• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MUSTEK SE A3 USB 1200 PRO SCANNER INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE

12 posts in this topic

Hi All-

I know this subject has been discussed many times, Anyway, I didn't notice a recent thread so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I upgraded to Windows 7 and could no longer use my old UMAX scanner. Thanks God for small miracles. I went on Amazon and found this Mustek scanner for about $180 bucks.

This scanner absolutely rocks. Resolution is excellent and it is SPEEDY!

It's a bit tough to get started and I needed to call customer service to figure out how to get a working control panel. But once I figured it out this thing is nuts.

You can scan two regular comics at a time and almost 2 CGC comics. Art would also be no problem. I think t's about 17 x 14

Anyway, i know people are always looking for great scanners, especially ones that will work with slabbed books. Look for it on Amazon.

If you have an old scanner that you love, you can use the Vuescan software with Windows 7. It has drivers for antiquated scanners, it's cheap, and it is very efficient.

But I'm glad you like your new scanner.

I don't have a place I host my pictures right now, but I am running a few auctions on ebay. If you hit enlarge you can see the original scan. This is at a 300 resolution

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250793134609&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Most scanners can do raw books. More interested in seeing what pics of slabbed books look like.

I don't have a place I host my pictures right now, but I am running a few auctions on ebay. If you hit enlarge you can see the original scan. This is at a 300 resolution

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250793134609&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

More interested in seeing what pics of slabbed books look like.

+1

I also own the mustek and while it captures 11x17 (well 11x16.5 to be exact) fine, it's not for slabs.

I'll do a couple of slabs and see what happens. I had not done one yet.

The huge benefit of this unit is the speed. It's almost as quicjk as taking pictures after you take transfer time and all that into account.

Anyway, I'm not trrying to have a debate over this being better than another. Took me a long time to find a good scanner years ago that worked at all. This is fast and easy to use. I'll reprot on teh slab scan and see if it jibes with the other comment. Sometimes a few minor adjustments can make a significant difference.

As a comic in a slab will sit above the glass of a flatbed scanner, it is important to choose a scanner with a CCD (Charged Coupled Device) sensor, as opposed to one with a CIS (Contact Image Sensor).

Take a look here:

http://www.carlmcmillan.com/DOF/DepthofField.htm

for an excellent example (ironically using the Mustek as the CIS scanner).

Hence why these scanners can appear to be very cheap and others, with similar "specs" are much more expensive.

When I was doing a lot of selling with original art and slabs, we used the A3 Mustek for all flat work, but a HP scanner with a CCD sensor for any slab scanning.