• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 CGC 9.4....only $12K!!!! Not a joke!!!!

38 posts in this topic

tucked in the description is the answer:

"This copy has had slight professional (with the emphasis on slight and professional) restoration performed on it, namely

2 small tear seals and it was cleaned and pressed. This copy is 99% original – it does not have any pieces added, no

color touch, no trimming or any “worse” form of restoration.

The small tear seals, which are a form of preservation rather than restoration, are invisible to the naked eye and could not

be detected by myself or a notable and respected dealer from whom this copy was purchased. The cleaning and pressing

of this book is probably the least amount of restoration one could perform on a book, simply to bring out it's natural

brilliance – hence the designation of slight professional restoration.

If you are unwilling to pay $80,000 to $100,000 for an unrestored Near Mint 9.4 copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1, then

add this pristine book to your collection."

Remember: The tears seals are PRESERVATION, not RESTORATION!

Trust me!

does anyone know if there were multiple copies of the bethlehem ASM 1?

i'm pretty sure there were dupes in the bethlehem collection.

further - that book would probably score a 9.6 if it wasn't restored.

Yes, there were multiples of ASM 1! Don't know the number of copies though!

How could it get a 9.6 with two 1/16th inch tears, slightly soft spine corners, and gunk on the cover (i.e., the stuff that was cleaned off)?

Think about it you save 70,000 or more because of the difference in the color of a $5 Label - If I was in the market its a no brainer. Hey weres, FFB he was after that AF 15 resotred, maybe hes interested in this puppy.

I tried to buy this from Metro when I saw it on their site but found out that they had just sold it to this guy. I am also the high bidder on this auction right now. I have a good idea what the reserve is though, and I probably am not going to bid that much.

I don't think it's a savings of $70,000. I don't think the book would be a 9.4 without the resto. It was probably an 8.0 or 8.5 before resto from the sounds of it. The Bethlehems from the 60s used to have a lot of muck and stuff on the covers from poor storage, plus this one had a couple of tear seals for tears that probably would have knocked .2 or .4 off the book. An 8.0 is worth about $9K and an 8.5 is worth about $13-15K.

Think about it you save 70,000 or more because of the difference in the color of a $5 Label - If I was in the market its a no brainer. Hey weres, FFB he was after that AF 15 resotred, maybe hes interested in this puppy.

How could it get a 9.6 with two 1/16th inch tears, slightly soft spine corners, and gunk on the cover (i.e., the stuff that was cleaned off)?

it's just my opinion considering that the book is magnified. further, it's an early 1960's comic. i've had 9.6's that appear to be equal to this book from the late late SA.

oh. hold on..... i see what u mean.

my statement was intended to say: that given it's current appearance - i think it looks like a 9.6 and not a 9.4.

i think it's widely known/believed that CGC grades more harshly for books that are restored.

The book probably had a lot of muck on the cover before it was cleaned. The early 60s Bethlehems had some storage and dirt issues. Plus, the book was pressed so you can't really tell what wrinkles and creases were there before it was restored.

it's just my opinion considering that the book is magnified. further, it's an early 1960's comic. i've had 9.6's that appear to be equal to this book from the late late SA.

I see. It is definitely a sweet looking book, that is for sure. thumbsup2.gif

oh. hold on..... i see what u mean.

my statement was intended to say: that given it's current appearance - i think it looks like a 9.6 and not a 9.4.

i think it's widely known/believed that CGC grades more harshly for books that are restored.