• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 on the Bay Restored VERY HIGH GRADE

170 posts in this topic

Yes, once we have that information, combined with knowing that it grades "VF-NM" (8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.4) we can start a bidding frenzy! After all we're all friends here, and what's a half dozen grades between friends?

I just had a 1 hour conversation with Roy...

Interesting guy... and we exchanged a lot of information in a very short time. He soon realized that I've been a collector for many years as I know most of the comic shop owners here in Toronto as well as he does.

I think by the time we finished our conversation, he wanted to buy the book.. but he also realized that I'm not someone that has had the time time or inertia to make that huge effort of dealing with Customs, getting receipts of shipping for return purposes and all the associated with sending a book to CGC from Canada.

The reason for the "ALL CAPS" is not old school... it's a form of yelling... as you all rightfully deserved it.

I did not call anyone here a "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point"... and if you read back, I said that a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point bought a toy cap gun from me and was too stupid to realize it was original and he thought it was a fake and complained... so the tenure of direction was toward him and not to anyone on this website... but all the other comments were of course...

I've been insulted and Roy heard an ear full for about an hour... and he defended all of you and after the "venting", I started to calm down a bit.

I have a lot of comics... lots.... I had been buying them since 1975 and stopped in 1993... I also bought the entire inventory of Planet Earth Comics when my friend that ran it became ill with Crone's Disease in 1989.

At the time, comic shops were dropping like flies and although I always wanted to open my own store, there were more "effective" ways for me to make money in life, so it never happened.

So there you have it... yes the AF 15 is original, yes it has restoration, yes it's pretty and I sealed it in mylar and never opened it until last week and you can see the restoration work (barely) on the inside of the front and back covers. They did a good job and the book photographs very well.

I know industry has changed a lot and that's fine, but I will not sit back and be ridiculed and be dragged through the mud because I have a nice comic...

Roy will be back after the weekend and we'll be talking further about some other business developments so I look forward to our future dealings together... he now realizes a lot more than he did before... but I'll let him explain that to everyone on this site.

All the best....

Google the names "robojo" or "cdpaoli" just to name a few and you'll quickly understand the reactions and responses of a lot of people on here.

There are so many scammers out there, it's gotten to the point that people just assume anyone that we dont know is running a scam (thumbs u

He's correct in that we spoke in detail...twice today.

Long story short, there have been plenty of boardies that were new and bashed on here simply because they did not have the "board etiquette" that most of us have matured into. I was one of those people. Heck, Seanfingh still uses me as his personal punching bag sometimes.

lol

In regards to the book, he did not really feel comfortable about showing the book by inviting a stranger to his house but even still, offered to allow me to see it tomorrow (before he knew of my trip).

Unfortunately, I am leaving for Chicago tonight (long drive) and even if he had the time today it would be difficult for me to see it because he lives on the other side of Toronto from me..around a 3 hour round trip, best case scenario.

My gut tells me that the seller is describing the book to the best of his ability. That's my edumicated guess based on my conversation with him and without me seeing the book.

I do plan on making contact with him when I return from Chicago as we have some common interests outside of comics.

(thumbs u

That's all I can say. Take from my post what you will.

Yes, once we have that information, combined with knowing that it grades "VF-NM" (8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.4) we can start a bidding frenzy! After all we're all friends here, and what's a half dozen grades between friends?

It's fisting time!

:shy:

Here's an idea:

Let's give the guy a chance.

Just a chance.

Yes, he comes off abrasive.

Yes, he has been pretty rude.

All granted.

But, instead of permanently painting him as "that guy", and forever reacting to him as if he was a scumbag...you know, like how some people treat others around here...why not give the guy a chance?

Welcome to the boards, ffrontier. I'm comic-sutra, who told you about these boards (one of many, I'm sure.) I'm glad you joined, and I truly hope that things work out well for both you and your prospective buyers.

Good luck.

And, if ffrontier turns out to be a dud, blame me.

I can handle it.

Roy can't come here to see the book...

He lives 2 hours away and he's leaving tonight for Chicago... but we tried...

I told him if the book doesn't climb to a certain amount by Friday, I'm pulling the auction and I'll keep it... and CGC it... I guess I'll just have to give it to my buddy to send it in for me, or something.

He's a nice guy and very bright... so I look forward to further developments regarding some of the ideas discussed.

Sir, there is a Boardie in this thread who lives in Toronto...Bruno _s4

Welcome to the Boards.

:hi:

I told him if the book doesn't climb to a certain amount by Friday, I'm pulling the auction and I'll keep it... and CGC it... I guess I'll just have to give it to my buddy to send it in for me, or something.

He's a nice guy and very bright... so I look forward to further developments regarding some of the ideas discussed.

Welcome to the Boards.

And I'll vouch that Bruno is a reputable person.

(thumbs u

Welcome to the Boards.

(thumbs u

Aww shucks. :shy:

When I am honest I never feel stupid... well almost never. lol

Welcome to the Boards.

(thumbs u

Aww shucks. :shy:

When I am honest I never feel stupid... well almost never. lol

Bruno sounds like someone who you don't want to "pee" off. hm

I do plan on making contact with him when I return from Chicago as we have some common interests outside of comics.

(thumbs u

Unpasteurized goats milk?

(thumbs u

That was supposed to remain a secreat.

:sumo:

Okay so Roy was kind enough to pass along the seller's contact information to me and my cousin Marco (mndb369) and I went to ffrontier's home this morning to see the book.

I can definitely say the seller is legitimately trying to sell this AF 15.

The entire book is original (no reproduction cover) and the only reason I think that people questioned this was the fact that he took the pictures with an 11 year old 1.5mp digintal camera and it didn't capture the detail like today's cameras.

I did see the small tears that were sealed (very well I must say) on the back cover.

I did see some gray color touch on the right edge of the book (just above where the building ends) but it had to be pointed out to me by the seller and was done very nicely.

Both Marco and I feel that trimming may have been done to the top edge or possibly the right edge and the corners look a little too perfectly rounded as well. We are NOT experts and could be totally wrong though.

Ffrontier is a little suspicious in CGC and everything that goes along with it but we did our best in educating him in the positives and negatives and removing some of the rumors that he heard. Also, he is in luck as there is a Wizard Show in Toronto starting tonight and CGC will be there so we left it that he will be showing the book to them in person and deciding from there what to do.

All in all he is a really good guy and we had a lot of fun talking about comics, cars (the vehicle in his garage blew my mind) and life in general. He was away from the hobby (similar to Marco and I) for the last 20 or so years but I urged him to stick around the boards and hope that he will be better accepted after all this.

(thumbs u

That was supposed to remain a secreat.

:sumo:

doh!:sorry: