• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Foreign Comic Collection

14 posts in this topic

My foreign comic collection.

For those of you that don't know, my current collecting focus is foreign comics/reprints. Not characters that originated from their respective countries, such as Asterix from France or Captain Britain from the UK. No, I collect American comics reprinted in different languages/countries. I don't know why I find these so fascinating, but it's just really cool to be able to gather them all and just look at them. All those different countries, assembled in one group. Another advantage to having these is you can really learn a lot about the languages. So far I have examples from the UK, Mexico, France, French Canada and Italy. I am already quite fluent in the French language, and obviously in English as well (English being my first language, and I started learning French when I was about 6). It's gotten to the point where I can easily recognize a language when I read it. This is true for Russian, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish and several other languages.

Anyways, enough talking. I will post pictures by country in my next post.

See more journals by 091795

Great stuff Liaton. Have a handful of foreign edition reprints myself, find it fascinating to peruse also. Still not sure if they're worth getting slabbed (not high in my priority list at the moment, though I did have one - an early 70's Turok #1 Italian SPADA edition - slabbed in my latest CGC submission), but might eventually do so once I've met my near term slabbing goals.

Thanks Triskelion!

Yeah, I am considering getting some of mine slabbed. Mainly the ones in my sig line. I'd do it just for the fact that most of them truly would be one of a kind, as most people don't slab these, let alone have them!

Nice, I don't think I've ever seen that issue before. Might have to look it up!

Here's one from France - It's a thick album that reprints Strange Magazine #194-196. #196 is the original magazine that reprinted ASM 252. I still have to buy that issue as well. This one is a maybe about being slabbed - Gemma says she thinks it can be graded, but to send it in and see. That's what I'll do.

france2w.jpg

By liaton9000 at 2011-03-15

This one is from Mexico. Vintage Mexican comics seem to be very rare, as there isn't exactly a huge collector base there for American reprint comics. Mexico actively reprints Marvel now with about 10 titles a month being released in supermarkets and pharmacies. I can show some of those later, but this is a cool one I got in a trade from Chespirito.

mexicon.jpg

By liaton9000 at 2011-03-15

This one was my first real foreign key issue. It is from Quebec, Canada, and it was published by Editions Heritage Publications. They are the company that have handled French language reprints in Canada for the last 45-50 years. The company reprints Archie, Marvel, DC, and some Disney, I believe. This issue reprints ASM 238-239.

jlu35207.jpg

By liaton9000 at 2010-12-07

I just wanted to say collecting foreign comics can be really cool. I started collecting some of them when I was very young visiting Mexico. Later years I got some for other countries such as Egypt. I was walking and saw the cover to an old Uncle Scrooge comic with the title in Arabic. I couldn't believe it. It was the cover to Scrooge #8. I have tended to pick up comics in countries I travel to. I currently reside in Manila, Philippines and have scouted out a few vintage comics. Some Philippino but some also American.(As the US armed forces used to be stationed here).

I don't actively persue it I just pick up an issue if I see one that interests me.

I have only a few super-hero books that I picked up in Thailand a long time ago. I know I have a Wolverine but I am not sure what else. I have always favored the Duck books and Dell Westerns myself.

I also have purchased books that originated from the country I was in. Meaning not reprints from America.