to own. But the Showcase 4 doesnt get the love it used to.

I dont know if you are looking for monetary value, or the fun factor. That is a big part as well.

I would say RMA is on point with the Tec 168. A VERY VERY difficult book to fing in grade, and throw your OSPG in the garbage can. Amazing book, and wanted by ANY serious Bat collector. There is just so much that book has to offer IMO.

I also like the Showcase 4. It to me is one of the best SA keys to own, and for me personally would rank with Hulk 1 and FF1. Any one of those 3 are just seriously cool books to own. But the Showcase 4 doesnt get the love it used to.

I dont know if you are looking for monetary value, or the fun factor. That is a big part as well.

Honestly any of these books would be a dream to own. I've got an FF1 and won't be parting with it any time soon. The Showcase 4 is something I'll always have my eye open for. Thanks for the thoughts!

Honestly any of these books would be a dream to own. I've got an FF1 and won't be parting with it any time soon. The Showcase 4 is something I'll always have my eye open for. Thanks for the thoughts!

Notice that the Hulk #1 is in every discussion? Certainly has alot of fun factor. homer-simpson-as-hulk-1.gif

By all means having direction towards what you want doesn't mean that particular book is currently available. Waiting until it comes to market could force you out of the market as well. Now that you have a list, you need to open your wallet and get one. This thread started over 3 weeks ago and there have been 3 major auctions and many books from the list were available. You will find that those titles won't be going down in price. AF15 since this thread started has just about past you by as 5.5 is a $13k+ book, a 6.5 Hulk 1 more closer to $10k than $5k. Super keys in mid grade are on everybody's hit list. Brace yourself for taking a lower grade than expected or over paying for the book of your dreams, but waiting isn't an option.

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

+1 - I don't get collectors like this. "Hey everyone please tell me what to buy" :screwy:

Here is my rationale. I love comics. I love a lot of different characters and books. Buying with your heart and not your head can lead to poor decisions. My OP was about getting a feel for what this community suggests at this moment in time. It provided some insightful information, helped me to discover some books I knew very little about and was fun. My goal is not to blindly purchase what the people here tell me to. It was simply to get as much information to make a good decision with my hard earned cash. Does that seem less :screwy: ?

I think that if you buy with your heart it can't be a poor decision. Financially it might be but who cares. Buy what you like.

I think that if you buy with your heart it can't be a poor decision. Financially it might be but who cares. Buy what you like.

Why can't you by something with your heart that makes financial sense?

You could get a nice copy of X-Men #1 for that kind of scratch!

You know, after rising really fast in 2010, X-Men #1 seems to have cooled off just a tad in the early months of 2011. Perhaps because the movie hype isn't that strong right now. That may make it a good time to get a mid-grade copy at a reasonable price. Over the very long term, I believe that Marvel/Disney will promote the franchise with movies, TV series and theme parks, so I believe that it will remain as one of the top keys in decades to come.

Oh, and I definitely agree with everyone who says to buy what you love!

Of course, if you're like me, you might actually like a lot of titles.

In business it's best to make decisions from the head and not from the heart.

Just sold my JIM #83 5.0. War chest complete! I'm going to do a post in WTB soon, but if anyone has any leads on books on my wish final list hit me up with a PM! I want to be very selective and get a long time keeper.

1) AF 15 and Hulk 1 (tie)

4) These are all tied:

TOS 39

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

Batman 11

Superman 14, 53, 76

Captain America 46

Blue Beetle 54

Why'd you sell the JIM #83? I would've held that book for a bit. Was it to finance purchase on one of the "want list" books above? I'd rather have that book over a Tec 225 or a low grade GA book.

If it's to finance the purchase of an AF#15, I'm all for that. What grade range are you looking for on the AF and Hulk books?

In business it's best to make decisions from the head and not from the heart.

+1