• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stacking Curls

20 posts in this topic

What will otherwise 9.4 and 9.6 books get knocked down to with a stacking curl. I just picked up a large collection of late 70s and early 80s books that are really nice but almost every book has some level of curl as they were bagged but not boarded. Will the take one point hit? More.

I have to decide if it is worth pressing them out or not.

Thanks

James G

What will otherwise 9.4 and 9.6 books get knocked down to with a stacking curl. I just picked up a large collection of late 70s and early 80s books that are really nice but almost every book has some level of curl as they were bagged but not boarded. Will the take one point hit? More.

I have to decide if it is worth pressing them out or not.

Thanks

James G

Sell them to me :devil:

option: bag'em, board'em, alternatly store them front/back. try to work it out over time and proper storing.

If they are bagged and boarded, does front/back really matter?

Yes, you want to alternate the spines.

DR.X

option: bag'em, board'em, alternatly store them front/back. try to work it out over time and proper storing.

If they are bagged and boarded, does front/back really matter?

Yes, you want to alternate the spines.

DR.X

Interesting.... I'll start another topic to discuss.

Just be sure you disclose that you did this when you decide to sell as you are artificially altering the condition of the book and it could cause a rift in the space/time continuum.

stacking curls, is that the same as spine roll?

can you get spine roll by vertically storing comics the traditional way in comic boxes, or is spine roll more a phenomenon related to horizontal stacking?

and can you mitigate spine roll stored horizontally by using boards, or does it not make a difference?

Stacking curl is the precursor to spine roll. It's when you lay the book on a flat surface and the spine has the slightest curve up or down.

Spine roll is when the stacking curl has gone on for a long period of time and has actually altered the spine point of the book. It's so bad that the front half and back half are not the same size and one protrudes farther than the other.

Unfortunately they don't explain a lot of things well in the OS.

...and they don't like changing things when brought to their attention, either.

Stacking curl is the precursor to spine roll. It's when you lay the book on a flat surface and the spine has the slightest curve up or down.

Spine roll is when the stacking curl has gone on for a long period of time and has actually altered the spine point of the book. It's so bad that the front half and back half are not the same size and one protrudes farther than the other.

(thumbs u

I always thought a spine roll was the result of the reader folding back the cover and each page as the book was read. Therefore, rolling the spine as he went.

I always thought a spine roll was the result of the reader folding back the cover and each page as the book was read. Therefore, rolling the spine as he went.

Not necessarily. I have books from my childhood that have spine roll just from the way they were stored.

Stack a pile of books with the spines on the same side for 30 years and I'll guarantee you'll have books with spine roll as a result.

Not necessarily. I have books from my childhood that have spine roll just from the way they were stored.

Stack a pile of books with the spines on the same side for 30 years and I'll guarantee you'll have books with spine roll as a result.

Then that would be a pronounced stacking curl. Besides, I'm not as old as you.

It is. People confuse the two.

Just be sure you disclose that you did this when you decide to sell as you are artificially altering the condition of the book and it could cause a rift in the space/time continuum.

This is the clearest statement of the dangers of pressing that I have ever read. I thank you. :sumo: