• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Rae & The curious case of the Mike Royer light-boxed artworks . . .

694 posts in this topic

Please forward me a "un-abriged" copy of Joans email and I'll take the matter directly up with Joan...not you.

Okay, let me copy and paste all of the e-mail correspondence I had with Joan:

Terry (19 March 2011):

"Hi Joan

Quick question . . .

When you released two LOST IN SPACE paintings to Australian collector Richard Rae . . . did you by chance trade them for any Mike Royer pieces?

Reason I ask is that Richard Rae has been selling/trading Mike Royer light-boxed pieces, based on Kirby pencil drawings.

Kirby never physically touched any of the Royer pieces but - up until last week - Richard Rae was not fully disclosing this information (and, in my view, attempted to mislead would be buyers).

If you did trade with Richard, for Royer pieces, were you aware that Kirby had no involvement in them?

Hope all is well with you. Noticed that Wally Harrington bought one of your early LIS paintings. Hope you got a good price for it.

Best

Terry"

Joan's reply to me (21 March 2011):

"Hi Terry, how are you?

Yes, last year I sent 2 SFR covers to Richard Rae in trade for 3 "Kirby" pieces. This has been the worst trade that I've done as collector in my life, although I obtained too a Stanley Pitt page pretty good. The deal was complicated and lengthy. Richard insisted very much in have a deal and apparently he spent considerable time in the hospital (or at least he said this), and he didn’t mention that the pieces were not actually penciled by Kirby until the art was on the way to my house. When arrived, I sent pictures of this "Kirby" art to Mike Burkey, who confirmed my suspicions and said that the value was not more than 200 or 300 dollars each. I let it go because I was guilty for not asking enough about what I was acquiring, and for the language difficulty and distance.

I traded the SFR cover to Wally Harrington for 2 Alex Raymond "Rip Kirby" strips from 1952 (with nice shots of Kirby in all panels) and plus another nice one of Tarzan by Nick Cardy from 1950. I think the deal is according with the cover.

Best regards,

Joan."

My reply to Joan (22 March 2011):

"Hi Joan

I'm really sorry to hear about your deal with Richard Rae.

I noticed he listed one of the covers for re-sale - at (I think) $5,000, which he has now reduced to $3,000.

Richard has been deliberately misleading would-be buyers over the Royer pieces.

With your permission, I'd like to mention your dealings with him on comicart-list.

I believe other collectors should be aware of something like this, so no-one else is taken in by his misleading ways.

Would that be okay by you?

Best

Terry"

Joan's reply (22 March 2011):

"Hi Terry,

Yes, I know he’s asking AUS$3,000 for one of the covers. Maybe I will re-contact him to see that he says, since I asked him to have the first option to recover some of those pieces.

Yes, he did not said clearly that these drawings were done recently and that Kirby never touched these originals (and, in consequence, the value was very low), but as I said, I’m feel responsible at least at 50% for being too gullible and not ask more before. For this reason, I would prefer that you only do general mention to this matter (to be aware other collectors), but I prefer my CAF ID, name (and the exact pieces traded) remaining anonymous.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Joan."

Now you know and so do I that you are changing what I have writen...Terry...please...don't degrade yourself any more...I've already been in contact with Joan, so she will be in contact with you soon...you honestly need help mate...your acting as a very sad lonely guy...now please let us help you...just relax mate...deep breaths...ok...we are on your side.

Now you know and so do I that you are changing what I have writen...Terry...please...don't degrade yourself any more...I've already been in contact with Joan, so she will be in contact with you soon...you honestly need help mate...your acting as a very sad lonely guy...now please let us help you...just relax mate...deep breaths...ok...we are on your side.

How can I change what you have written?

I cut-and-pasted the comments you left on my CAF

YOUR comments!

For the benefit of the listers:

Just follow the link at the foot of this message and look at the end comments (by Richard Rae) affixed to my TALES TO ASTONISH # 98 cover . . .

right...remember mate...when your ready you have friends here...I know that it must be hard for you to have me here...to force you into confrountiing me "one-on-one" with your exagirations...but please just relax and don't panic....we are all on your side.

right...remember mate...when your ready you have friends here...I know that it must be hard for you to have me here...to force you into confrountiing me "one-on-one" with your exagirations...but please just relax and don't panic....we are all on your side.

Can you define the following words for me, Dickie:

"confrounting"

and . . .

"exagirations"

What do they mean? I'm not at all familiar with those two . . . words?

...now...about your pricing...that was US$56,500 for a George Wilson Cover...or am I mistaken...I think not me friend...and other than your "cut'n past" of my emails...they are just that...cut-up-and-pasted...in the order you see fit...you know I only extend to you the respect of useing your real name "Terry"...your very good with computers Terry...but you made one big mistake...sorry for you...but when your ready we are here.

