• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 50 variant question

5 posts in this topic

I had a question about how many different x-men #50 (1991 series) variants there are. From what I understand there are the following - a foil cover, a non-foil, a gold version, and an american entertainment variant.

However, looking at the cgc census link below for x-men #50, the following books are listed:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Men&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=50&year=1996&issuedate=3/96

- A regular version, a gold version, a "speckle foil" version, a "variant" version, and a "variant gold version". So my questions are -

a) What is the variant gold version as opposed to the gold version?

b) Is the speckle foil version the same as just the foil version?

c) Are there 5 total versions, or just 4 of this book?

Thanks any help would be appreciated

I had a question about how many different x-men #50 (1991 series) variants there are. From what I understand there are the following - a foil cover, a non-foil, a gold version, and an american entertainment variant.

However, looking at the cgc census link below for x-men #50, the following books are listed:

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=X-Men&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=50&year=1996&issuedate=3/96

- A regular version, a gold version, a "speckle foil" version, a "variant" version, and a "variant gold version". So my questions are -

a) What is the variant gold version as opposed to the gold version?

b) Is the speckle foil version the same as just the foil version?

c) Are there 5 total versions, or just 4 of this book?

Thanks any help would be appreciated

There are only 4.

The regular "newsstand" version is standard paper. The "deluxe" version is the "speckle foil", which has a cardboard cover and is "shiny" (for lack of a better term.)

The "gold" version is just the deluxe edition, which is tinged slightly differently from the "deluxe" version. The easiest way to tell is the "1 of 4500" in the UPC box on the back cover.

And, of course, the AE white cover variant.

CGC just made a mistake in the census. There are actually quite a few of them when it comes to modern variants.