• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Affordable Silver Age Keys in High Grade...

34 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am more of a coin/paper money collector as of late; but I do collect high grade CGC comic books here and there. That being said, let me state what I am asking for. I am looking for any high grade affordable ($1,000 or less) in CGC 9.2 or above Silver Age Keys. These can be late silver age keys (i.e. Iron Man/ Sub-Mariner #1 is a great example), or earlier. Can anyone list some comics that fit into these parameters? I know some (most were warehouse finds I believe; like Nick Fury #1, etc.

I am starting to build an investment grade collection of Silver and Bronze age key issues.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

'mintcollector'

I'd suggest scanning through each of the title specific threads in this forum as you'll often find some good discussion about where each book is moving (and slowing down) on the market. It'll take a while to sift through it all, but nothing comes without a little elbow grease and hard work :)

And do take Speedy's advice once you've selected a few books you'd like to buy--the WTB forum can be a real help. Best of luck!

I would join the GPA Analysis. It will allow you to have the knowledge of an estimate of what books you're looking for typically sell for. Of course, it's not hard data and simply a guide, but it's a good place to start.

I would browse Comic Link daily. I look on there several times a day and there can be deals grabbed if you're diligent. I just grabbed a Superman 233 9.4 White pages and perfect centering for 300 bucks......I saw one end on Ebay with OW-W pages in this grade for about 50 dollars more...

Lastly, buy the book, not the grade. A 9.0 can look like a 9.4 with great centering and white pages, but at a fraction of the cost that a 9.4 with miswrap.

Hello,

I am more of a coin/paper money collector as of late; but I do collect high grade CGC comic books here and there. That being said, let me state what I am asking for. I am looking for any high grade affordable ($1,000 or less) in CGC 9.2 or above Silver Age Keys. These can be late silver age keys (i.e. Iron Man/ Sub-Mariner #1 is a great example), or earlier. Can anyone list some comics that fit into these parameters? I know some (most were warehouse finds I believe; like Nick Fury #1, etc.

I am starting to build an investment grade collection of Silver and Bronze age key issues.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

'mintcollector'

A good unproven strategy is buy some 8.5s and 9.0s and hope in five years CGC will not be as strict as they are now with their grading, maybe you resub in 5 years and they get a slight bump in grade! (thumbs u

Thank you for your help. By the way, I ONLY collect 9.2 or higher, so anything below that is not a possibility at this time. I spend a lot on coins and currency (among other collectibles and antiques); but unfortunately with comics, I won't spend more than $1,000 (okay sometimes $1,200) on one single comic.

I thank you all for the help though!

With limitations of 9.2 or better and $1000 or less, you're restricted to the minor SA keys. Ones that come to mind include Avengers 16 and 57, Strange Tales 135, Tales to Astonish 59, and the 1968 number ones (Hulk, Cap, Subby).

Thank you for your help. By the way, I ONLY collect 9.2 or higher, so anything below that is not a possibility at this time. I spend a lot on coins and currency (among other collectibles and antiques); but unfortunately with comics, I won't spend more than $1,000 (okay sometimes $1,200) on one single comic.

I thank you all for the help though!

Silver keys in 9.2 or better for less than 1K,that's a tall order there brother.Good luck in your quest :wishluck:

With limitations of 9.2 or better and $1000 or less, you're restricted to the minor SA keys. Ones that come to mind include Avengers 16 and 57, Strange Tales 135, Tales to Astonish 59, and the 1968 number ones (Hulk, Cap, Subby).

add Iron Man #1 to that list and how about Captain Marvel #1? I consider all of those 1968 #1's to be keys even if they are not on par with ASM#1, FF#1, AF#15 etc (thumbs u

Yeah, with those parameters, you won't find any key books that are considered "blue chip" books. If you're looking strictly for investment level books, you want ones whose influence reaches outside of the comic collecting populous and connects with mainstream pop culture.

Maybe reconsider your parameters if you really want to invest, or just buy some books for fun instead?

add Iron Man #1 to that list and how about Captain Marvel #1? I consider all of those 1968 #1's to be keys even if they are not on par with ASM#1, FF#1, AF#15 etc (thumbs u

You really think you can get a 9.2 Iron Man #1 for less than a thousand dollars? :takeit:

You really think you can get a 9.2 Iron Man #1 for less than a thousand dollars? :takeit:

Why not? 8 of the last 10 sold were under 1k per gpa.

Easily. Last GPA sale was 676. 12 month avg is $923. I sold a WP 9.2 last year for $1099

Easily. Last GPA sale was 676. 12 month avg is $923. I sold a WP 9.2 last year for $1099

I am sorry but GPA is not the end all be all,check out Clink or Heritage to get an accurate price on that one.Would you sell a 9.2 for 676.00,just sayin'.

When mentioning the 1968 number ones, I meant all of them (you guys are tough demanding they all be listed!). This includes Iron Man and Silver Surfer, with the latter going for the most money at the moment.

I am sorry but GPA is not the end all be all,check out Clink or Heritage to get an accurate price on that one.Would you sell a 9.2 for 676.00,just sayin'.

The last clink was $902, pretty close to the GPA ave, and heritage does report to GPA.