Also Terry...I suggest you concider to stop using child like nick names...it does not help with anything.

And Dickie, I suggest you stop spelling like a child.

"concider"

What's 'concider' mean . . ?

...now...about your pricing...that was US$56,500 for a George Wilson Cover...or am I mistaken...I think not me friend...and other than your "cut'n past" of my emails...they are just that...cut-up-and-pasted...in the order you see fit...you know I only extend to you the respect of useing your real name "Terry"...your very good with computers Terry...but you made one big mistake...sorry for you...but when your ready we are here.

Dickie, you're sounding like you're becoming un-hinged.

I'm more than happy to show you up for the confidence-trickster that you are . . . but your messages are becomingly increasingly bizarre.

Have you been drinking . . . or (and I hate to ask) are you . . . mentally retarded?

Seriously . . .

You clearly just wanjt a fight...and sorry mate but I'm not going to give it to you...but when your ready for help and a true friend just let us know...we are here for you and all lonley members

:screwy:

It's ok Terry...we are on your side...change copy or even founts...did you just do that then...?...twist whatever you wish...but it's all about to end...or is it...?

I don't have the facility to change the comments you left on my CAF.

Keep calling me "Dickie" if you wish...but Terry I will not play this game with you anymore...if the people "you say" have a problem with me then they need to contact me directly and not "gossip" to a second-hand lonely collector like yourself...you just wish to build problems and not fix problems...knock yourself out...but when your finish we will understand and still extend out hands of friendship out to you...it's ok mate.

It's ok Terry...we are on your side...change copy or even founts...did you just do that then...?...twist whatever you wish...but it's all about to end...or is it...?

Is this m-o-r-o-n for real?

Do I really need to add any more to all of this nonsense . . . Rae's doing a good enough job of digging his own grave.

Question for listers:

Anyone here want to do business with this guy?

Keep calling me "Dickie" if you wish...but Terry I will not play this game with you anymore...if the people "you say" have a problem with me then they need to contact me directly and not "gossip" to a second-hand lonely collector like yourself...you just wish to build problems and not fix problems...knock yourself out...but when your finish we will understand and still extend out hands of friendship out to you...it's ok mate.

Keep taking the medication, Dickie . . .

One day it might work.

Must go.

I'll check in on you later.

I am going to weigh in. Based on what I have seen, I would not deal with this guy from down under. Sounds like a crook and I appriciate Terry bringing this to light. I do not know Terry. I have never met him, I have never emailed him. I have never PM' d him. I have never bought from him. I do however trust the information he has presented.

I am going to weigh in. Based on what I have seen, I would not deal with this guy from down under. Sounds like a crook and I appriciate Terry bringing this to light. I do not know Terry. I have never met him, I have never emailed him. I have never PM' d him. I have never bought from him. I do however trust the information he has presented.

Thanks.

I've regularly been buying artwork from Russ Cochran from 1982 onwards . . . have done business with the likes of Mike Burkey, Albert Moy, Will Gabri-El, Mitch Itkowitz, Scotty Moore, Rob Pistella, Conrad Eschenberg, Dan Forman . . . and others (sorry if I've left anyone out) . . . feel free to contact any of those guys to confirm my standing in this hobby as a 'straight-shooter'.

My biggest fault is that I'm very outspoken and don't pull punches.

I tell thing like they are (or as I believe them to be).

Richard Rae's a crook.

He thinks by simply denying any wrondoings and deleting all the months of negative comments about his deliberate attempts to mislead (by way of removing the images he uploaded on CAF- and re-uploading with descriptions that now take into account Kirby or Steranko never physically touched any of thoselightbox jobs), that his character is now whiter-than-white.

Here's a posting I found on comicart-l.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to point out that this item on Ebay is not an original piece of Jack Kirby artwork. It is an inked drawing by Mike Royer over a copy of a Jack Kirby drawing.

While it's a nicely inked piece by Mike Royer, Jack never penciled this actual drawing.

KA-ZAR Original Art Jack Kirby / Royer X-Men Daredevil - eBay (item

3902958545_

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390295854556&ssPageName=ADME\

:x:AAQ:US:1123)

I have written the seller about this but haven't received a response.

Best,

David Schwartz

No-one here will be surprised to discover that friend Dickie was the would-be seller (before David Schwartz warned-off potential suckers . . . er, sorry, I meant potential buyers).

If you manage to get the link to work, you will discover that the 'Kirby/Royer' KA-ZAR art went unsold (communal sigh of relief) . . .

Now lets take your rubbish one item at a time...first off I've never had anything to do with "Buscema"...never even owned any of his art...this is a perfect example of you getting details wrong...

My mistake . . . I hold my hands up . . . it was Rich Buckler lightboxing Jim Steranko (not Sal Buscema).

Not helped by the fact you removed the image from your CAF.