• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If YOU were single and met a beautiful woman.....

77 posts in this topic

Setup: Let's say you make your living (maybe you really do) selling comic books. Either through Ebay, at conventions, as a private dealer or comic store owner.

So... you are at a party and meet a very beautiful, classy and sophisticated woman, she is single and being very flirtatious with you. You sit down and have a drink with her.

Question: Do you tell her how you make a living by selling comic books knowing that there is a very good possibility that she may instantly see "geek-boy" etched on your forehead?

Do you embellish it by telling her that you are a dealer of rare and antique books? Hey, THAT almost sounds dignified.

Or what do you say when telling her how you make a living?

Just curious.

-----Sid

Is this woman a lesbian? And why does she think I'm a boy? This woman sounds very confused. I think comics are the least of her problems.

-- Joanna

sign-funnypost.gif

Have you been to a comic con?

I think it is safe to say from my limited experience with Conventions, and comic shops.

A Fanboy has a distinctive look about him, and most of the time it is not flattering.

yeah, yeah. but even at a comic con, I think the normal people generally still outweigh (slightly) the bizarre weirdos. I'll never forget at the first Wizard World East seeing the "thor" family... everyone from grandma (or was it pa) to the youngest kid all dressed in Thor outfits. One for the f----n ages.

No worries.. I might point out to you though, I did say "Fanboys" at cons.. not normal con goers..

Was just trying to describe a typical "Fanboy image"

Now.. enough about geeks.. lets get back to that woman....

Zeman

Setup: Let's say you make your living (maybe you really do) selling comic books. Either through Ebay, at conventions, as a private dealer or comic store owner.

So... you are at a party and meet a very beautiful, classy and sophisticated woman, she is single and being very flirtatious with you. You sit down and have a drink with her.

Question: Do you tell her how you make a living by selling comic books knowing that there is a very good possibility that she may instantly see "geek-boy" etched on your forehead?

Do you embellish it by telling her that you are a dealer of rare and antique books? Hey, THAT almost sounds dignified.

Just curious.

-----Sid

Is this woman a lesbian? And why does she think I'm a boy? This woman sounds very confused. I think comics are the least of her problems.

-- Joanna

She probably figured you liked Wonder Woman, and the whole island of women, Amazon thing. Although why this woman would think you were a boy? confused-smiley-013.gif

You should tell her your not interested J.

She probably figured you liked Wonder Woman, and the whole island of women, Amazon thing.

And none of you guys like male characters, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You should tell her your not interested J.

I'm going to take your advice. Instead, I'm going to find me one of those comic-loving lawyers.

-- Joanna

For a final parting thought, women can smell insecurity and they do not like the odor. If you're a comic dealer, make no apologies, be proud of what you do, and explain why it's the coolest job in the world (which it is, aside from being a comics creator). If she has half a brain inside that pretty head, it should work out well for you. thumbsup2.gif

I think that pretty much sums it up. Never in my pre-marriage days did I ever hide my collecting habits, and never did it cost me any female attention, at least that I know of. I never apologised for it, and I think it often won me bonus points with some women. In fact, some may have found it intriguing-- I always thought the thought process went something like this;"Here's a (at the time) 20-something, relatively driven, relatively successful, relatively athletic guy who is self-assured enough to tell me that he reads comics".

True story: When I lived in DC in the early 90's, I was in a bar on M Street with my roommate, a former collector. After talking to a hottie (that was really the depth of my interest at the time) for about a half hour, I briefly re-joined my friend, who responded by "What the hell are you talking to her about?". I told him that, among other things, we were discussing my collection. He was in shock. Too bad I had to dump her within a few weeks because she couldn't understand why a day-care center fired her for slapping a toddler. I think her exact words were, "She hit me first." Unreal. Point is, you can tell someone anything and if you convey the message with confidence, chances are they won't hold it against you.

She probably figured you liked Wonder Woman, and the whole island of women, Amazon thing.

