• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Misty Knight first Appearance??

26 posts in this topic

Which one?

a) Marvel Premiere #20(1975) when her name is mention (yet she doesnt physically appear in the issue)

b)Marvel Premiere #21 (1975)She physically appears and her name is said

c)Marvel Team-up #1 (1972) a nameless black woman, carrying her groceries, being rescued by Spider-man that was recton as Misty Knight in Marvel team-up #64(1977)

discuss

I did more digging and found this post by Tony Isabella writer of Iron Fist 20-22 :

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/tony/back20100219.shtml

"Keen detective that I am, I figured out Misty Knight might be up for a Glyph Award when Rich Watson started asking me questions about her creation...

I wrote Iron Fist in Marvel Premiere #20-22. I can't remember if I was originally supposed to continue writing him after those three issues, but my personal mission in the three issues was to tie up the then-current storyline.

I created Misty Knight in issue #21 [March, 1975] on account of I wanted Danny Rand to have a non-romantic partner he could talk to. I also wanted to lost those freaking second-person captions. Stuff like:

"You are Iron Fist, but you probably already knew that."

I was inspired by actress Pam Grier and the tough lady roles she played in so many action movies. I think the only description I gave artist Arvell Jones was that Misty should look as much like Greer as possible.

Some confusion about Misty's creation surfaced when someone, either Chris Claremont or John Byrne or both, decided Misty was the woman rescued by Spider-Man and the Human Torch in Marvel Team-Up #1, which came out three years before Misty's appearance in my story. Of course, the woman in the earlier story doesn't act or sound like Misty. The only similarity between the two is that they both had Afros.

Which means it was probably Byrne's idea. After all, he once decided that Norman Osborn and the Sandman must be related because they both had bad Steve Ditko hair. Sheesh!

That said, I give major props to Claremont for developing my creation far beyond what I did in her initial appearances. He and Byrne did some mighty fine work on the Iron Fist series. I would recommend it to any comics reader without hesitation.

However, my admiration notwithstanding, it was yours truly who first brought Misty to the dance. Okay, she traded up, but I knew she was a smart lady from the moment I created her.

Thanks for spending a part of your day with me. I'll be back on Monday with more stuff."

discuss

Interesting.... hm

I wonder what Roy Thomas' side is to this, since he wrote the story in MTU #1....

What would his side be? They are two different characters besides both having afros and black.

I think you pretty much answered your question...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Knight

The only remaining question is a philosophical one. If some writer decided to go back and state that the guy on the cover of WWBN 4 was Logan's (wolverine's) first appearance, would that make it the first appearance?

There is nothing to remotely suggest that the intention of MTU 1 was the intended 1st appearance of the character at the time other than a resemblance. Retcon shemtcon, I say.

BTW, here's a nice blog with a writeup on her.

http://kb-outofthisworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/early-black-comic-book-heroes-misty_10.html

I think you pretty much answered your question...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Knight

The only remaining question is a philosophical one. If some writer decided to go back and state that the guy on the cover of WWBN 4 was Logan's (wolverine's) first appearance, would that make it the first appearance?

There is nothing to remotely suggest that the intention of MTU 1 was the intended 1st appearance of the character at the time other than a resemblance. Retcon shemtcon, I say.

BTW, here's a nice blog with a writeup on her.

http://kb-outofthisworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/early-black-comic-book-heroes-misty_10.html

Thank you for your input.

With a possible Iron Fist movie in the making. Has anyone asked, "Who will play Misty Knight?" Thoughts/opinions?

Without a second thought I came up with Beyonce.

The Avengers cartoon now has Logan/Wolverine as part of [black] Fury's WW II crew (which is interesting...because I came up with that idea 4 or 5 years ago in my head...how it would have been neat having him in there, perhaps not sure what he is capable of, etc.)

So now I have to look through every issue of Sgt. Fury to see if, in the background, there are any soldiers that look like they might have sideburns!

The Avengers cartoon now has Logan/Wolverine as part of [black] Fury's WW II crew (which is interesting...because I came up with that idea 4 or 5 years ago in my head...how it would have been neat having him in there, perhaps not sure what he is capable of, etc.)

So now I have to look through every issue of Sgt. Fury to see if, in the background, there are any soldiers that look like they might have sideburns!

I have it set to record on the DVR but I haven had any new episodes lately. Or of GI JOE renegades/Transformers. I missed out on Young Justice. Need to download them and catch up.

Which one?

a) Marvel Premiere #20(1975) when her name is mention (yet she doesnt physically appear in the issue)

b)Marvel Premiere #21 (1975)She physically appears and her name is said

c)Marvel Team-up #1 (1972) a nameless black woman, carrying her groceries, being rescued by Spider-man that was recton as Misty Knight in Marvel team-up #64(1977)

discuss

This is one I actually thought about and researched independantly awhile back. I would say A is out of the question. And would label B and C accordingly:

Marvel Premiere #21 (1975) Introduction of Misty Knight.

Marvel Team-Up #1 (1972) First appearance of Misty Knight.

This is one I actually thought about and researched independantly awhile back. I would say A is out of the question. And would label B and C accordingly:

The only problem I have with my own labeling of these two issues is that it might create a bad precedent. Not that I think Marvel will allow this (I could be worng of course), but what if some unnamed writer comes along. And creates some new hot, villian for Spidey on the level of Venom.

BUT, he subsequently writes the villian's origin as being some nameless kid at ESU with Peter parker that appears in a couple of panels in, hypothetically, ASM #19. The artist also pencils the villian's alter ego to the likeness of this unassuming, unidentified kid.

Is this his true 1st appearance?

I see your point Steve.

I called CGC, they don't count retcons as first appearances. Yet, they havent labeled what Misty Knight First appearance is yet.

I think she is key considering she came out before Storm as first Black female superhero (Marvel Premiere #21), has her own series( Heroes For Hire). Plus with a possible movie in the works. I see her key undervalued.

I see your point Steve.

I called CGC, they don't count retcons as first appearances. Yet, they havent labeled what Misty Knight First appearance is yet.

I think she is key considering she came out before Storm as first Black female superhero (Marvel Premiere #21), has her own series( Heroes For Hire). Plus with a possible movie in the works. I see her key undervalued.

I agree with Misty being undervalued and underrated. This has been something big for me especially as a collector of 1st appearances of those "pioneer" black characters.

I, also, agree with CGC on this due to the point I made about retcons. If you want the "first app" or key book with situations like this I would go with Tony Isabella's book since he conceptually created the character.

Marvel Team Up #1 is a more significant book, but for reasons NOT named Misty Knight.

The only problem I have with my own labeling of these two issues is that it might create a bad precedent. Not that I think Marvel will allow this (I could be worng of course), but what if some unnamed writer comes along. And creates some new hot, villian for Spidey on the level of Venom.

BUT, he subsequently writes the villian's origin as being some nameless kid at ESU with Peter parker that appears in a couple of panels in, hypothetically, ASM #19. The artist also pencils the villian's alter ego to the likeness of this unassuming, unidentified kid.

Is this his true 1st appearance?

As to what Marvel did,

Look Here