• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's C2E2 2011 Report (Pics and Scans)

225 posts in this topic

I was honestly surprised at how some dealers didn't seem to want my business. I've been going to cons for over 25 years and I would have to say that as far as "bad" experiences go, this one was my worst. Nobody was an ouright jerk, but plenty of unfriendliness...one guy it seemed couldn't wait to get me away from his table, even though I was the only one there at the time, another one was too busy talking to his buddies behind the counter to answer some questions about books I was interested in and a third actually rolled his eyes at me when I asked to see a book on his wall. Thankfully there were other dealers who were fantastic with great customer service. Dave Kapelka is a sweetheart of a man and I will always make it a point to give him my business and find something to buy from him, Brad is just plain old awesome...what more can be said, the people at World Wide were extremely friendly and helpful and Greg Reece is a gentleman who will definitely get more of my business. There were more positives than negatives...but the negatives stood out for me this time around.

I understand your post about calling about the dealer but why is it always "One and out". I read constantly that customers have one bad experience and never shop with that person again. Does everyone of my books have to be priced to perfection? I can't have a bad day? I have to say that reading many of these posts makes me feel like it's very difficult not to want to have a dealer/customer confrontational type relationship. I hear it over and over - Dealers suck, Customers are always right.

I had a customer tell me on the phone the other day that he won't do business with a dealer because a book graded 9.4 had dirt on the back cover. He wouldn't return it because of the hassle and won't do business with the guy anymore. And if I knew the dealer and called I bet he wouldn't even know what the problem with the book was.

Granted getting mad at being "Called out" might be considered inappropriate but frankly what does it buy you by saying it? I caught you?

"Granted getting mad at being "Called out" might be considered inappropriate but frankly what does it buy you by saying it? I caught you?"

I'm sure it is just me having a brain fart, but I can't grasp what you are trying to say here.

I don't understand why a customer would come out and say "I know you bought this for $1100". As if he caught the guy putting what he felt was a inappropriate price on the book just because he knew what he paid.

It's one thing to know that he just bought it, it's another to put him on the defensive just because you know what he paid for it.

I hate haggling, but I always ask if the price is firm. You have to, because that's the culture at cons. ;)

I like the idea of waiting until you have a stack to talk price when possible. (thumbs u

Also, quoting GPA quickly gets the response that it doesn't record all CGC sales. :gossip:

While I think Kriptospidey's explanation about pricing inventory makes sense, it's true some dealers ARE trying to rip off uneducated customers.

True story example: Back when I was trying to buy a FF #1, I made an offer to "Dealer A" for $1,500. (His price was $2,100.) I knew the book had just sold on Comiclink less than 2 months earlier for $1,100, so I figured the $400 mark up was an extremely good offer.

He wouldn't budge, and said the price was firm. He just went on about the books quality and said I needed to do some research if I was truly in the market to buy :blahblah: At this point I knew I didn't have a chance, and after his "research" comment I called him out in front of the other customers. I told him I knew he paid $1,100 for it and a $400 mark up was a serious and respectable offer. Showed him the picture of the book still on the website on my phone. At that point he got pretty mad and I walked away. Of course I'll never buy from Dealer A, and by waiting I got a better copy for the same price.

Another dealer who overheard the whole thing talked to me afterwards. "Dealer B" then told me my offer was great and he would have sold it to me, but some dealers would rather sit on a book like that and get an uneducated buyer. Plus, it's a great book to keep on your wall to attract people to your booth, which is something that's also worthwhile to a con dealer.

Moral of the story: If you're looking to buy a nice book at a con, bring donuts. hm

I don't think "calling out" a dealer is appropriate. It is not like he called your mother a name.

When I say I called him out in front of the other customers, there were only maybe 2 or 3 other people there listening to our conversation. And I didn't make a scene and holler or anything like that. I just brought it up to the dealer. I did that because of his comment to me that I needed to do my research if I was a serious buyer. I was clearly a serious buyer who had done plenty of research.

He had a price for his book and he has every right to ask whatever price he wants. No matter what he paid for the book. If he had bought the FF #1 for .12 cents, would you have called him out? Anyone that buys a comic book for hundreds of dollars and takes a chance that he may lose money in the end, is gambling on his ability to sell, and the market place shifts and changes. There should not be an "established or standard" amount of profit in the collectibles market.

I don't disagree with you on the right to ask a certain price. The discussion here was about dealers looking for a big score on uneducated buyers, and other dealers accepting reasonable offers from buyers at cons. You have to admit $400 profit over 2 months time is a pretty good flip.

Calling out a dealer in front of others is low. Just move on and find that better deal you eventually found.

