• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet Comic-Con 2011

61 posts in this topic

Thats a huge haul,congrats. :applause:

I always end up buying 1 or 2 books only when I go to shows. meh

Yeah, since this is usually the only major show I get to, I have to force myself to find a lot of good deals. I'm happy with everything I bought!

The FF #1 looks better in person, my camera made the white area of the cover look weird (grainy and brown).

Thats a huge haul,congrats. :applause:

I always end up buying 1 or 2 books only when I go to shows. meh

Yeah, since this is usually the only major show I get to, I have to force myself to find a lot of good deals. I'm happy with everything I bought!

The FF #1 looks better in person, my camera made the white area of the cover look weird (grainy and brown).

It's a beauty for sure. :applause:

I was there both days and enjoyed it. I was in artist alley with my friends (Matt Kindt - Revolver, Brian Hurtt and Cullen Bunn - Sixth Gun) and they were very pleased with the show between sales of the books and commissions (by the way MedicAR got a awesome FF #1 done on the blank FF cover)

Very cool!

I was there with my 5 year old daughter on Saturday.

We had a great time. I picked up an X-Men Omnibus, large Scooby Doo figurine, a nice copy of Mad Magazine #188 (Bionic Woman issue) which I then got signed by Lindsey Wagner (they seemed to get a real kick out of seeing that).

Daughter found a pink hot wheels car, 4 random female Hero Clix figures, and a Pink Panther comic she liked.

I get a real kick out of seeing what all she is drawn to at these. Last year, she got a Hulk (Ferrigno) auto, Barbie doll, Hulk comic, Hulk paperback and a Power Puff Girl button, so she went a lot cheaper on me this year..lol

I'm already anxious to go again next year!

It looks like I am the only one that was let down by the show.

Sorry I'm late, but I had my dadly duties to perform over the last couple of days including lawn care, lawn mower repair, keeping the kid-o occupied and preparing to destroy on storage and build another in a three day period. That should be hysterical when it happens, I'll start a thread.

I had a pretty extensive list for sketches and signatures despite the weak guest list. I scored three sketches, one of which I have yet to see. I got Matt Kindt to do an awesome FF #1 cover and unbelievably scored a Tony Moore sketch at last! Last year I was #7 one day and #6 the next. For those that don't know, Tony Moore only does five sketches per day. This year, it was a raffle. You didn't win a sketch, you won the opportunity to buy one.

I met Ron Garney and was bummed. He's not the friendliest guy in the world. I approached him while he was sitting alone at his table and looked like he was just spacing out. I asked if he was sketching and he came back with serious attitude saying that he was tyring to but kept getting interrupted. I chose to leave him alone to do his thing.

I had a couple of requests from boardies as well. They didn't go well. Francisco Francavilla arrived late and when I finally found him, his list was full. Cynthia Martin was a no-show as best as I could tell. Cat Staggs did make it to the show but was never at her table. Her assistant was there every time, but no Cat. I also never saw Jeremy Bulloch, Lindsey Wagner, or Daniel Logan. I didn't care that I missed them, but thought it was odd to never see the "featured guests."

The dealers were just odd, too. Lots and lots of toys. This show has always been fantastic in the past for me when it comes to variants that I've missed out on over the course of the year. They are usually abundant and cheap, but this year pickin's was mighty slim. My favorite dealer wasn't there, Dale Roberts was at Mega Con instead! Terry's Comics was there but the books they had that I was interested in were way out of my range. For a mere $12,000 I could have had a nice looking Captain America Comics #1. Tragically, I left my check book at home and even if I had brought it I would have been about $11,750 short.

Bootleg movie guy wasn't there, and he's always there. Another perk of this show is that there are usually abundant statues from all eras and at low prices. Not so this year. The selection was thin and the prices were average. There was an autograph booth that had some questionable materials. James Dean for $500 just seemed way too good to be true.

The costumes seemed pretty few and far between as well. Star Wars was everywhere. A minimum of three Darth Mauls, enough Stormtroopers to take and hold Libya, a bunch of Boba Fett derivatives and a few Jedi. Not a single Darth Vader which I thought was odd. There were a few really cool costumes including Iron Man and War Machine and the big winner as far as I'm concerned was Mr. Freeze. He was just amazing! Apparently he had mics and speakers going in and out of the costume as he had no trouble hearing and being heard.

Sketches below and more pics to follow!

110815.jpg.0951d24a5a8bb1ae29be32098eb773c2.jpg

110816.jpg.a48effed5ab182018ee2bc6250ca8d77.jpg

Looks like my old copy of FF#1 minus sig on the front cover (curiously enough Paul was the name haha) Enjoy your books sorry we missed out this time around..

we tend to save up for bigger cons but it looked like it was good this year!!!

enjoy your funny books!!!

II met Ron Garney and was bummed. He's not the friendliest guy in the world. I approached him while he was sitting alone at his table and looked like he was just spacing out. I asked if he was sketching and he came back with serious attitude saying that he was tyring to but kept getting interrupted. I chose to leave him alone to do his thing.

Ouch Yeah it sucks when stuff like that happens! Its almost better not to see the people at all :roflmao: