• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taping a detached centerfold?

8 posts in this topic

Tried the search function but couldn't find anything on this so I wanna ask, if you place 2 pieces of scotch tape neatly on a detached centerfold, would cgc grade the book higher? I know they deduct 1.5 off the grade normally for a detached centerfold, so would they then consider the centerfold attached and just deduct for the 2 pieces of tape instead? and would that grade deduction be less then 1.5? has anyone tried this?

I believe the anwser is no. The tape would bring the grade down more than the detached centerfold.

thank you. I was sitting here thinking about it and didn't know if anyone had actually tried it as an experiment. Are you saying that cgc would just grade it as detached with tape?

I believe the anwser is no. The tape would bring the grade down more than the detached centerfold.

thank you. I was sitting here thinking about it and didn't know if anyone had actually tried it as an experiment. Are you saying that cgc would just grade it as detached with tape?

They would note about the tape being in the centerfold. They would not use the word detached if the tape was securing the centerfold to the rest of the book. As a rule, tape is a turn-off to most.

They would note about the tape being in the centerfold. They would not use the word detached if the tape was securing the centerfold to the rest of the book. As a rule, tape is a turn-off to most.

yeah I am not a fan of tape what so ever, I was just curious if a grade bump is actually possible this way.

yeah I am not a fan of tape what so ever, I was just curious if a grade bump is actually possible this way.

It is possible say, a complete spine split of the cover.

Don't know about tape, but according to Borock there is a sneaky way to get a grade bump:

"(T)he two center wraps were detached. Having two center wraps detached significantly affects the grade of any comic book that is not already low grade. The wraps were re-attached by opening up the prongs of the staple and then placing them back down firmly in the same position over paper still present on the wraps. This is a non-restorative procedure (no glue or reinforcement). Re-attaching a centerfold, or even a cover, without adding anything to the book (thus not constituting restoration) is something that most hobbyists, collectors and dealers have done many times over. This kind of activity has NEVER been considered to be restoration. It is not always possible to re-attached a centerfold or cover without glue or reinforcement (Restoration). It would depend on the page quality, amount of paper at staple area and staple placement. "

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1065511/site_id/1#import