• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this a sign of sanity preserved...or the cr@sh??

15 posts in this topic

Remember those couple of super high priced Marvel keys put up on Comoclink last month? Avengers#4 9.6 at $30000 and TOS#39 at $28000?? (I dont remember the exact listed prices...) Followed by the Avengers#1 9,4 at $34000 on High Grade's website... Remember how it sparked a long and expectedly ugly debate with all the usual suspects spouting their usual stump speeches?

Well, for better or worse for the market or crash watchers, they all remain unsold to date. The two on Comiclink have stalled at 15K and 17.7K respectively (and counteroffers have been made a few thousand lower than the ask prices. In the meantime a 9.4 X-Men#1 and a 9.2 have sold.

So - - is this a sign of the apocalypse.....or a healthy market rejecting ridiculously greedy asking prices???

Remember those couple of super high priced Marvel keys put up on Comoclink last month? Avengers#4 9.6 at $30000 and TOS#39 at $28000?? (I dont remember the exact listed prices...) Followed by the Avengers#1 9,4 at $34000 on High Grade's website... Remember how it sparked a long and expectedly ugly debate with all the usual suspects spouting their usual stump speeches?

Well, for better or worse for the market or crash watchers, they all remain unsold to date. The two on Comiclink have stalled at 15K and 17.7K respectively (and counteroffers have been made a few thousand lower than the ask prices. In the meantime a 9.4 X-Men#1 and a 9.2 have sold.

So - - is this a sign of the apocalypse.....or a healthy market rejecting ridiculously greedy asking prices???

YES

i tihnk its the latter, a healthy market, not wanting to pay prices that look like prices 6-8 years down the road

Yeah, I see no one was paying Hoodeedoo's asking prices for his FFs on eBay. Of course, smart guy that he is, he probably never really meant for them to sell in the first place... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, that was something that people seemed to keep missing, that these were asking prices, not successful sale prices.

Of course, as you point out, there WERE some successful sales at extremely high prices. Besides the X-Men 1's you mentioned, there was that 9.2 TTA 27 and bunch of nice JIMs. Too bad for the guy trying to sell the 9.4 TTA 27 that the 9.2 copy had just sold. The one guy who'd pay the 9.4 asking price is probably the same guy who bought the 9.2, but he probably can't unload the 9.2 copy without taking a bath, which is preventing him from buying the 9.4. foreheadslap.gifjuggle.gif

I think its a sign of how one (or a couple) of individuals, with significant disposable income, can affect this market...for better, or worse.

I think its a sign of how one (or a couple) of individuals, with significant disposable income, can affect this market...for better, or worse.

As well as the potential effect of those same individuals refusing to play the game, once prices hit ludicrous levels.

People joke about how small the variant collecting community is, but if a few of the BSDs pass away, retire or decide to stop collecting, a good portion of the resale market just disappears.

A Healthy market!!!!!

Prices for most high-grade Silver/Bronze books are slowly increasing (very slowly) but every now and then there will be more of a PRICE JUMP, than a price increase. How high the JUMP is depends, but it seems that the books that haven't sold have been priced at a JUMP that is too high at this time.

As someone who analyzes Silver-Age Marvel sales, no crash has started yet, based on current sale prices.

People joke about how small the variant collecting community is, but if a few of the BSDs pass away, retire or decide to stop collecting, a good portion of the resale market just disappears.

Great JC, you've now made your buddy Tommy B seem even more important!

But seriously, if you look at the collections of TB or Tripps, probably the two best silver collections in existence, there's almost nothing else they need, except when the occasional opportunity for an upgrade appears. So effectively the 2 biggest BSDs are not actively purchasing, and yet the resale market seems awfully healthy.

I think there's very little to glean from over-market asking prices, until they become actual sales prices...

So effectively the 2 biggest BSDs are not actively purchasing, and yet the resale market seems awfully healthy.

Of course, as there are people out there under the mistaken impression that the BSDs will want to buy back these comics (at a helathy mark-up) in a few years time.

Hey, no one ever said speculators were smart. 27_laughing.gif

So effectively the 2 biggest BSDs are not actively purchasing, and yet the resale market seems awfully healthy.

Why do you think they're not upgrading? If Tripps' constant registry updates are any indication, he's buying a lot these days. Besides, there are at least half-a-dozen other people nipping at their heels who frequently buy just a notch or two below the level they do.

If you're referring to the Avengers #4 CGC 9.6 or Avengers #1 CGC 9.4 threads, if you go back and actually check the facts, you'll see that this particular "usual suspect" didn't post anything on either thread. 893naughty-thumb.gif I did post on and about the "Crazy Prices on Marvel Keys?" thread, but my comments were in total agreement with certain "non-usual suspects" like Clobberintime and JiveTurkeyMoFo (who usually play cobra to my mongoose). Let's put things in to context here.

Can you at least fake playing nice, just once in a while, instead of slamming me and the other "usual suspects" every chance you get? confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

what a thin skin you have, methinks.. I said "all the usual suspects", not specifically the "market analyst /GIJOE art collector". And I think I DO fake playing nice pretty gud! Like 99% of us here. Im not looking for flame wars with anyone... As we've seen theres enough truth on both sides of every argument to be 100% on one side or the other. I said before Gene, I dont reject ALL of your analysis or conclusions, but rather your seemingly compulsive need to "share" them with the rest of us here.

and seriously, Gene, --- I was just posing a question that we all seem to have forgotten was so avidly taked about not that long ago.

I agree that these were over-aggressive ask prices that just didnt pan out as hoped for the sellers. But the way book swere flying off ComicLink at that time, I guess they cant really be blamed for offering their HG goodies at "Only For Sale At A Ridiculous Price If You Really Want Them Otherwise Ill Just Keep Em" prices..