• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC more lenient on older titles?

3 posts in this topic

Golden, Silver, Bronze, Modern, etc.

With my short experience with buying and looking around at CGC graded comics, it seems with older comics that CGC is a little more lenient with their grading. An example would be a silver age comic with off-white pages and corners that aren't fully crisp and sharp graded a 9.8, whereas a modern comic without white pages and sharp corners almost never seems to have a 9.8 grading. Am I the only one that has noticed this? Is it because they allow for a little more aging of the comics or does anyone know the reasoning behind it?

See more journals by mikelutes

Seem to recall at one point that the page coloring can be relative. Basically, an older title is expected to have some page discoloration over time naturally while the same on a more current comic would equate to even worse as it gets older.

Does anyone know if that's true or not for certain?

I will say this about the different eras: All things are not equal in quality of materials. If you kept good care of an older book those materials stand up much better than today's materials. I've always wanted to compare the weight of equal page books to see if I could quantify the difference that way as well. But I think we've all noticed on older books that rounded corners on a cover don't mean rounded corners on the pages per se. But with newer books it seems like if there's a rounded corner it's through every page and the back cover as well.