• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay fee structure

127 posts in this topic

So if I understand this correctly, currently for this auction, selling for $11 plus $5 shipping, I get $14.19 in my pocket on a customer payment of $16.00.

($11 sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $11)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.46 (Paypal fee which is already on both) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

Under the new "plan", I get $13.83 in my pocket.

($11 plus $5 shipping sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $16)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.46 (Paypal fee) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

All I need to do is charge $5.50 for shipping, and I'm making more money than I was before.

($11 plus $5.50 shipping sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $16)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.48 (Paypal fee) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

Now I get $14.28.

Mountain, meet molehill

In theory this is wonderful, but you would probably not be considered "wonderful" if you charged an extra $.75 cents for putting books in a flat rate envelope (Cost $4.75 if you print on Paypal plus $.75 =$5.50). Then you lose your 20%. All you need is a few people dinging your stars.

I'm glad to hear that they will just charge fees on the US postage you would have charged if the person is located out of the US, but that's hidden in the FAQ's and I'm not so sure it's actually going to work.

I'm still getting Paypal messages that someone paid $15.00 for shipping when I charge them $5.00 (after combining auctions).

So if I understand this correctly, currently for this auction, selling for $11 plus $5 shipping, I get $14.19 in my pocket on a customer payment of $16.00.

($11 sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $11)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.46 (Paypal fee which is already on both) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

Under the new "plan", I get $13.83 in my pocket.

($11 plus $5 shipping sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $16)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.46 (Paypal fee) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

All I need to do is charge $5.50 for shipping, and I'm making more money than I was before.

($11 plus $5.50 shipping sales price minus $0.25 listing fee, minus $0.79 fees ((9 percent times $16)*.8 because I get a 20% discount because I'm wonderful), minus $0.30 (Paypal fee) minus $0.48 (Paypal fee) minus $4.75 shipping (because of the Paypal discount).

Now I get $14.28.

Mountain, meet molehill

Exactly.

The end point will be higher S+H charges, as sellers build in an equivalent return.

Is it a molehill? Yep.

But eBay 's molehills are gonna add up to a mountain sooner or later.

I'm surprised eBid never took off.

Anyone every try the site?

I took a look at some listings a couple of weeks ago in the hope of a bargain, but all that was on there was drek. The trouble is that while eBid's fees are miles lower than eBay's, people don't want to list auctions there as they don't reach anywhere near the amount of potential bidders. A vicious circle if ever there was one.

Critical mass needed.

Under the new "plan", I get $13.83 $14.08 in my pocket.

Now I get $14.28.

Mountain, meet molehill

Except with the new plan you get 50 free insertion fees that you can use any time of the month, instead of waiting around for the darn free listings. (Revised in Bold above)

The thing about the molehills is that for the individual small seller like us, it means little, but the molehills all add up to a mountain of extra cash for e-bay every time they change their fee structure.

One would think that shipping profiteering has slowly been weeded out on ebay. Most of the old profiteer all sell you 100 books for nothing, but charge you $50 in shipping have disappeared.

I am glad I am almost done with ebay. I have appreciated it over the years for all the contacts and comic lovers I have met, but its current business model just seems to lack sanity lately.

Increases are common its just a matter of how much will break the back of sellers. I figure in around 15% to ebay/paypal whenever I sell. Fixed listings seem to be the only venue left that does really well, but even that ebay is squeezing.

Wonder what the limit will be before sellers have finally had enough?

For a small seller like me that just wants to unload some stuff, where else do you go? I tried a small ecrater store that tanked. I do sell over at the Corral and those guys actually buy my junk.

I looked into parking a few books over on Amazon but those fees are crazy. They charge three separate fees. .99¢ per item then a 1.35 fixed closing fee and on top of that a 15% referral fee. Plus there is no combine shipping cost which is insane. I only know that as a buyer so that basic means onesie sales.

For a small seller like me that just wants to unload some stuff, where else do you go? I tried a small ecrater store that tanked. I do sell over at the Corral and those guys actually buy my junk.

I looked into parking a few books over on Amazon but those fees are crazy. They charge three separate fees. .99¢ per item then a 1.35 fixed closing fee and on top of that a 15% referral fee. Plus there is no combine shipping cost which is insane. I only know that as a buyer so that basic means onesie sales.

Here, shows, maybe craigs list(?).

Just one more reason to avoid ebay for comics.

Sweet, more reasons for people not to ship to me.

I'm done with Ebay. 'em.

I hardly buy off eBay any more. Not so many nice books are listed there anyways. If people take a kneejerk reaction to this and stop selling internationally I wouldn't be able to anyway.

I am sure ComicLink, Metropolis, Worldwide, Quality, Heritage et al like it whenever they see eBay pushing business away.

This is so short sighted by eBay. They just get dumber and dumber.

Due to the economy, I sell an incredible 30-40% of my store stock outside the USA. It is very common for me to sell a $50 lot of comics to Australia and have to charge $45.50 flat rate box shipping.

