• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone catch the Hellboy movie???

29 posts in this topic

It was an excellent and faithful adaptation of the comic. Not sure how accessible it is to a non-fan, reviews have been positive but as I left the theatre people seemed to be in either the loved it or hated it camps. Will it be first at the box office this weekend or will it be cows or the Rock?

Kev

Well....when compared to other comic book movies, it's pretty good. However, as far as "good" movies go----it's not one of them

That's pretty well it, and while tripe like Daredevil, LXG, and The Hulk made Hellboy look like Casablanca, the movie itself wasn't no Godfather.

I thought Hellboy was OK. Extremely violent. I thought Daredevil and X-Men (both) were a lot better. It was a good distraction for a Sunday afternoon.

Well....when compared to other comic book movies, it's pretty good. However, as far as "good" movies go----it's not one of them

That's pretty well it, and while tripe like Daredevil, LXG, and The Hulk made Hellboy look like Casablanca, the movie itself wasn't no Godfather.

so i take it you rate this movie a "C"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More like a B- or C+ as it pertains to the superheor genre. I can tell you one thing, the bozos behind the Daredevil and Hulk movies could learn a ton about "proper use of a budget" from del Toro.

Maybe you're setting your hopes too high confused-smiley-013.gif A comic based movie as good as the Godfather? That's like saying that you're dissapointed that no comic writing has ever been as good as The Lord Of The Rings books. It's just never going to happen. I go to comic based movies looking to be entertained. If I want to see a movie in the realm of the Godfather then I stay home and hit the DVD's. Now if we could get M. Night Shyamalan or someone like that to write a comic movie then we may at least scratch the surface of high film. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe you're setting your hopes too high confused-smiley-013.gif A comic based movie as good as the Godfather? That's like saying that you're dissapointed that no comic writing has ever been as good as The Lord Of The Rings books. It's just never going to happen. I go to comic based movies looking to be entertained. If I want to see a movie in the realm of the Godfather then I stay home and hit the DVD's. Now if we could get M. Night Shyamalan or someone like that to write a comic movie then we may at least scratch the surface of high film. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm still waiting for the next two "Unbreakables"... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Maybe you're setting your hopes too high confused-smiley-013.gif A comic based movie as good as the Godfather? That's like saying that you're dissapointed that no comic writing has ever been as good as The Lord Of The Rings books.

Come on, each genre has its expectations, but that doesn't mean that crapola should be held to a lower standard just because it's a super-hero movie.

I think Godfather is an exceptional drama.... just as I feel Aliens is an exceptional action movie... or Fellowship is an exceptional fantasy movie... or Empire for sci-fi.... or Raiders for adventure.. or Memento for flashback narrative.... or Silence of the Lambs for horror/thriller...

There's no better or worse genre, and each has the possibility to be truly exceptional in its own right. The first half of Spider-man (before the Green Power Ranger showed up) was the closest we've come, so the wait for an exceptional super-hero movie continues.

The first half of Spider-man (before the Green Power Ranger showed up) was the closest we've come, so the wait for an exceptional super-hero movie continues.

For it's combination of superheroes and comic book cheese, I still consider

Batman Forever (the Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey one) as one of the

best "everyone knows it's a comic book" movies. Start to finish... great one.

(Movies like Men In Black don't count as an "everyone knows it's a comic book" movie.)

Hellboy was an adequate action movie and I enjoyed it. I've never read any of the comics before the recent Corpse one-shot, but I'm sufficiently intrigued by the characters to pick up a trade now.

sign-offtopic.gif

I'd consider the LOTR books to be about in line with average comic writing; they're full of stock character types, deus ex machina plotting, heavy-handed morality, painful dialog...

It was OK, but I would have to give the nod to Walking Tall with The Rock as being the better movie this weekend. I would say Hellboy was better than Daredevil and a little worse or about the same as the Hulk as far as Super-Hero movies go. 3 stars out of 5 is about right IMHO.

sign-offtopic.gif

I'd consider the LOTR books to be about in line with average comic writing; they're full of stock character types, deus ex machina plotting, heavy-handed morality, painful dialog...

still sign-offtopic.gif

LOTR character types are only "stock" because of all the fantasy writers since then copying them. At the time the books were written this wasn't the case. There was nothing like them at the time. It's not LOTR's fault that so many authors followed the same outline.

BTW... has there ever been a LOTR comic? Seems like a logical concept. Hell... they have LOTR everything else. If it's done correctly it may be able to bring some new blood into comics.

Ummm... back on topic...

Hellboy is officially #1 at the box office. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday.