• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman Gold/Platnium Variants?

6 posts in this topic

All you Miracleman fans -- take a look at this auction...

Miracleman Variant

Now I know there might have been versions that haven't been uncovered -- but I've never seen any gold, platnium or ruby red variants of Miracleman. This store claims to have bought out Eclipse's original stock. Still, it just doesn't add up that I've never heard of these versions.

Can anyone shed some light??

Yeah, the #1 gold I've heard of. But check out this store's other auctions -- he has

a whole bunch of Miracleman variant books -- 5, 8 etc.. I've simply never seen these books documented anywhere.

Also -- why would they stamp John Totleben's artwork on an issue he didn't draw?

Yeah, the #1 gold I've heard of. But check out this store's other auctions -- he has

a whole bunch of Miracleman variant books -- 5, 8 etc.. I've simply never seen these books documented anywhere.

Also -- why would they stamp John Totleben's artwork on an issue he didn't draw?

I'm wondering if this is just a stamp to mark them as company archive editions.

His Miracleman #17 auction says 199 were made although this site says 500 were made of the 17 Gold. He says the same about the 3-D 1 although that says 300 were made.

From the http://www.86thfloor.com site:

MIRACLEMAN #17 GOLD ECLIPSE ARCHIVE EDITION New Dimension Comics has secured the Eclipse Comics archives! This uncirculated beauty features the first chapter of "The Golden Age" by Neil Gaiman with a gold foil cover showcasing never-before-seen art by Miracleman veteran John Totleben. This special version has never been offered before! Limited to 500. Comes bagged and boarded with a Certificate of Authenticity. FC SRP: $39.99

MIRACLEMAN 3-D #1 GOLD ECLIPSE ARCHIVE EDITION New Dimension Comics continues to offer the un-circulated Eclipse Comics archives! This beauty features a foil cover showcasing art by Miracleman veteran John Totleben. This special version has never been offered before! Only up to 300 copies are available. Comes bagged-and-boarded with a Certificate of Authenticity. NOTE: Does not include red/blue 3D glasses. $39.99 FC SRP: $39.99

These are "artificial" variants created by New Dimension. They've bought up uncirculated issues of 17, 23 and the 3D special (and maybe others) and stamped them with new Totleben artwork in gold ink on the cover.

I say "artificial" because the 'variation' was not made when they were printed - so in actual fact they are 'qualified' comics doctored by a comics retailer.

I bought 4 copies of no.17 to re-sell in the UK - and interest has been very weak.

But I quite like them.

One school of thought says these are a bit of a con really - but if they are genuinely as limited as ND states, they could become rare in the future - but probably not.

The caveat is with no.23 - which is already a lot scarcer in high grade than other issues - certainly than no.15.

The copies of no.17 I bought were 9.6 to 9.8 so definitely uncirculated.

The auction quoted is a bit confused though - as these are absolutely nothing to do with the "Gold" edition of no.1 - the San Diego version signed by Moore etc. Do a search on Miracleman to find out more about this.

Is the no.23 a good buy? Not at $99!

Ewan