• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th

7th to 9th  

345 members have voted

1. 1. 7th to 9th

95 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure Hulk is the 4th most recognizable superhero in the word.

:gossip: Wolverine....

I think the mainstream public would recognize the Hulk more than Wolverine.

I think the mainstream public would recognize the Hulk more than Wolverine.

I don't agree with that at all. That may have been true 15-20 years ago, but with the massive exposure Wolverine has gotten in the last 11 years, I think it's a sure bet he's #4.

One thing that always surprises me is how well Hulk 1 does in these polls.

I understand that value-wise, it`s off the charts because it`s the toughest of the Marvel mega-keys to find in high grade. And, that Hulk was the 2nd Marvel superhero (if you don`t count TTA 27). Well, I don't count TTA 27 as a superhero book, so yeah, Hulk was Marvel's 2nd superhero

But still, he`s never been THAT popular a character, has he? If Hulk 1 existed in high grade in the same quantities as AF 15 (or god forbid ASM 1), for example, surely its value would be significantly lower. Yes, and we can also say the same for FF1, Showcase 22, etc. And, he was kind of a dud initially, getting cancelled after only 6 issues. Yes, he was a dud initially, took a brief hiatus to return in TTA 59 (sept 1964) and has been in publication continuously every since. Along the way, he managed to headline his own successful TV series in the 1970s, star in a well written, well illustrated magazine lasting 27 issues, had his own daily comic strip syndicated in North America and was directly responsible for the blood transfusion resulting in She-Hulk (Former FF & Avegers member). Not too shabby a career, I'd say ;)

In the Marvel heirarchy, I personally would rank Hulk 1 in 4th place, behind AF 15, FF 1 and X-Men 1.

I don't agree with that at all. That may have been true 15-20 years ago, but with the massive exposure Wolverine has gotten in the last 11 years, I think it's a sure bet he's #4.

I'll take that bet, my mother knows who the Hulk is, has no idea who Wolverine is, my 7-year old daughter knows who the Hulk is, again no idea who Wolverine is.

I'm pretty sure if I asked my class of 25 18-year olds, 90% would be able to recognize the Hulk from a picture, I'm pretty sure 50% wouldn't be able to tell me Wolverine's name (again from a picture)

When I was in Morocco a few years again, they had a few superhero T-shirts (among the thousands of Hello Kitty and Simpsons knock-offs), the Superman logo, a (McFarlane) Spider-man and a Hulk one.

It's even crept into various languages, even in French and Dutch people will say things like "Who does he think he is ? The Hulk ?" ... Never heard a reference to Wolverine like that before. In fact "Hulk" has taken over the role of the traditional "strongman" in idioms and the like, it used to be Samson or Hercules for decades, but it's been the Hulk ever since the TV series.

Worldwide the Hulk is extremely well know, people just don't know he is a comic book hero.

It's a bit tricky. If you say "Wolverine" and "Hulk" to 100 average Joes (and Janes from around the world, you're probably right that the first will be recognized by more people. (Though, as Chromium said before, I really doubt that'd be the case in Europe or Asia, but let's say it is)

But... if you actually show two pictures (from comic books) of both characters, the results might be substantially different.

Most people know Wolverine from the movies and are familiar with the Hugh Jackman visual. The character as depicted in Marvel comics (no matter which suit he wears), may not ring many bells.

Sure, the claws might help a bit, but I'm pretty certain that many people may not be able to make the connection.

(And with the claws retracted, forget about it! :cool: )

Could be, but The Hulk is certainly a huge property. Way before comic movies were the in thing, he supported a TV show of his own.

Don't know how long it ran, did it last longer than the Batman show? If only there were some way to find out...

I'll take that bet, my mother knows who the Hulk is, has no idea who Wolverine is, my 7-year old daughter knows who the Hulk is, again no idea who Wolverine is.

I'm pretty sure if I asked my class of 25 18-year olds, 90% would be able to recognize the Hulk from a picture, I'm pretty sure 50% wouldn't be able to tell me Wolverine's name (again from a picture)

When I was in Morocco a few years again, they had a few superhero T-shirts (among the thousands of Hello Kitty and Simpsons knock-offs), the Superman logo, a (McFarlane) Spider-man and a Hulk one.

It's even crept into various languages, even in French and Dutch people will say things like "Who does he think he is ? The Hulk ?" ... Never heard a reference to Wolverine like that before. In fact "Hulk" has taken over the role of the traditional "strongman" in idioms and the like, it used to be Samson or Hercules for decades, but it's been the Hulk ever since the TV series.

Worldwide the Hulk is extremely well know, people just don't know he is a comic book hero.

Not to mention a Brazilian soccer player is named "Hulk".

At my home poker game last week, I asked all there if they knew who Wolverine was.

Out of 14 people, only I and my wife knew. One other 25 year old woman asked if he was one of those X-men people.

The rest said they have never heard of him, when I explained who/what he is. :(

Makes me feel weird, in a weird sort of way.

At my home poker game last week, I asked all there if they knew who Wolverine was.

Out of 14 people, only I and my wife knew. One other 25 year old woman asked if he was one of those X-men people.

That's pretty surprising, I'd have thought a lot more would know. They must all have known who the X-Men were right?

You're on.

Now...how do we determine who's correct...? ;)

That's pretty surprising, I'd have thought a lot more would know. They must all have known who the X-Men were right?

I only asked about Wolverine. But my feeling was that most of them had heard abut the X-Men. But I really didn't ask more than the one question about if they knew who Wolverine was.

I am sure that all of them would say they have heard of Superman, Batman and Spiderman. Not sure if they all would recognize the name Hulk. But I was suprised about most of them having no clue who or what Wolverine is.

That threw me for a loop. Prior to my asking, I would have bet money that at least ten 12 or the 14 would know he was a comic book, movie or cartoon character. But they didn't have a clue, except for the one girl.

Just goes to show how small our niche here is.

Poll closed.

Thanks to all. Most votes to date as at least 113 voted.

7th TOS #39

8th B&B #28

9th Showcase #22

Next poll starts in 5 mins

So TOS 39 finishes a respectable 7th, I would expect TOS 39 to finish in the top five voting 3 to 5 years from now. Why? it hasn`t hit a plateau like some of the others have. It`s like AF 15 and will continue to go up. (thumbs u