• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

1st to 3rd  

414 members have voted

1. 1. 1st to 3rd

116 posts in this topic

All,

thanks for the continuing strong vote participation. At least 98 people participated in the previous round.

The list after the last round:

4th Hulk #1

5th X-Men #1

6th JIM #83

7th TOS #39

8th B&B #28

9th Showcase #22

10th ASM #1

11th Avengers #1

12th Avengers #4

13th Daredevil #1

14th FF #5

15th FF #48

16th Adv #247

17th ST #110

18th ASM #14

19th FF#4

20th Flash #105

21st Sgt Fury #1

22nd TTA #27

23rd Action #252

24th Tec #225

25th OAAW #83

26th B&B #34

27th GL #1

28th JLA #1

29th ASM #3

30th Flash #123

31st ASM #50

After a month of polls we are finally down to the final 3.

You have 2 votes accordingly.

Please vote off the 2 least important books

My votes... FF 1, Showcase 4

Thanks for organising this fascinating contest, George. I've enjoyed it.

It is a joke showcase 4 is still around. I like the sa Flash but quite frankly over the last 40 years he has not been as relevant as spiderman, ff, hulk, ironman or xmen which is why his first appearance, despite being rarer than the others, does not command the same price premium.

If we did this poll 30 years ago showcase 4 would have been one of the big dogs but times change.

It is a joke showcase 4 is still around. I like the sa Flash but quite frankly over the last 40 years he has not been as relevant as spiderman, ff, hulk, ironman or xmen which is why his first appearance, despite being rarer than the others, does not command the same price premium.

If we did this poll 30 years ago showcase 4 would have been one of the big dogs but times change.

Showcase 4 isn't around because of The Flash's popularity. It's because:

It's generally considered the beginning of the SA

It's the beginning of the resurgence of the Superhero

It's the first of DC's new heroes (or retooled heroes for a new age, however you prefer to look at it)

As I understood it, this poll wasn't about which superheros were the coolest, but which comic issues were most important, which in my mind means "had the most impact."

Showcase 4 isn't around because of The Flash's popularity. It's because:

It's generally considered the beginning of the SA

It's the beginning of the resurgence of the Superhero

It's the first of DC's new heroes (or retooled heroes for a new age, however you prefer to look at it)

As I understood it, this poll wasn't about which superheros were the coolest, but which comic issues were most important, which in my mind means "had the most impact."

That was exactly the intention underlying the poll.

I mis-read it, or should say didn't read it, and voted the 2 books to remain... doh!

...if you care to fix it...

Voted

AF15

FF1 to remain

Meant to vote

FF1

SC4 off

It's probably not going to make a difference and SC4 needs the votes, or should I say lack of votes.

if its true as the story goes that Martin Goodman told Stan to create a team book after hearing that the JLA was successful for DC, and STan then and there set out creating the FF, there should be no argument that the MOST IMPORTANT SA book was Brave and Bold 28.

however. In todays eyes? As Spidey success has eclipsed his forebearers the FF, clearly the MOST IMPORTANT BOOK TO OWN (or covet) if AF 15.

Its like champion boxers. Joe Louis was best of all time. But as time passes. Ali becomes the best of all time.

I wanted to vote three off this round!

Y'know - once the herd thinned below 10 books the purpose would have been better served by reducing the number of eliminations to two in each round.

Then when it got down to five books - the votes should have been reduced to 2 with one elimination per round.

At this point we should only be given one elimination vote.

Eliminating two means picking a favourite... hm...so if the DC trolls are outnumbered by the Marvel Zombies 2 to 1 - it's a horse race.

:insane:

Great work on the topic/polls koko!

if its true as the story goes that Martin Goodman told Stan to create a team book after hearing that the JLA was successful for DC, and STan then and there set out creating the FF, there should be no argument that the MOST IMPORTANT SA book was Brave and Bold 28.

But there IS an argument. There would have been no JLA if the Flash revival wasnt successful. Therefore, Showcase 4 would be the most important, according to your criteria.

but Goodman and Stan were not interested in following DC UNTIL BB28. To them Showcase 4, 8, 22, etc never happened on their radar. Only after golf dod Goodman ORDER Stan to create a team book.

so yeah, showcase 4 led to JLA etc, but, so did Showcase 3, and every other comic book produced. My angle cedes the SA to excitement over Marvels new fangled take on superheroes. If you agree that the SA was the Marvel Age, and a large majority do as we see in every poll like this, ....the only DC book that matters is BB28 because it jumpstarted Marvels superheroes.

Stan had no interest in superheroes until Goodman pushed him. Thats when he said to his wife "but Ill do them MY way this time!"