• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If YOU were single and met a beautiful woman.....

77 posts in this topic

Setup: Let's say you make your living (maybe you really do) selling comic books. Either through Ebay, at conventions, as a private dealer or comic store owner.

So... you are at a party and meet a very beautiful, classy and sophisticated woman, she is single and being very flirtatious with you. You sit down and have a drink with her.

Question: Do you tell her how you make a living by selling comic books knowing that there is a very good possibility that she may instantly see "geek-boy" etched on your forehead?

Do you embellish it by telling her that you are a dealer of rare and antique books? Hey, THAT almost sounds dignified.

Or what do you say when telling her how you make a living?

Just curious.

-----Sid

Setup: Let's say you make your living (maybe you really do) selling comic books. Either through Ebay, at conventions, as a private dealer or comic store owner.

So... you are at a party and meet a very beautiful, classy and sophisticated woman, she is single and being very flirtatious with you. You sit down and have a drink with her.

Question: Do you tell her how you make a living by selling comic books knowing that there is a very good possibility that she may instantly see "geek-boy" etched on your forehead?

Do you embellish it by telling her that you are a dealer of rare and antique books? Hey, THAT almost sounds dignified.

Or what do you say when telling her how you make a living?

Just curious.

-----Sid

Lie! Lie like a rug!!!

Then come clean the next morning over breakfast.

If your personality has spark and she digs you, it doesn't matter what you do for a living especially if you are doing pretty well (as long is it is legit anyways tongue.gif ). My policy when meeting someone new is to be up front and honest. The lies come after you actually hook up! gossip.gif

Presuming that selling comic books was all that I did, I would tell her the truth. Of course, I'm usually one of the guys bidding on ebay lots on Saturday nights, so what do I know!! boo.gif

Actually, selling comics is just a part time venture for me. I also help another ebay seller who deals in antiques and coins. I work part time at a local radio station as the night man and I also play in a local rock n roll band. Life is far from dull, but rarely do I have the time to go to parties and meet beautiful women. Plus my fiancee would kill me if I did! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'd be a lot more likely to tell her that I owned a comic shop than I would be to tell her my dirty secret in life which is that I have seen every episode of every Star Trek series (actually true). It's a darn good thing I'm already married! wink.gif

of course I would tell her.

telling women you collect comics can be a little daunting at first as well. Most people assume you're going to get laughed at. I don't think it's happened to me once.

If you sell comics and are doing well enough at it to make a good living, I think a lot of women will find it interesting. You obviously can't be physically repulsive or else she wouldn't be talking to you in the first place, so you're job isn't the turn off. I'm sure all the guys who are married or with girlfriends (Bob storms, Ted, Vincent, Josh etc) didn't hide what they did.

Believe me, half the time I'm more embarassed to tell people I'm a lawyer... since most people despise lawyers.

Usually after you give them the money it doesn't matter what you say to them. Especially if your paying for the GFE, right 'House?

...otherwise, if your embarrased about selling comic books, assuming this is your main business. Just say your self-employed, or you own your own retail/mail order periodical business.

....or just lie and say your an inventor.

In the real world, no freaking way!

In the fantasy land of the forums, I'm sure everyone would tell her right off. 27_laughing.gif

You would have to do the honorable thing and not lie

about yourself. Honest relationships are always based

on not trying to fool the other individual.

Now that the BS is out of the way...

Bobbie and I moved in together about 2 weeks before we were

actually married, and the tongue wagging that triggered is a

story for another day. Of course that was when the world was

still in black and white, and Batman was the only show in color.

I had my 'junk' in the back of my truck, and stood in the bed and

passed my boxes of stuff up to her on the second story balconey

of the apartment we had rented. To my surprise, when I passed her

the boxes packed with comic books she didn't snicker, laugh, or

even look at me funny. She did think the model cars were a bit

childish, but I'm 50 years old and still love to build model cars.

If someone really cares about you enough to spend the rest of

their life with you, it probably doesn't matter if you shovel [!@#%^&^] for

a living as long as you are an honorable [!@#%^&^] shoveler.

Which brings us to the second part of our story. If all you're interested

in is getting into the young and tender giblets britches, then lie your

happy little [!@#%^&^] off....

Upfront is the way to be. And who knows. There may be a bonus - she may actually say something like "Do you find DC BA Horror on the upswing?"

Actually I did meet a women a few years ago in my apartment building - she knew GA superhero comics better than I did. Was kind of a shock. She was also into b&w movies with a special attraction for the 30's and 40's sci-fi (and also Ed Wood).

Upfront is the way to be. And who knows. There may be a bonus - she may actually say something like "Do you find DC BA Horror on the upswing?"

Actually I did meet a women a few years ago in my apartment building - she knew GA superhero comics better than I did. Was kind of a shock. She was also into b&w movies with a special attraction for the 30's and 40's sci-fi (and also Ed Wood).

she has an attraction for Ed Wood? realy?

In the real world, no freaking way!

In the fantasy land of the forums, I'm sure everyone would tell her right off. 27_laughing.gif

I need 1 more piece of info before I can honestly answer.

This comic shop owner/seller.

Is he the sterotypical geek guy (i.e. comic shop guy on the Simpsons)

insane.gif

Or is he dashingly handsome, with rapier wit, and hung like a horsey? thumbsup2.gif

I think if you were the latter.. you could tell her you worked as a janitor at the morge and she wouldnt care.

Sadly good looks get you in the door with hot chicks, its rare that one will give you enough time to win her over with your smile, and good personality at coctail party.

Before I met my lovely wife, I was a typical male, (dog) and after years of some succes, and some failures I realized I was trying to hard, I found honesty, and being straight with woman is the only way to go

.And really good looking woman are used to guys hitting on them, and most of them are to scared to even try, so when you approach one, be yourself,, who knows, maybe she likes geeks.

So my answer would be wear the geek badge proudly, and you might be surprised when she says.." OMG 893whatthe.gif

I used to read Archie and Veronica, I have a whole closet full."

"Would you like to come over and take a look at them?"...........wink wink, nudge nudge.. say no more shy.gif

I remember meeting a fine, fine, fresh tender white meat girl devil.gif about 1/2 a year ago that came in with her mom to buy some stuff and the comic book thing actually helped me out. I mentioned that I bought and sold stuff on ebay on a regular basis, which built common ground for the mom and I. It got the ball rolling and next thing you know I had the daughter's number in my pocket and the mom already approved of me for a date thumbsup2.gif

Killer,

I'm a lawyer as well and agree about the public's perception (all true!!). But, to some women (most) this could mean you make a decent living and most guys probably feel this is very important to a girl in that initial get to know you stage.

I think the way to go is to be brutally honest. Tell her you're a comic book dealer/collector, that you love the books and have been collecting for some time. If this rubs her the wrong way, screw her (not literally, unless that's all you want) because if she doesn't like you for who you are, etc., she's not worth the effort in going thru a relationship. If she understands your passion and thinks it's a cool hobby & way to make a living, then you have someone who you like now even better that can potentially help you at shows, on line, etc. I've seen a bunch of guys with girlfriends/wives at shows (Bob Storms comes to mind) and it can definitely help the process and makes selling the books easier.

Again, do not be "embarrassed" that you collect/deal books. If she doesn't get it, its their loss. If she'd rather be with a weight lifter, for example, then you're better off without her.

So my answer would be wear the geek badge proudly, and you might be surprised when she says.." OMG

I used to read Archie and Veronica, I have a whole closet full."

"Would you like to come over and take a look at them?"...........wink wink, nudge nudge.. say no more

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. insane.gif