• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Dentist" transaction date

114 posts in this topic

I assume "Anderson" is the dealer who bought the book from Chuck and sold it to "the dentist?" If so, please provide more information as I have no idea who Anderson is or how to contact him.

Anderson is "The Dentist". He has an ad(including his phone number) in the Overstreet guide every year.

Wasn't Jon Snyder the dealer who bought them from Chuck?

I assume "Anderson" is the dealer who bought the book from Chuck and sold it to "the dentist?" If so, please provide more information as I have no idea who Anderson is or how to contact him.

Anderson is "The Dentist". He has an ad(including his phone number) in the Overstreet guide every year.

You'd know better than I. He'd be easy to contact, too, wouldn't he?

You'd know better than I. He'd be easy to contact, too, wouldn't he?

Seeing as John Snyder lived in Falls Church, Virginia, and Dave Anderson lives in Alexandria, Virginia, and those two people are the seller and the buyer, and they're about 10 minutes apart, one could assume this.

Or you could just ask them. But that would take all the tinfoil hat out of the conversation. doh!

I haven't read the comments section on your Most Valuable Comics list in while. You have the patience of Job. lol

"I have a stack of Marvel comics from the 1980's. Can you tell me how much they're worth?"

Read the comments on my appraisal page. Those are really trying... Superman 75 shows up every two weeks.

You are a saint. Although that DV8 27 "recalled" issue sounds intriguing.

Thanks everyone for chiming in - I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

According to this posting, Chuck sold the EC Action Comics 1 for $25,000 in 1982 (for 2.2 times guide):

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg05.html

However, it sounds like it was sold in a "group" deal in 1984 for $20,500 according to the OSPG.

So does this mean Chuck sold it for $25k in 82, then someone (whether it be the person who bought from Chuck or maybe it changed hands a few times?) sold it to a dealer in 1984 for $20,500 - who then turned around and sold it to "the dentist" for $25,000 shortly thereafter?

Is that right or am I missing something?

That's right. Chuck sold the books, as a group, to someone (not Dave) in 1982. I don't know who that person is. I thought it was John Snyder, but in doing research last night it turns out Snyder is the middleman dealer mentioned in the OSPG quote. Dave definitely bought the book from Snyder. Apparently the end of 1984. That was for $25,000 and then an additional sum was paid for 2-13. that is what was reported in the price guide.

I always assumed so, since I knew he had the book in his possession before Dave, but in doing research last night it looks like he only had the books for a short time and someone else was the owner from 1982-1984.

I always assumed so, since I knew he had the book in his possession before Dave, but in doing research last night it looks like he only had the books for a short time and someone else was the owner from 1982-1984.

:gossip: think "formerly bigger" in the same area (thumbs u

@Timely - do you know if Snyder bought the books from Chuck or someone else? There is still the 1982-1984 discrepancy. Does Chuck just have his date wrong or did someone else (multiple people) own the book in the interim?

Anyone have contact info for John Snyder?

@Timely - do you know if Snyder bought the books from Chuck or someone else? There is still the 1982-1984 discrepancy. Does Chuck just have his date wrong or did someone else (multiple people) own the book in the interim?

Diestler,

The discrepancies in the dates is probably easily explained. First, the 1984 Guide came out in the Spring, I think it was May (around my birthday) back then, if I recall correctly. The dealer reporting likely was mostly of 1983 transactions.

Chuck's use of different dates in his storytelling is probably due to the fact he's talking about events that occurred over 25 years in the past. Nothing nefarious or puzzling over his confusion over whether it was 1982 or 1983.

Undoubtably, Chuck and Anderson can tell you the real story. Why don't you just call Chuck at Mile High. He's a dealer who takes phone calls. And doesn't Dave Anderson advertise in the guide? I assume he also has a publicly listed phone number.

:gossip: think "formerly bigger" in the same area (thumbs u

Geppi?

Diestler,

The discrepancies in the dates is probably easily explained. First, the 1984 Guide came out in the Spring, I think it was May (around my birthday) back then, if I recall correctly. The dealer reporting likely was mostly of 1983 transactions.

Chuck's use of different dates in his storytelling is probably due to the fact he's talking about events that occurred over 25 years in the past. Nothing nefarious or puzzling over his confusion over whether it was 1982 or 1983.

Undoubtably, Chuck and Anderson can tell you the real story. Why don't you just call Chuck at Mile High. He's a dealer who takes phone calls. And doesn't Dave Anderson advertise in the guide? I assume he also has a publicly listed phone number.

I tried calling Chuck but he's out of the country. I did shoot him an email a few days ago but haven't heard back. I tried emailing Anderson today as well. Hopefully either (or both) will get back with me.

It was a 85 guide, so 84 transactions. 82 to 84 seems like a discrepancy to me. Hopefully Chuck will solve the mystery before too long.

It was a 85 guide, so 84 transactions. 82 to 84 seems like a discrepancy to me. Hopefully Chuck will solve the mystery before too long.

Bob Overstreet writing in 1985 about a 1984 sale trumps Chuck writing about himself, from memory, 30 years later.

If Bob had screwed up in 1985 people would have known about it. If Chuck screws something up now, 20-30 years later, I'm not sure people would notice or point it out. Personally I take those articles of his with an enormous grain of salt. I spend a lot of time researching and writing about books like this and I've never cited anything that Chuck has ever written about the Church books.

Bob Overstreet writing in 1985 about a 1984 sale trumps Chuck writing about himself, from memory, 30 years later.

If Bob had screwed up in 1985 people would have known about it. If Chuck screws something up now, 20-30 years later, I'm not sure people would notice or point it out. Personally I take those articles of his with an enormous grain of salt. I spend a lot of time researching and writing about books like this and I've never cited anything that Chuck has ever written about the Church books.

I agree that the 1985 guide trumps memory. The question really is - did Chuck sell to Snyder who was acting as an agent for Anderson? Or did Chuck sell in 1982 to someone else entirely who later sold to Snyder?

I agree that the 1985 guide trumps memory. The question really is - did Chuck sell to Snyder who was acting as an agent for Anderson? Or did Chuck sell in 1982 to someone else entirely who later sold to Snyder?

Chuck sold to someone else entirely in 1982.

(Someone who I should probably be able to figure out but can't right now because I'm a little dim today. doh! )

Snyder bought them directly from Chuck on Anderson's behalf.