And none of you guys like male characters, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...all the male comic characters I enjoy reading about don't live on a remote island with other men and live with the ideal that they don't need women. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bring it up at a later date unless she asks you! Always best to leave it till it is asked about! OMG she wants to come to my house tonight devil.gif Oh well Ill see if I can get her to stay away from the Comic room insane.gif Shell never notice anyway 27_laughing.gif

Davidking623

893naughty-thumb.gif

If your personality has spark and she digs you, it doesn't matter what you do for a living especially if you are doing pretty well (as long is it is legit anyways tongue.gif ). My policy when meeting someone new is to be up front and honest. The lies come after you actually hook up! gossip.gif

I DESPISE you!!!! grin.gif

of course I would tell her.

telling women you collect comics can be a little daunting at first as well. Most people assume you're going to get laughed at. I don't think it's happened to me once.

If you sell comics and are doing well enough at it to make a good living, I think a lot of women will find it interesting. You obviously can't be physically repulsive or else she wouldn't be talking to you in the first place, so you're job isn't the turn off. I'm sure all the guys who are married or with girlfriends (Bob storms, Ted, Vincent, Josh etc) didn't hide what they did.

Believe me, half the time I'm more embarassed to tell people I'm a lawyer... since most people despise lawyers.

Mrs. Donut knew long before we were "involved" that I was a comic guy - she was a housemate before we were "dating" The woman before Mrs. Donut also knew (she was the other "housemate" devil.gif) as did the woman before that. Never been a problem.

And yes, for those of you putting two and two together. I was Jack Tripper. Sleeping with Chrissy. Married Janet.

I remember meeting a fine, fine, fresh tender white meat girl devil.gifthumbsup2.gif

You are a dog!! "Fresh tender white girl"? Did you eat her after dinner??? confused.gif

893whatthe.gifThat's kind of personal!!! 27_laughing.gif

I've never had a problem telling women I collect comics. I don't look like the typical comic-collector stereotype, and considering that I was in the bodyguard/private security business(which is the opposite of the computer/dungeons and dragons/star wars geek stigma that is attached to the hobby) they usually don't bat an eyelash.

I think the key is not to "geek out" infront of them. If they show no signs of interest in the fact that comics are your hobby, don't talk about it. And if you're having her over, for the love of god, tuck the wonder woman blow up doll under the bed, and put the bowen crepe and action figures in the closet. tongue.gif

EDIT: And if you are a serious vintage collector, spending big $$$, I would suggest not mentioning what you spend. If you end up with her, it could wind up coming back and biting you in the arse. She'll figure that if you're willing to spend 1K on a comic, then you should be willing to spend 1K on her, for no special occasion. foreheadslap.gif

Just curious.

-----Sid

The minute you told me what you do...

I would probably fall in love......

Thanks for all the responses to my original post guys (and some gals). Some of you responded as if you were giving me personal advice. I am not actually in this situation (I am happily married to a very sexy women that could care less what I do with comics) but I had encountered a few similar experiences in my younger days.

What I was originally trying to get at is a scenario where you were at a party or club or something, did not really have time to get to know the girl, but only had enough time (maybe 15-30 minutes) to have an initial conversation with the girl and make a first impression. She likes you or she doesn't based on that. Of course if it is someone that you may work with or go to school with who gets to know you, then she can accept you for who you are and all that. But with a first impression only, if she asks how you make a living (not prying, just asking like you asked her) then what do you say? Sure, if you look, dress and act like James Bond it won't really matter. But if you are the average dude, really want to at least have the opportunity to get to know the girl, just what kind of info about your career (or at least how do you describe it or what do you call it) do you want her to know? Maybe if she was to get to know you she may think your passion for and career in comics is cool, she could learn to understand, ya' know. But at first all she may know is the stereotype. We all have stereotypes, that's just the way people are. Anyway------- confused-smiley-013.gif ------Sid