• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 9.6 on yahoo

22 posts in this topic

It's truly amazing!

I'm pretty sure that 99.99999% of guys like me that were collecting in the 80's-90's would agree that we NEVER thought the day would come when a SA Marvel comic would crack a million dollars :ohnoez:

It's truly amazing!

I'm pretty sure that 99.99999% of guys like me that were collecting in the 80's-90's would agree that we NEVER thought the day would come when a SA Marvel comic would crack a million dollars :ohnoez:

as a teen back then, i knew it would happen.

Honestly I would rather have mid grade copies of a Tec 27, action 1 and Fantasy 15 then one uber high grade book.

It doesn't suprise me too much as I think Spiderman is at least as popular as Batman and Superman and perhaps more popular in some places.

I think Superman is the weakest in the general population as the movies just have sucked.

James G

Honestly I would rather have mid grade copies of a Tec 27, action 1 and Fantasy 15 then one uber high grade book.

It doesn't suprise me too much as I think Spiderman is at least as popular as Batman and Superman and perhaps more popular in some places.

I think Superman is the weakest in the general population as the movies just have sucked.

James G

I was operating under that assumption also....then I remembered that one of my favorite shows of all time has been on once a week for the last 10 years on prime time network TV and features Superman....it's called Smallville, and neither Spidey nor Bats can claim that distinction. 10 years on prime time is almost unheard of these days. Superman is the quiet Icon, so deeply ingrained to be almost subconscious. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

James G

I was operating under that assumption also....then I remembered that one of my favorite shows of all time has been on once a week for the last 10 years on prime time network TV and features Superman....it's called Smallville, and neither Spidey nor Bats can claim that distinction. 10 years on prime time is almost unheard of these days. Superman is the quiet Icon, so deeply ingrained to be almost subconscious. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's nowhere near as good as the Lois and Clark series. That was great, but of course it all supports the Superman popularity. Spider-Man is my favorite, but it has not translated well to TV like Superman has.

If a piece of art few people even recognize can fetch 30 mil +

Why is it a shocker that the best existing copies of Spidey, Batman, Superman,

fetch a single mil ?

I mean really, put this in prospective. To me, they are STILL drastically undervalued. These characters are here to stay and are a key historic piece of original Americana. And a person can own the highest known ORIGINAL COPY for 1 mil ? .... Again ... this seems very reasonable. cheap.

If a piece of art few people even recognize can fetch 30 mil +

Why is it a shocker that the best existing copies of Spidey, Batman, Superman,

fetch a single mil ?

I mean really, put this in prospective. To me, they are STILL drastically undervalued. These characters are here to stay and are a key historic piece of original Americana. And a person can own the highest known ORIGINAL COPY for 1 mil ? .... Again ... this seems very reasonable. cheap.

What do you think about original art (OA)? Particularly Romita Spider-Man covers? (shrug);)

I never thought I would see the day when comics, much as I adore the hobby and art form, would be worth more then most any mass produced item from a comparable era. For that matter, someone correct me if I am wrong, as I am not all that knowledgable about this, but is it true that at this point most higher value blue chip comics are worth more then many classic first edition books (like Frankenstein, to name one) that are centuries old?

Any one have any thoughts if this sale effect the vaule of the 9.4 copies?

Joe, I'd say that 9.4 copies have been steadily rising since their $200K/2008 highs.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've already had people ask me about 9.4 copies and were willing to pay over $300K early last year. Some people disagree, but I'm sure this sale will have an effect on undercopies...the higher the grade, the more I believe it will be affected.

There's already a reported sale on GPA of a CGC 5.0 for $18K from eBay this week but not sure how legit it is.

Any one have any thoughts if this sale effect the vaule of the 9.4 copies?

Joe, I'd say that 9.4 copies have been steadily rising since their $200K/2008 highs.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've already had people ask me about 9.4 copies and were willing to pay over $300K early last year. Some people disagree, but I'm sure this sale will have an effect on undercopies...the higher the grade, the more I believe it will be affected.

There's already a reported sale on GPA of a CGC 5.0 for $18K from eBay this week but not sure how legit it is.

It's from a seller with no sales as of May 2010 and only 1 sale of $31.00 and last sale .99 cent comics.

The March Clink auction has a 5.5 OW so that should give us an idea of how auction prices will be affected. If that $18K price is semi-legit we should see a number approaching that in a true auction. The book has chipping though, so it will be interesting to see how it does.