• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading of Whitman Reprints

2 posts in this topic

Dear CGC:

It was pointed out on another thread that CGC does not label Whitman reprints as being such.

For example, look at the scan of this eBay auction for an X-Men #118 Whitman Reprint (identifiable

by no month on the cover, diamond price box and blank UPC box).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2136242737

Why is this distinction not made on the label? I fear that unsuspecting buyers may be overpaying

for books with very little underlying value. It seems to me that this is a much more important item

to note than if a copy is a 30 or 35 Cent Price Variant, for example, which is readily identifiable from

looking at the cover.

Gene

Hi Gene,

In that other thread, Comicinvestor posted a scan of some Whitman Spidey's. If you were able to flip it over and were able to see the ASM 194 that has been mentioned on that thread, you'd see that the UPC code is present, but crossed out. That AMS 194 will also have the month in the indicia. A Conan 100 (same month as Spidey 194 7/79) has both characteristics (diamond w/no month & UPC crossed out) and it also has the date in the indicia. All of these things are inconsistent with what people think identifies a Whitman Reprint. There seems to be no constant with the UPC codes on the books contained inside. Only on Star Wars is there a definite Reprint.

Since there is no consistency with the Marvel Whitman packs and the UPC codes on the books contained inside & since Overstreet does not recognize these Marvel blank UPC codes as Reprints, neither does CGC. So, until Overstreet differentiates between the copies, we will only put "REPRINT" on those we can prove. Hope that helps.

On another note-- CGC is always looking to improve itself. If anyone has more information on these Whitman's please PM me. Thank you.