• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

1st to 3rd  

414 members have voted

1. 1. 1st to 3rd

116 posts in this topic

As a follow-up to my last post regarding having two elimination votes for this final round:

I could be wrong, but it seems that if, for example, most Marvel fans tend to vote off FF#1 and SC#4, while if most DC fans vote off AF#15 and FF#1, then poor FF#1 might actually end up in a very close 3rd place (by default?) when this is over. If that scenario comes true, it may not actually reflect its true standing, especially in light of the results of the previous few rounds, thereby re-inforcing my (and a few others') opinion that there should only have been one vote off instead of two for this round. Otherwise, this poll has been a very useful, informative and fun exercise. Many thanks. Any thoughts?

Whoever sees 1koko in person should beat him unmercifully.

lol

I had thought about changing the format but it was always going to be the case that there would be some form of Marvel versus DC bias in the poll.

This was always going to be the case when I decided to ask people to determine a list based on "importance".

I deliberately left the term "important" undefined as I've always thought that the best thing about polls was the debate around the poll rather than the placement of each book.

I felt that rather than imposing my owwn definition I would allow those participating define what is important to them. Reflecting on how the poll has evolved "important" is very much a point in time reference (i.e. now) rather than at point of issuance and as such it would be interesting to see how this poll has compared to others in the past and those in the future as and when they happen.

Looking at how the last 3 books are currently positioned this is definetly reflecting Spider-man's position as one of the big three (a result that was probably never in doubt).

We should still beat you unmercifully!

In all seriousness, thanks for doing all the heavy lifting in running a fun poll! (worship)

Definitely the busiest the SA Forum has been in a while for those not obsessed with a certain DC book that shall not be named.

I voted off AF 15 and SC 4

FF 1 is the book

+1

Call me old school, but FF 1 will always be the most important book of the Silver Age.

I think both FF1 and AF15 are equally important. FF1 for starting off the Marvel Universe (happy 50th anniversary true believers!) and AF15 for Spidey's sheer popularity to the point of soon thereafter becoming Marvel's flagship & trademark character (just as Supes is to being DC's). But I still think that AF15 should ultimately take the top spot, with FF1 a close second, though we probably won't be seeing that when this poll finishes (as explained in my last post).

BTW. From the start, both these titles were also blessed with having great artists who were tailor-made for them. Kirby and Ditko were da' men !!! Oh, and I mustn't forget Stan the Man himself for writing both of them. Excelsior !!!

I am not surprised to see FF #1 in third place for the simple reason that the number of collectors who grew up reading FF is slowly dwindling. Most of the collectors I know that are around my age (I am 35) started reading/collecting comics when X-Men and ASM would have been the top two Marvel books (with Batman being the big DC character) and as a result we do not hold FF #1 in as high regard as older collectors do. For me, X-Men #1 was a bigger book to own as a teen when I started chasing higher $$$ books than FF #1 as a result of this.

Sad, but probably true. I'm sure my love for the FF colors my view of its importance.

It will still undoubtedly be considered a key book for Marvel collectors, but not as significant as it used to be. Mind you, in another decade we might be saying the same thing with Spider-Man. Marvel has not been kind to either franchise comic book wise over the past decade or two.

Definitely the busiest the SA Forum has been in a while for those not obsessed with a certain DC book that shall not be named.

Looks like that will be B&B #28 now...........

I voted off AF 15 and SC 4

FF 1 is the book

+1

Call me old school, but FF 1 will always be the most important book of the Silver Age.

I think both FF1 and AF15 are equally important. FF1 for starting off the Marvel Universe (happy 50th anniversary true believers!) and AF15 for Spidey's sheer popularity to the point of soon thereafter becoming Marvel's flagship & trademark character (just as Supes is to being DC's). But I still think that AF15 should ultimately take the top spot, with FF1 a close second, though we probably won't be seeing that when this poll finishes (as explained in my last post).

BTW. From the start, both these titles were also blessed with having great artists who were tailor-made for them. Kirby and Ditko were da' men !!! Oh, and I mustn't forget Stan the Man himself for writing both of them. Excelsior !!!

WELCOME

TO THE

BOARDS!

:headbang:

I really couldn't bring myself to vote on this one. Why...?

A - FF #1 kicked off the extraordinary, unequalled SA of Marvel Comics :headbang:

B - AF #15 was the introduction of arguably the most unique superhero of all time :banana:

C - Without the renewed, widespread interest in the superhero genre that SC #4 generated, the other two titles likely may have never been born :gossip:

D - This poll was a nice idea and appreciated diversion, but I agree with some others who said only one book should've been eliminated at this stage

It was much harder for me to find a SC #4 in the VF area than the other two - most dealers and auctions always have an FF and AF to sell, but you don't commonly see the SC in their stock. Most collectors who own one in any grade are very reluctant to part with it. IMHO

Anyway... I cherish all 3 and for me to attempt ranking them would be like trying to pick my favorite child.

As a follow-up to my last post regarding having two elimination votes for this final round:

I could be wrong, but it seems that if, for example, most Marvel fans tend to vote off FF#1 and SC#4, while if most DC fans vote off AF#15 and FF#1, then poor FF#1 might actually end up in a very close 3rd place (by default?) when this is over. If that scenario comes true, it may not actually reflect its true standing, especially in light of the results of the previous few rounds, thereby re-inforcing my (and a few others') opinion that there should only have been one vote off instead of two for this round. Otherwise, this poll has been a very useful, informative and fun exercise. Many thanks. Any thoughts?