I was disappointed. I didn't have the funds when the Comiclink auction happened, but I did that day. I remember thinking I was going home with a grail purchase since I knew I was offering $400 more than he paid, and like the discussion so far, haggling is a part of cons. I remember even justifing to myself it was OK to overpay because it was an FF #1 that had the defects I wanted. (It was very low grade. The copy I eventually bought that's nicer is a CGC 1.5 to put it in perspective.) Before I spoke to him about price I really thought I was taking the book home. Then to get insulted, the devil in me had to speak up before I walked away. If it hadn't been for the insult, I would have just walked away. I'm actually a pretty quiet person. lol

The way to properly handle it, after you politely explain GPA and your knowledge of what it recently sold for, is to move on and not shop with that dealer in the future. You might even tell your friends abouthis greed (IYO). But calling him out is low class and useless. Did you think that he would then give in to your offer, after your attempt at embarrassing him?

Absolutely not. I mentioned the Comiclink auction when I knew it wasn't going to happen. As I've stated, it was pretty much a F-U that I did know what I was talking about and I knew what he was trying to pull.

Sorry for the derail Brian! :sorry:

Excellent con-report! :hi:

I understand your post about calling about the dealer but why is it always "One and out". I read constantly that customers have one bad experience and never shop with that person again. Does everyone of my books have to be priced to perfection? I can't have a bad day? I have to say that reading many of these posts makes me feel like it's very difficult not to want to have a dealer/customer confrontational type relationship. I hear it over and over - Dealers suck, Customers are always right.

I had a customer tell me on the phone the other day that he won't do business with a dealer because a book graded 9.4 had dirt on the back cover. He wouldn't return it because of the hassle and won't do business with the guy anymore. And if I knew the dealer and called I bet he wouldn't even know what the problem with the book was.

Granted getting mad at being "Called out" might be considered inappropriate but frankly what does it buy you by saying it? I caught you?

Hey Bob! :hi:

I have given dealers a 2nd chance. I once had a bad experience with Al Stoltz from basement comics. I told that story in another one of Brian's threads too. Poor Brian. lol

But after other people here (including Brian) told me to give him another chance I did. And had a pleasant experience that time. One boardie actually told me through a PM that Al was having problems at the time of my experience which probably contributed.

So no, I'm not always "one and done."

I think it comes down to integrity and pricing. Pricing you can always see and clearly decide. The integrity thing you learn from experiences with dealers.

For example, from my conversations with Brian I would buy from you in a heart beat. (thumbs u

"Granted getting mad at being "Called out" might be considered inappropriate but frankly what does it buy you by saying it? I caught you?"

I'm sure it is just me having a brain fart, but I can't grasp what you are trying to say here.

I don't understand why a customer would come out and say "I know you bought this for $1100". As if he caught the guy putting what he felt was a inappropriate price on the book just because he knew what he paid.

It's one thing to know that he just bought it, it's another to put him on the defensive just because you know what he paid for it.

I think I answered your guys comments with my new post above. (thumbs u

Ridiculous. For you to " set" an arbitrary price/limit for the dealer's profit oversteps your position as a buyer and moves you into the realm of a bully.

You offered... He declined. Move on.

Bob, normally I would agree with you that the price someone paid for a book is irrelevant and not subject to challenge. However, in this case, the seller opened himself to be "cross-examined" on the issue by telling the buyer that he needed to go do some research. So the seller made his own bed, and now was rightfully being forced to lie in it.

I hate haggling, but I always ask if the price is firm. You have to, because that's the culture at cons. ;)

I like the idea of waiting until you have a stack to talk price when possible. (thumbs u

Also, quoting GPA quickly gets the response that it doesn't record all CGC sales. :gossip:

While I think Kriptospidey's explanation about pricing inventory makes sense, it's true some dealers ARE trying to rip off uneducated customers.

True story example: Back when I was trying to buy a FF #1, I made an offer to "Dealer A" for $1,500. (His price was $2,100.) I knew the book had just sold on Comiclink less than 2 months earlier for $1,100, so I figured the $400 mark up was an extremely good offer.

He wouldn't budge, and said the price was firm. He just went on about the books quality and said I needed to do some research if I was truly in the market to buy :blahblah: At this point I knew I didn't have a chance, and after his "research" comment I called him out in front of the other customers. I told him I knew he paid $1,100 for it and a $400 mark up was a serious and respectable offer. Showed him the picture of the book still on the website on my phone. At that point he got pretty mad and I walked away. Of course I'll never buy from Dealer A, and by waiting I got a better copy for the same price.

Another dealer who overheard the whole thing talked to me afterwards. "Dealer B" then told me my offer was great and he would have sold it to me, but some dealers would rather sit on a book like that and get an uneducated buyer. Plus, it's a great book to keep on your wall to attract people to your booth, which is something that's also worthwhile to a con dealer.

Moral of the story: If you're looking to buy a nice book at a con, bring donuts. hm

I don't think "calling out" a dealer is appropriate. It is not like he called your mother a name. He had a price for his book and he has every right to ask whatever price he wants. No matter what he paid for the book. If he had bought the FF #1 for .12 cents, would you have called him out? Anyone that buys a comic book for hundreds of dollars and takes a chance that he may lose money in the end, is gambling on his ability to sell, and the market place shifts and changes. There should not be an "established or standard" amount of profit in the collectibles market.