If they think I am going to pay them 11% on the $45.50 shipping they are freaking crazy! I already pay Paypal a premium for taking money from Canada and Europe (which already includes the shipping) so I am getting hosed there already.

NO MORE. As of the new fee start, I am going USA only, and will consider shipping out of country only on high ticket items where the shipping is not a large percentage of the total payment.

eBay is seriouly run by some the largest insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the USA. Their stupidity is frankly mind blowing. Watch their overall revneue drop like a prom dress as USA sellers cut off the rest of the world. It was hard enough to sell overseas anyway (Italian Post Office anyone????). This is the final straw. Yes, my sales volume will crash because Americans have little money right now for comics, but I would rather cut my sales 30% then have to pay eBay this unfair insane shipping fee.

:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:

Could not have said it better.

Amen.

Sweet, more reasons for people not to ship to me.

I'm done with Ebay. 'em.

Based on the additional verbiage that mschmidt posted a few pages back, I don't think there's any reason why this change should cause anyone to change their policy to no longer ship internationally. I think most of the reaction to that effect was posted prior to the additional verbiage that mschmidt posted. Of course I could have missed something...

No matter what in the end with all the changes it forces you to really think about if you are going to be selling on eBay to support/supplement your hobby cash flow no matter what it is.

Personally I buy stuff, enjoy it for a while and sell it to get something else. Most of the stuff I do keep for the long haul and have had some stuff for the 12 years I have been on eBay.

But take for example comics. Where I live the shows just don't exist. The shops are terrible...so eBay is/was my outlet to buy and sell items.

I guess for now my initial reaction is I had better just dump anything and everything I don't want anymore and need and be very very sure of myself that if I buy something I better make sure it's just right.

I don't know....maybe I am over reacting, but the fees are in the end just getting stupid.

Here, shows, maybe craigs list(?).

Just one more reason to avoid ebay for comics.

I normally just do free stuff on CL. A couple of times I did really cheap short boxes and they sold quickly. But my last buyer never showed up and it is kind of scary. Plus, you don't have the wide number of buyers as on ebay.

I saw what Mike posted before in regard to fees on International shipping and it IS in the FAQ's, however, I'm not sure if that applies to non store listings, since this is how it's worded in the main body of information and the FAQ does not specify both.

July 6—Fixed Price (Store and Standard) and Store Auction-style Final Value Fee rates reduced and applied to the total amount of the sale—including shipping.

* Starting July 6, to encourage and reward low-cost shipping, Final Value Fee rates for Fixed Price listings will be reduced and applied to the total amount of the sale—including shipping. This change applies to both eBay Standard fees and eBay Store subscription packages.

* Insertion Fees for Fixed Price listings will not change. As a Store subscriber, you’ll have the same discounted Insertion Fees you have today—list in Fixed Price for as low as 3¢.

* Auction-style Final Value Fee rates with a Store subscription will also be reduced and applied to the total amount of the sale—including shipping.

* When an international or 1-day shipping service is offered and selected by your buyer, your Final Value Fee is calculated on the least expensive of your options—your international/1-day option OR the first domestic service offered other than 1-day. If your buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option, you pay zero Final Value Fees on shipping.

* Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings with a Store subscription will not change. Store subscribers can continue to list unlimited items Auction-style for as low as 10¢.

See fee chart for details. If you sell more than 50 items a month, you’ll benefit from the lowest fees with an eBay Store subscription. Use the Fee Illustrator to help determine which eBay Store subscription may best fit your needs.

Use the fee calculator to estimate what your new fees will be for a specific listing.

It's also interesting that they specify that you cannot mark something as a gift if it's sent internationally, that it's against the law, I wonder how that will affect buyers?

In addition it looks like you will have some extra hoops on your DSRs for International sales...not likely to encourage people to ship globally, unless you are a big store and don't really care about DSRs.

If you sell items internationally, check your Seller Dashboard for more insight on transactions with buyers around the world. If you sell outside the US, meeting minimum global standards will be required as of May 20. You can see your global performance rating now in your Dashboard, and if needed, start now to follow these best practices to bring up your DSRs before these new standards go into effect.

# Represent the value of the item (closing price) accurately on customs forms. And don't mark an international item as a gift on customs forms. It's against the law.

Despite my posts, I still think eBay is the best way for me to sell my SA collection (after here of course) ....but the changes are a little aggravating. For me, since I'm not a dealer, and don't have plans to be, a website wouldn't really fit the bill.

I LOVED eBay before they blocked bidder IDs, tried to be Amazon, and tried to upgrade into another personality....the garage sale,know your neighbor thing was more to my liking. It was a lot of fun.

Should be an enormous new revenue stream for ebay. Not only charging on shipping but charging it on shipping fees that can't do anything but go instantly higher when the change is instituted because sellers will have no choice but to increase their shipping costs.

I'm thinking back and realize I have had numerous comic auctions where the shipping was more than the cost of the books. Under the new format feebay would literally double their take on those auctions.

Not to mention that every time postal rates go up feebay stands to make a lot of money.

I'm seriously thinking about loading up on ebay stock. This change has the potential to dramatically increase their revenues.