• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weirder Question of the Day- Why do grown men spend thousands.....

17 posts in this topic

...on funny books that were originally printed for 10 year old kids to read, fold up in their pockets, bring to school, and hide in their textbooks when they were supposed to be paying attention in class?...... devil.gif

Why do people spend MILLIONS of dollars on little pieces of metal that were only supposed to be worth as much as the government said they were worth when used to buy something? Or millions of dollars to buy little pieces of paper that you're supposed to lick and stick on an envelope to mail something somewhere? Why am I spending time answering this post? 893frustrated.giftongue.gif

...on funny books that were originally printed for 10 year old kids to read, fold up in their pockets, bring to school, and hide in their textbooks when they were supposed to be paying attention in class?...... devil.gif

so our women wont spend it on chemicals that they will use to spread all over their bodies and then attempt to act like they are not wearing any

Because the world is becoming an increasingly crowded and heartless place, so being able to wax nostalgic through a childhood passion provides relaxation and contentment to many collectors and fans.

The more the world changes, the more we look back. Or as the famous saying goes, "things are never as good as in the old days -- and they never were."

Now, if you ask me why brain-dead speculators spend thousands on funny books, I guess it's because they're brain-dead.

Heh Heh, I'm not a grown man but.... I can still answer on why I spend thousands on all my collectibles...

Because I can!

I was right! thumbsup2.gif

Now, if you ask me why brain-dead speculators spend thousands on funny books, I guess it's because they're brain-dead.

Those funny books ain't funny no more, it would seem.

Another reason might be that it fills a void (although that also echoes what JC said).

Why Not confused-smiley-013.gif, its cheaper than Sex 27_laughing.gif

My brother, if you can't find sex cheaper than some of these people pay for slabbed funnybooks, you're looking for love in all the wrong places..... devil.gif

The Bunny Ranch? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Bunny Ranch, The Sagebrush ranch, a few others, take your pick. Maybe we'll have the First Annual "CGC Forum Members Nevada Brothel Road Trip", with me as your tour guide, as someone who used to live in that fine state! thumbsup2.gif

Because the world is becoming an increasingly crowded and heartless place, so being able to wax nostalgic through a childhood passion provides relaxation and contentment to many collectors and fans.

The more the world changes, the more we look back. Or as the famous saying goes, "things are never as good as in the old days -- and they never were."

Now JC, that's too profound and logical to belong within any discussion on these boards..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

(ignoring the speuclation aspect, becuase it sounds you are more getting to the aesthetic side of things) I would say

1) Nostalgia (as has been said)

2) Because there are other collectors out there as well spending money for books and maintaining an interest and vitality in the "hobby". The higher end books offer bragging rights and the thrill/pleasure of knowing you have something a lot of collectors want but don't have.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifhi.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Nostalgia and escapism...