• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Dentist" transaction date

114 posts in this topic

Does anyone know when the infamous transaction between Chuck (Mile High) and "The Dentist" actually took place for the EC Action Comics 1? Many sites claim 1985 - while Chuck himself states 1982 in his letter on the Mile High site. Are there newspaper articles that discuss the transaction? An old OSPG? Photos, etc? I am looking for preferably a specific date or if not that specific, a close ballpark - i.e. March 1982.

Does anyone know when the infamous transaction between Chuck (Mile High) and "The Dentist" actually took place for the EC Action Comics 1? Many sites claim 1985 - while Chuck himself states 1982 in his letter on the Mile High site. Are there newspaper articles that discuss the transaction? An old OSPG? Photos, etc? I am looking for preferably a specific date or if not that specific, a close ballpark - i.e. March 1982.

why? are you doing a research paper?

I noted the same thing. Thought to myself that's its actually a pretty famous transaction amongst collectors for all the right reasons: Chuck made a killing compared to the market of the time and DA has been proved a prescient investor (or maybe not since he doesn't appear to have any desire to sell).

I'm actually mistaken myself on this, on the site. I'm one of the people who lists it as 1985. Which is embarrassing since I have all the research material a man could want and never double checked the date.

Dave bought the book in 1984.

From the 1985 OSPG

"We cannot close our 1984 books on "Mile High" just yet. More record prices were set at year's end. The "Mile High" copy of Action #1 sold to a dealer for $20,500 and Action Nos. 2-13 for $29,500. The dealer resold the set to a collector. The cash/trade value received for the No. 1 was set at $25,000"

Beyond the 1984/5 discrepancy I myself have perpetuated, you're compressing events. Chuck might have sold the book in 1982, It simply wasn't to its current owner.

These books have been locked up for two long. You are right- as much as we worship the big sales in the last year none of the big books have changed hands until the recent sale of the 9.6 AF15.

There was an article in CBG a few years ago where CR referred to the sale of Action 1 to twenty-something as a group. He mentioned the price and I think also the year along with the most other details I've seen. I don't think it was in the articles about the first "Mile High" collection; it was after that and in the context of something more recent that he was comparing it to. I was following the CGC board at the time and was puzzled by how little attention it got. All the articles should be available on his site so you should be able to find it with a few hours of work.

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

OMG, Some of those are hysterical!! :roflmao:

"Hi, I have a good condition Dec. 1933 Heinous Funnies, No. 1, Featuring Itchy & Scratchy, which unfortunately get wet because of a leak in the house. I want to claim from the insurance company, could you tell me the approximate valuation?

Thanks,

Diran"

Thanks everyone for chiming in - I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

According to this posting, Chuck sold the EC Action Comics 1 for $25,000 in 1982 (for 2.2 times guide):

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg05.html

However, it sounds like it was sold in a "group" deal in 1984 for $20,500 according to the OSPG.

So does this mean Chuck sold it for $25k in 82, then someone (whether it be the person who bought from Chuck or maybe it changed hands a few times?) sold it to a dealer in 1984 for $20,500 - who then turned around and sold it to "the dentist" for $25,000 shortly thereafter?

Is that right or am I missing something?

@tb - you talk about the CBG article from a few years back where Chuck discusses the Action 1-20ish as a group sale. Is that article somewhere in here?

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/main.html

If so, I'm having a really tough time finding it.

The plot thickens a bit more - thanks tb for the tip on the CBG article. Thanks to Google I was able to find more information from that massive index of blogs.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg65.html

"but by 1981, I was selling off titles I really liked, such as the key Timely titles MYSTIC, DARING, and TOUGH KID SQUAD. Continuing my downward slide, in 1982, I was forced to sell ACTION #1-11 (all for $50,000...). In 1983, I was forced to let go of MARVEL MYSTERY #1-10 (also for $50,000), my favorite remaining key run."

This seems to match what rob_react was quoting from the OSPG. Although not exactly as the year's don't really match and there is an issue discrepancy (1-11 vs 1-13). It is quite possible that Chuck is "misremembering" - but that seemed like a pretty big blow and you would think he would remember it correctly, but after reading this posting:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg168.html

I'm not 100% sure anymore.

"Believe me when I say that, if I hadn't been so desperate for cash, I would never have sold that book in 1983."

So was it 1982? 1983? OR 1984? You would think that such a famous book would have more of a paper trail.

So from what I have gathered thus far, it sounds like Chuck sold it to a dealer (in 1982, 83, or 84) who turned around and sold it to "the dentist" - who as far as anyone knows is still holding on to the book.

I would really love more information, accurate information - so if you have anything to add please do.

The plot thickens a bit more - thanks tb for the tip on the CBG article. Thanks to Google I was able to find more information from that massive index of blogs.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg65.html

"but by 1981, I was selling off titles I really liked, such as the key Timely titles MYSTIC, DARING, and TOUGH KID SQUAD. Continuing my downward slide, in 1982, I was forced to sell ACTION #1-11 (all for $50,000...). In 1983, I was forced to let go of MARVEL MYSTERY #1-10 (also for $50,000), my favorite remaining key run."

This seems to match what rob_react was quoting from the OSPG. Although not exactly as the year's don't really match and there is an issue discrepancy (1-11 vs 1-13). It is quite possible that Chuck is "misremembering" - but that seemed like a pretty big blow and you would think he would remember it correctly, but after reading this posting:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg168.html

I'm not 100% sure anymore.

"Believe me when I say that, if I hadn't been so desperate for cash, I would never have sold that book in 1983."

So was it 1982? 1983? OR 1984? You would think that such a famous book would have more of a paper trail.

So from what I have gathered thus far, it sounds like Chuck sold it to a dealer (in 1982, 83, or 84) who turned around and sold it to "the dentist" - who as far as anyone knows is still holding on to the book.

I would really love more information, accurate information - so if you have anything to add please do.

Anderson is pretty easy to contact. Why not just call him and ask what year he bought the books?

I assume "Anderson" is the dealer who bought the book from Chuck and sold it to "the dentist?" If so, please provide more information as I have no idea who Anderson is or how to contact him.

Anderson is "The Dentist". He has an ad(including his phone number) in the Overstreet guide every year.