• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

1st to 3rd  

414 members have voted

1. 1. 1st to 3rd

116 posts in this topic

"Then logically, Yellow Kid or Funnies on Parade, or any other pioneers of the medium are the most important books, not Action 1, since without them Action 1 would not exist. Why is Action 1 considered the number 1 book then?"

Showcase 4 would not only be a pioneer, but also brought about decades of arguably the best selling books (superheroes), the same as Action 1 before it. Sorry to respectfully disagree, but Action 1 was a 'pioneer book' or whatever other terminology you wish to apply. However, Showcase 4 was not. Action 1 ushered in the era of Superheroes. Showcase 4 did not..it merely instigated a revival of second and third string DC Golden Age superheroes in a

time when the first stringers such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were still going strong, and in the case of Superman, launched yet another title (Supes Pal, Jimmy Olsen).

Not only is being a pioneer important, but also the popularity of the heroes (Supes and Flash), along with the specific genre they largely helped spawn. Supes and Flash have made huge impacts in the comic world (and Supes in the merchandising world) I don't think I'd apply the impact of Supes and the Flash in the same sentance...Supes' impact was leaps and bounds above and beyond the impact of the Flash. Its not even close.

"What we do know for certain is that FF 1 was the beginning of the Marvel U as we know it today, and that AF 15 was the first appearance of arguably the most popular comic character ever created"

This I agree with 100%

"My argument is not that Showcase 4 isn't significant, but that it isn't in the same league as AF 15 or FF 1"

IMO they are all in the same league without a doubt- with AF 15 being more significant than the other two

Sorry, again, but they are not in the same league and in fact, you will see them moving in opposite directions...AF15 will increase in price and importance; Showcase 4 will decend further in the opposite direction.

If the price of Showcase 4 dropped to $1 for a 9.6, and no one ever thought about the comic again, it wouldn't impact it's importance to the Silver Age, which is what this poll was supposed to be about. No one is saying The Flash is as important, as cool, as pioneering, as whatever-you-want, as either Superman or Spider-Man. It's about the issue itself, and the effect it had on the industry.

To acknowledge this will in no way hurt anyone's Marvel Zombie Street Cred.

"Then logically, Yellow Kid or Funnies on Parade, or any other pioneers of the medium are the most important books, not Action 1, since without them Action 1 would not exist. Why is Action 1 considered the number 1 book then?"

Showcase 4 would not only be a pioneer, but also brought about decades of arguably the best selling books (superheroes), the same as Action 1 before it. Sorry to respectfully disagree, but Action 1 was a 'pioneer book' or whatever other terminology you wish to apply. However, Showcase 4 was not. Action 1 ushered in the era of Superheroes. Showcase 4 did not..it merely instigated a revival of second and third string DC Golden Age superheroes in a

time when the first stringers such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were still going strong, and in the case of Superman, launched yet another title (Supes Pal, Jimmy Olsen).

Not only is being a pioneer important, but also the popularity of the heroes (Supes and Flash), along with the specific genre they largely helped spawn. Supes and Flash have made huge impacts in the comic world (and Supes in the merchandising world) I don't think I'd apply the impact of Supes and the Flash in the same sentance...Supes' impact was leaps and bounds above and beyond the impact of the Flash. Its not even close.

"What we do know for certain is that FF 1 was the beginning of the Marvel U as we know it today, and that AF 15 was the first appearance of arguably the most popular comic character ever created"

This I agree with 100%

"My argument is not that Showcase 4 isn't significant, but that it isn't in the same league as AF 15 or FF 1"

IMO they are all in the same league without a doubt- with AF 15 being more significant than the other two

Sorry, again, but they are not in the same league and in fact, you will see them moving in opposite directions...AF15 will increase in price and importance; Showcase 4 will decend further in the opposite direction.

That maybe true but that does not diminish the importance of SC4. The fact is Spiderman did not out sell Flash until 1966. So no matter what you think AF15/FF1 were the anchors of the Marvel Universe but DC owned the silver age for 10 years until the middle of the 60s.

If the price of Showcase 4 dropped to $1 for a 9.6, and no one ever thought about the comic again, it wouldn't impact it's importance to the Silver Age, which is what this poll was supposed to be about. No one is saying The Flash is as important, as cool, as pioneering, as whatever-you-want, as either Superman or Spider-Man. It's about the issue itself, and the effect it had on the industry.

What I am trying to say is that as time goes by, Showcase 4's importance to the Silverage will continue to wane, just as it has for the past decade. That's all.

does the poll officially close when FF 1 pulls ahead of Showcase 4?

I'm just at putting polls together doh!

Should have ended by now.

So I;m calling the poll closed.

Final result:

1st AF#15 57 votes

2nd Showcase #4 92 votes

3rd FF #1 100 votes.

What I am trying to say is that as time goes by, Showcase 4's importance to the Silverage will continue to wane, just as it has for the past decade. That's all.

I hear ya. I think we just have different definitions of "importance." To me, there's nothing that can chance a comic's importance to the Silver Age. The Silver Age is over. The importance of SC 4 may wane in overall comic importance, or in the mind of a particular collector, but what it did for the SA, however you define that, must be a constant. And that's the criteria I used in voting here. Know what I mean?