Whoever sees 1koko in person should beat him unmercifully.

lol

I had thought about changing the format but it was always going to be the case that there would be some form of Marvel versus DC bias in the poll.

This was always going to be the case when I decided to ask people to determine a list based on "importance".

I deliberately left the term "important" undefined as I've always thought that the best thing about polls was the debate around the poll rather than the placement of each book.

I felt that rather than imposing my owwn definition I would allow those participating define what is important to them. Reflecting on how the poll has evolved "important" is very much a point in time reference (i.e. now) rather than at point of issuance and as such it would be interesting to see how this poll has compared to others in the past and those in the future as and when they happen.

Looking at how the last 3 books are currently positioned this is definetly reflecting Spider-man's position as one of the big three (a result that was probably never in doubt).

We should still beat you unmercifully!

In all seriousness, thanks for doing all the heavy lifting in running a fun poll! (worship)

Definitely the busiest the SA Forum has been in a while .

Agreed. Thanks very much George for the fun poll that sparked lively discussion :cloud9:

An alternative way to look at the poll is to look at the most important book vote.

To date there have been 109 voters of which:

22 voted AF #15 and SC#4

28 voted AF #15 and FF#1

59 voted SC#4 and FF#1

So most important book vote:

1.) AF #15 with 59 votes

2.) Showcase #4 with 28

3.) FF #1 with 22

"Silver Age" is an abstract concept that only collectors care about. The fact that people are making the argument that that the book which collectors decided to be the arbitrary starting point of this abstraction is more important than both the start of the Marvel age, and the first appearance of a "top 3" character, blows my mind.

You guys are making this about Marve vs DC and "Spidey sux". :baiting:

Let me put this another way: it is perfectly reasonable to view the history of comics as a single, coherent timeline, as opposed to a history divided into sections; in this view, Showcase 4 loses most of its importance, while FF 1 and AF 15 retain theirs. On this basis alone, SC 4 is clearly inferior to the other two, and is even inferior to most of the top 10.

B&B 28 got robbed.

"Silver Age" is an abstract concept that only collectors care about.

Perhaps we should change your name to CaptainOfObvious! :baiting:

The fact that people are making the argument that that the book which collectors decided to be the arbitrary starting point of this abstraction is more important than both the start of the Marvel age, and the first appearance of a "top 3" character, blows my mind.

If I really thought there was any possibility that AF 15 would not end up as #1, I probably wouldn`t have voted with my heart rather than my head.

But I would disagree with you that Showcase 4 is not a Top 3 book. It most certainly is.

Let me put this another way: it is perfectly reasonable to view the history of comics as a single, coherent timeline, as opposed to a history divided into sections

Yes it is, in the same way that it`s perfectly reasonable to pick up a ball with one`s hands, and yet that`s not how the rules of soccer are defined and not how the rules of this particular contest were defined.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever run an All Time Heirarchy poll, that cuts across all ages? That would be pretty fascinating actually, up to #4. I think #1-3 would be fairly predictable.

Let me put this another way: it is perfectly reasonable to view the history of comics as a single, coherent timeline, as opposed to a history divided into sections;

This is true.

But thinking that SC #4 is therefore diminished utterly ignores the fact that, had the Flash reinvention failed, or never happened in the first place, it is a reasonable argument to make that FF #1 would never have existed, and AF #15 would have been yet another monster book, followed by AF #16, 17, 18, etc.

(likely) cause --> (probable) effect.

"Silver Age" is an abstract concept that only collectors care about.

Perhaps we should change your name to CaptainOfObvious! :baiting:

The fact that people are making the argument that that the book which collectors decided to be the arbitrary starting point of this abstraction is more important than both the start of the Marvel age, and the first appearance of a "top 3" character, blows my mind.

If I really thought there was any possibility that AF 15 would not end up as #1, I probably wouldn`t have voted with my heart rather than my head.

But I would disagree with you that Showcase 4 is not a Top 3 book. It most certainly is.

SC #4 is a distant third to AF #15 and FF #1 in the SA just like MC #1 is a (much more) distant third to Action #1 and Tec #27 for GA books.

So...Action #1 is "THE" book, bar none? Doesn't matter what century or what criteria?

How does Hulk #181 compare to Showcase #4? How does Detective Comics #27 compare to AF #15?

Are the really key books (disregarding era) Action 1, Tec 1, AF 15, Hulk 1, Spidey 1, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Hulk 181?

So...Action #1 is "THE" book, bar none? Doesn't matter what century or what criteria?

How does Hulk #181 compare to Showcase #4? How does Detective Comics #27 compare to AF #15?

Are the really key books (disregarding era) Action 1, Tec 1Tec 27, AF 15, Hulk 1, Spidey 1, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Hulk 181?

Fixed for ya' (thumbs u

Are the really key books (disregarding era) Action 1, Tec 1Tec 27, AF 15, Hulk 1, Spidey 1, Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Hulk 181?

Fixed for ya' (thumbs u

That's a pretty good list, but I'd not perfect in my world. Depending on we define "really key," I don't think I'd have Hulk 1 in there, and maybe not X-Men 1 either. I could add Capt. Marvel's first appearance, and SC 4 too. But I'd love to see how a poll along these lines would turn out.