• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broken book binding?

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there was any quick DIY solution to my problem. I have a hardcover book with stitched binding that just cracked down the center. The pages after the crack appear to be breaking around the stitching. It is still held together at the cover. I hope I am explaining this correctly but I may be using the wrong terms. Is there any way of salvaging the book to keep as a reader copy without it completely falling apart?

Here's some backstory: I purchased the book at a garage sale along with another volume in the set. Both books were shrinkwrapped but they had rips in the wrap and one that went through the dj. I literally read these books once, flipped through them once each to sell them and then went to re-read them again for content. So basically the books have been cracked open only 3 times. The other book, the paper appears to be fine by the binding.

Here's two quick pictures:

The big split

RevengeofJimmyBinding1.jpg

Trying to show how the pages are starting to split around the stitching after the big split.

RevengeofJimmyBinding2.jpg

Thanks for you help.

Is the center split the kind where you can see the interior (normally unseen) part of the inner spine that was glued/stitched? And you can see of the spine edges of the interior pages on either side of the split?

I know it's hard to describe.

But if that is the case, the pages can often times be glued to the spine again so you can at least pick it up without it falling apart. But cost would be the main issue.

Sorry if I totally misread your post, and was of no help whatsoever.

I understand what you are talking about and that is correct. I am looking at both books at the top side by side and the binding looks faulty on this book that I have an issue with. I could glue it myself just to keep as a reader but the pages to the left of the split are splitting as well. When those go they seem like they will fall off. The book isn't worth paying to get fixed. It has been recollected in a smaller edition that was why I was selling these as they large and don't fit nicely on my shelf.

I guess I am going to head off to the craft store and see if they have a specialized glue.

You have to glue it and put the book in a book press to let the glue dry.

If you have no experience repairing books, I wouldn't attempt it.

It can be repaired, but you have to know what you're doing.