It's also the comic I want most in the world. Infantino pencils and Kubert inks is a pretty badass combo! Although the cover's kinda weak IMO.

This I agree with 100%

That maybe true but that does not diminish the importance of SC4. The fact is Spiderman did not out sell Flash until 1966. So no matter what you think AF15/FF1 were the anchors of the Marvel Universe but DC owned the silver age for 10 years until the middle of the 60s.

DC really owned the entire Silver Age.

Sales figures. :cloud9:

does the poll officially close when FF 1 pulls ahead of Showcase 4?

I'm just at putting polls together doh!

Should have ended by now.

So I;m calling the poll closed.

Final result:

1st AF#15 57 votes

2nd Showcase #4 92 votes

3rd FF #1 100 votes.

No surprise at AF 15 taking the top spot, but a bit of an upset with Showcase 4 coming in at #2.

This I agree with 100%

DC really owned the entire Silver Age.

Sales figures. :cloud9:

Not to imply Flash is more important than Spider Man which he is not but Spidey really stinks these day and sales are in decline. Flash has outsold Amazing Spiderman for the last six months. Could you have ever envsioned that 10 years ago.

Things change.

In the 1940s Captain Marvel was Supermans Equal.

In the 1950s Horror, Westerns, and Cartoon books ruled.

In the 1960s Everything Superman Dominated, really dominated. 5-7 of the top titles almost every year.

In the 1970s Marvel Ruled

In the 1980s Mutants Ruled the world

In the 1990s Wolverine/Spider Man dominated.

In the 2000s Not sure anything is dominating. It is still a superhero market but you have to say Vertigo, Image, and Icon have made inroads.

When I was growing up, I never thought I would see the day that X-Men played second fiddle to anything or anyone. They so thourghly dominated the landscape that Marvel acheived its highest market share during mutant mania. There will come a time when ASM and AF15 won't be the book. Superheroes at some point won't hold the importance they do now.

Things change.

Not to imply Flash is more important than Spider Man which he is not but Spidey really stinks these day and sales are in decline. Flash has outsold Amazing Spiderman for the last six months. Could you have ever envsioned that 10 years ago.

Things change.

In the 1940s Captain Marvel was Supermans Equal.

In the 1950s Horror, Westerns, and Cartoon books ruled.

In the 1960s Everything Superman Dominated, really dominated. 5-7 of the top titles almost every year.

In the 1970s Marvel Ruled

In the 1980s Mutants Ruled the world, except towards the end of mid/end of the decade when DC's relaunches kicked Marvel's butt (think WW, Flash, JLA, Man of Steel, Superman, etc)In the 1990s Wolverine/Spider Man dominated.Vertigo, Image

In the 2000s Not sure anything is dominating. It is still a superhero market but you have to say Icon have made inroads.

When I was growing up, I never thought I would see the day that X-Men played second fiddle to anything or anyone. They so thourghly dominated the landscape that Marvel acheived its highest market share during mutant mania. There will come a time when ASM and AF15 won't be the book. Superheroes at some point won't hold the importance they do now.

Things change.

Agreed. I also fixed some of the content in your timeline. I agree with most of it...it just needed a few tweaks (thumbs u

It will be interesting to look back on this thread in fifty years and laugh at the results. Especially in light of the much anticipated reboot, and resulting surge in popularity of...wait for it.... Metamorpho! By 2020 Metamorpho will appear in multiple titles spurred on by a starring role in the hugely popular, mega-selling "Chemical Imbalance" multi-universe, multi-publisher crossover event which ultimately establishes him as the strongest comic character being published (he destroys Superman and the Hulk at the same time, one-handed, while taking a dump!), thus settling any nerd argument. By 2030 he will far and away be the most popular comic book character on the planet, brilliantly translated into virtually every language known to man. By 2040 his first appearance will be the most desired back issue, period. By 2050 it will be one of the most valuable items of wood pulp paper ever printed. By 2061 Brave and the Bold #57 will be voted not only the most important comic book ever published, but the most important periodical of any kind!

It will be interesting to look back on this thread in fifty years and laugh at the results. Especially in light of the much anticipated reboot, and resulting surge in popularity of...wait for it.... Metamorpho! By 2020 Metamorpho will appear in multiple titles spurred on by a starring role in the hugely popular, mega-selling "Chemical Imbalance" multi-universe, multi-publisher crossover event which ultimately establishes him as the strongest comic character being published (he destroys Superman and the Hulk at the same time, one-handed, while taking a dump!), thus settling any nerd argument. By 2030 he will far and away be the most popular comic book character on the planet, brilliantly translated into virtually every language known to man. By 2040 his first appearance will be the most desired back issue, period. By 2050 it will be one of the most valuable items of wood pulp paper ever printed. By 2061 Brave and the Bold #57 will be voted not only the most important comic book ever published, but the most important periodical of any kind!

Gawd I love me some Bedrock :roflmao: There is one last comic waiting to stand in your place,

B