• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Affordable Silver Age Keys in High Grade...

34 posts in this topic

With limitations of 9.2 or better and $1000 or less, you're restricted to the minor SA keys. Ones that come to mind include Avengers 16 and 57, Strange Tales 135, Tales to Astonish 59, and the 1968 number ones (Hulk, Cap, Subby).

add Iron Man #1 to that list and how about Captain Marvel #1? I consider all of those 1968 #1's to be keys even if they are not on par with ASM#1, FF#1, AF#15 etc (thumbs u

You really think you can get a 9.2 Iron Man #1 for less than a thousand dollars? :takeit:

I just bought this 9.2 white pager from the B/S/T a few days ago for $800 (shrug)

im1.jpg

The original poster stated he might be willing to fork over as much as $1200, which would be enough to buy any of the 1968 Marvel number ones.

Can I just say that the idea of paying $1000 for a 9.2 copy of one of the 1968 "#1s" is more astounding to me than paying $1.1 million for a 9.6 AF 15?

You could afford a 9.2 copy of Silver Surfer #4. That would be my top pick and I'm very surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because, despite being a really cool book with an awesome cover, it isn't a key.

You could afford a 9.2 copy of Silver Surfer #4. That would be my top pick and I'm very surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because, despite being a really cool book with an awesome cover, it isn't a key.

+1

Hello,

This thread has been very helpful. I really appreciate all the advice. I would spend up to $1200 on a single comic by the way, but am more comfortable at $1000. I spend a lot on currency and coins and don't feel comfortable at this time spending a lot on comics.

I have however been buying some key bronze and silver age comics in high grade; here and there. I do like the 1968 #1's as well...

Hello,

This thread has been very helpful. I really appreciate all the advice. I would spend up to $1200 on a single comic by the way, but am more comfortable at $1000. I spend a lot on currency and coins and don't feel comfortable at this time spending a lot on comics.

I have however been buying some key bronze and silver age comics in high grade; here and there. I do like the 1968 #1's as well...

$1,000/comic sounds like a lot to me!

Hello,

Maybe I should have worded it better? I mean in context of buying key silver age comics in high grade. Compared to AF #15 or ASM #1 in high grade, $1000 isn't much.

Hello,

Maybe I should have worded it better? I mean in context of buying key silver age comics in high grade. Compared to AF #15 or ASM #1 in high grade, $1000 isn't much.

I'm just playing! The most I've ever paid for a comic is just over $600, which almost gave me heart palpitations.

+1

I'm fine with that. However, in terms of potential profit and importance to collectors, I don't think there is much, if any, difference between books like Iron Man #1 and Silver Surfer #4.

Now Silver Surfer #1 is a key and it fits well within the OPs budget.