• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver or Golden Age Gem Should I Build A War Chest For?

109 posts in this topic

Oh brilliant boardies. I need your help. Would love to hear anyones thoughts on what books you'd recommend given the parameters below.

1) $4000-$5000 in price

2) Mid grade slabs (nothing lower than a CGC 4.5)

3) Off White Pages or better preferred.

4) I'd like to stay away from the movie hype inflated books (Thor, GL, Avengers, Spidey, etc.)

All right everyone. Any suggestions?

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

For SA: TOS 39...prices have slowly started coming back to earth and supply is on the rise, and you can probably get a real nice 7.0 in the mid $4k-$5k range.

For GA, this price point is really hard to find a decent key for. Depends on your definition of "key" I imagine. I recently purchased a Startling Comics # 49 (Classic Schomburg cover) in CGC 9.0 for $6k. Plenty of nice mid-grade copies of 1st appearances floating around out there in that price range though, especially if you are okay with 2nd tier characters (like a Black Canary). A 9.0 Sub-Mariner Comics # 1 with Slight Resto also sold for under $6k recently....so there are bargains to be had out there.

If you're building a war chest with your own hard-earned money, I would suggest buying what you like.

Great advice. If it was your war chest, what would you get?

Detective Comics #225.

For SA: TOS 39...prices have slowly started coming back to earth and supply is on the rise, and you can probably get a real nice 7.0 in the mid $4k-$5k range.

For GA, this price point is really hard to find a decent key for. Depends on your definition of "key" I imagine. I recently purchased a Startling Comics # 49 (Classic Schomburg cover) in CGC 9.0 for $6k. Plenty of nice mid-grade copies of 1st appearances floating around out there in that price range though, especially if you are okay with 2nd tier characters (like a Black Canary). A 9.0 Sub-Mariner Comics # 1 with Slight Resto also sold for under $6k recently....so there are bargains to be had out there.

Broad range here. Love your thought process.

The only book I would save up for over a long period of time is AF 15, but I wouldn't stop building at 4-5K.

The only book I would save up for over a long period of time is AF 15, but I wouldn't stop building at 4-5K.

What, a nice 3.5 isn't good enough for ya? :baiting:

What, a nice 3.5 isn't good enough for ya? :baiting:

If it was, I would have one. :(

Brave and the Bold 28

Wonder Woman 1

Detective 359

I don't know about Wonder Woman 1, but B&B 28 and Tec 359 are both good suggestions.

As for Tec 255 mentioned earlier, given that no one really cares about the Martian Manhunter right now, isn't that book grossly overvalued?