Calling out a dealer in front of others is low. Just move on and find that better deal you eventually found.

The way to properly handle it, after you politely explain GPA and your knowledge of what it recently sold for, is to move on and not shop with that dealer in the future. You might even tell your friends abouthis greed (IYO). But calling him out is low class and useless. Did you think that he would then give in to your offer, after your attempt at embarrassing him?

I read that he called the dealer out after the dealer implied he wasn't a serious buyer, and hadn't done any research. (shrug)

Whether two wrongs make a right could be debated, but I found it kinda funny that he'd done more research than that dealer expected. lol Guess the dealer didn't like eating crow.

Ridiculous. For you to " set" an arbitrary price/limit for the dealer's profit oversteps your position as a buyer and moves you into the realm of a bully.

I wasn't trying to bully him to my price.

I think I clearly stated my reason for mentioning the previous sale was after he was rude to me as a customer.

I did move on.

Just letting the dealer know he'd done the research. ;)

No, Maloney initially came up with a counter-offer based on what he knew about the seller had paid for the book. That`s a fair tactic. The seller is free to accept, counter-offer or reject.

However, because the seller specifically responded that Maloney needed to do some research, Maloney was more than entitled to raise the seller`s purchase price to show that he had indeed done his research and the seller`s purchase price was part of the historical data for the book.

No, Maloney initially came up with a counter-offer based on what he knew about the seller had paid for the book. That`s a fair tactic. The seller is free to accept, counter-offer or reject.

However, because the seller specifically responded that Maloney needed to do some research, Maloney was more than entitled to raise the seller`s purchase price to show that he had indeed done his research and the seller`s purchase price was part of the historical data for the book.

Maybe the "research" the seller meant was to research the seller's reputation and propensity for lowering his price by $600 or 29%. :baiting::grin:

I think the phrasing "called him out" is the problem here. In my mind at least, anyway.

I can understand letting the dealer know that the "research" had indeed been done (not that it is a prerequisite for buying or offering to buy a book in the first place). But indicating that the seller was "called out" in front of other customers by the haggling potential customer, is what rubs me the wrong way.

Not a big deal, but IMO, a simple discussion (not a calling out) would suffice to let the dealer know that the beforehand "research" had indeed been done.

Again though. Research is not required to make an offer. The seller should understand that. After all, isn't the "customer always right" in business? Or is that business motto old fashion and outdated? I just assumed that a business professional is supposed to "take" a little gruffness from a customer now and then. It comes with the territory of haggling and bartering with collectibles. The seller should know this and understand it is better to just politely state his price (rock bottom or whatever) without insulting the prospective customer.

I have seen azzhoe customers and azzhoe dealers, but the dealers are supposed to be the "professionals". Not the customers.

Still, I don't like the "called him out" phrase or tactic. Civility is always a better course of action. No matter how your ego was hurt or insulted.

Now, if he calls you a nerd, or worse yet a momma's boy, then take it to phase three. :)

(phase three is something like "I've got your momma's boy right here" while grabbing your crotch). :) (don't ask what phase four is, as this is a family web site, but I will say that phase five has something to do with a knuckle sandwich). :)

The dealer totally insulated the guy. I have to agree that it had less to do with "I caught you" and more with the fact that the dealer (and I don't know who he's talking about) was condescending. I think I would have done the same, but I also wouldn't really have an issue with someone refusing my offer. There is always another book out there.

Now, as far as you having the typical curmudgeon persona that we all know and love, I think you've been jaded. I don't ever hear that one bad word about you or your business. I have heard some mixed reviews about other dealers, some are just simple "They price too aggressively"...."He doesn't have the higher graded stuff"...."They overgrade"....etc....And of course, there are complaints about dealers who are just not good people. But as far as I know, I think people are pretty consistantly pleased when they deal with you.

I was honestly surprised at how some dealers didn't seem to want my business. I've been going to cons for over 25 years and I would have to say that as far as "bad" experiences go, this one was my worst. Nobody was an ouright jerk, but plenty of unfriendliness...one guy it seemed couldn't wait to get me away from his table, even though I was the only one there at the time, another one was too busy talking to his buddies behind the counter to answer some questions about books I was interested in and a third actually rolled his eyes at me when I asked to see a book on his wall. Thankfully there were other dealers who were fantastic with great customer service. Dave Kapelka is a sweetheart of a man and I will always make it a point to give him my business and find something to buy from him, Brad is just plain old awesome...what more can be said, the people at World Wide were extremely friendly and helpful and Greg Reece is a gentleman who will definitely get more of my business. There were more positives than negatives...but the negatives stood out for me this time around.

Perhaps they were giving you the stink-eye because you were wearing this t-shirt? (shrug)

RuthlessFlipper.jpg