• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 on the Bay Restored VERY HIGH GRADE

170 posts in this topic

"sorted'.... ;)

I wasn't gonna say anything, 'cuz we all love each other.

Is that the line for this week....?

DISCLAIMER: the preceding comment, though snarky, is not aimed at anyone in particular, and should in no event be perceived as insulting, harassing, haranguing, or otherwise rude to any specific person in any way.

This seller has 3 negatives and a neutral feedback within 2 weeks. Also listings are private and who lists a high end comic without having it graded. Too many red flags for me.

You've been a red flag ever since you got here. :roflmao:

On a serious note pointing out the facts.

How have you been, Harold?

As far as trimming is concerned, one of the bidders measured 30 of his silver age books and this measures correctly but I've also looked at other AF 15's, paying attention to the 12c price at the spine to the opposite side and it seems dead on...

This is not the way to detect the vast majority of trimming done to comics. This simple analysis assumes someone has hacked off a significant portion, i.e. 1/16" or more off of an entire edge, but that's not the kind of trimming skilled people tend to do; it's trimming 1/128" to 1/32" off of the cover or interior but not both, and perhaps only on a single edge, including the bottom or top. Many people do the bottom edge only because they know people will commonly overlook it. Hacking enough off of the book and the cover together to the point where it falls outside the normal variances of how Silver Age books are cut--and they can easily vary in width by half an inch--is very, very rare, unless we're talking about a completely amateur restorer working on their first few books, which wouldn't be common at all on a book like Amazing Fantasy 15 even in he 1980s when you bought it.

Book height and width varies too much to use it as an indicator of anything besides a truly awful, beginner trim.

As far as trimming is concerned, one of the bidders measured 30 of his silver age books and this measures correctly but I've also looked at other AF 15's, paying attention to the 12c price at the spine to the opposite side and it seems dead on...

This is not the way to detect the vast majority of trimming done to comics. This simple analysis assumes someone has hacked off a significant portion, i.e. 1/16" or more off of an entire edge, but that's not the kind of trimming skilled people tend to do; it's trimming 1/128" to 1/32" off of the cover or interior but not both, and perhaps only on a single edge, including the bottom or top. Many people do the bottom edge only because they know people will commonly overlook it. Hacking enough off of the book and the cover together to the point where it falls outside the normal variances of how Silver Age books are cut--and they can easily vary in width by half an inch--is very, very rare, unless we're talking about a completely amateur restorer working on their first few books, which wouldn't be common at all on a book like Amazing Fantasy 15 even in he 1980s when you bought it.

Book height and width varies too much to use it as an indicator of anything besides a truly awful, beginner trim.

(thumbs u

It takes a professional, IMO, to detect and id trimming on a comic book.

Did I get a photo at my name yet???? testing....

Nope. Go to 'My Profile' under the 'My Stuff' link at the top of the page. Toward the bottom of that page, there's a button to 'Choose File' for your avatar. Click that and it'll open a dialog box to navigate to the picture on your computer. After you've navigated to the picture and selected it, be sure to click the 'Submit' button back on the page.

NOTE: The picture has to be no larger than 75x75 pixels, and can be in gif, jpg, or png format.